SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, peejman said:

What's good for the goose is good for the gander...  release the names and addresses of all medical personnel who've been diagnosed with an infectious disease. I'd want to know if the person treating me was potentially contagious. 

What if the cop responding to a call at your house is infected? 

I’m not sure if we are the goose or gander in that situation but I agree. Right to know!

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, peejman said:

What's good for the goose is good for the gander...  release the names and addresses of all medical personnel who've been diagnosed with an infectious disease. I'd want to know if the person treating me was potentially contagious. 

12 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

What if the cop responding to a call at your house is infected? 
I’m not sure if we are the goose or gander in that situation but I agree. Right to know!

That should be as simple as asking that person. Wouldn’t you think?? Do you think hospitals and Doctors offices or Police Departments are allowing people that have tested positive to work with patients/Citizens? That would be a lot of liability.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

That should be as simple as asking that person. Wouldn’t you think?? Do you think hospitals and Doctors offices or Police Departments are allowing people that have tested positive to work with patients/Citizens? That would be a lot of liability.

That would be simple. Know what else is just as simple? The paramedics/cops:etc. asking folks if they have tested positive for Covid.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

That would be simple. Know what else is just as simple? The paramedics/cops:etc. asking folks if they have tested positive for Covid.

Absolutely. If they have the ability or desire to answer truthfully; that would be great.

27 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Hey Mr bad guy, can you please stop beating me to death for a moment? I need to ask this cop who's here to detain you a couple quick  questions...

Hey Mr Policeman, before you subdue this guy that's trying to kill me, do you have any diseases I should know about?  I ask because I'm bleeding everywhere and will need some care right after you dispatch this guy, and I don't want to catch anything that might make me sick. 

Do I think there are medical people whove tested positive still working?  Absolutely. Does a positive test mean you're blackballed from that job for life?  

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do I think there are medical people whove tested positive still working?  Absolutely. Does a positive test mean you're blackballed from that job for life?  

Of course not. But it should mean you can't be sent to private citizens homes until you test negative. I would guess that people working as first responders that have tested positive is a crime. But I don't know that for sure.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:46 PM, Grayfox54 said:

4Freedom: you might try looking into IT contractors. My older son has and is currently working for one.  They work at various places under contract doing all sorts of IT stuff. My son was working at a Cummins turbo factory where everything from machines to inventory and shipping were all computer controlled. The factory where he was working got shut down by the virus. But he still has a job and is getting paid. His bosses tell him that as soon as they get another opening, he'll go back to work.  Although it might be at a totally different place. 

A good contractor has openings in a wide range of skills. I'm sure the right one could find a place that fits your particular talents. 

BTW: check into state dept of education classes. They are low cost and readily available. My son has updated/ upgraded several of his computer certificates by taking night classes. 

@Grayfox54

I appreciate the advice.. I am open to doing anything (if you know anyone who wants to hire a dinosaur like me, I got linkedin/resume)  and if I can get any kind of contracting work or anything I would take it..  I'm not picky at all.  I would consider delivery job or labor, but my disabilities might screw me up. I don't want to end up in a wheelchair.   I am actually going to see about offering my software experience for $15/hr because of how desparate I am.  However, I will be pretty broke in a few months and debating how deep into debt I want to go.. Once you become homeless it gets a lot tougher and with a 30% unemployment rate I may be living like grandma and grandpa did (but older or more disabled than they wer) in the 1930s.

I am not worried about getting an education right now when I am going to be struggling to make it each day.  To be honest, in software, your education goes on forever and certificates don't matter; it's what you know.    I've been grinding out Udemy/Pluralsight/Youtube courses.  Until I end up without a computer or roof over my head I will keep studying.  Even writing software for our family business, mostly to help my family members; not, myself.  Just finished a huge email software project (won't make me a penny, but may save the dying business).

I am 42, disabled and been working 70+hr weeks for the last 20 years. It's taken its toll on me. I made so many stupid decisions wanting to make a successful business and devoted my soul to the freakin' business I help build even though it is going to leave me poor and destitute.  I was actually planning on looking for a new job and was going to spend next year studying new techs and working side jobs , but anybody who thinks our job market is like it was 3 months ago might have to take another look.  This is the worst job crisis in this history of our country since the Depression (and maybe will end up worse, in my opinion).  

I have been doing lots and lots of studying ,but knowing technologies is only half the battle.  Planning on crunching on algorithms at this point.. I have enough knowledge to write software, but a lot of companies want experience. I do have experience with desktop software (20 years worth), but these days , many companies want highly experienced web developers.  As well, a good chunk of the software work force is being furloughed or laid off and my competition just got a lot stiffer.  I also worked for smaller companies and many people want corporate experience and I have not always been orthodox in all tools and methodologies I have used.  This was another reason I wanted to get into DevOps and was planning on pursuing a career as a more DevOps type of Developer; but , with how things are going , I may not have the ability to do that. It will require lot of studying and time for me to develop a DevOps portfolio, I may not have.  Still planning on learning things like Kubernetes, Docker and been learning basics of Linux administration. Trying to make myself more well-rounded of a developer as I can. 

I wish I wasn't in this crappy situation in life and its hard when you don't have any family or friends to help you out. Got a family, but they are not the type who will got out of their way to help you. And, to be honest, rather not have to deal with them anyway.    Been screwed royally for years by family members and family businesses suck.  I was in a family business and got cheated out of the profits of the business because I was a fool.  

I just want to be a great example to people of what not to do with your life. Please don't end up like me.  I should have known a Global Pandemic would hit that would turn this country upside down and being at my most vulnerable time in life I got pretty screwed.

Don't mean to be a pessimist, but I am truly worried about my future and not just mine, but that of my fellow Americans who also may be disabled, struggling, have many mouths to feed (that is one advantage I have, no kids) and such cannot continue to live on unemployment and stimulus packages. 

Edited by 4Freedom
36 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Of course not. But it should mean you can't be sent to private citizens homes until you test negative. I would guess that people working as first responders that have tested positive is a crime. But I don't know that for sure.

My understanding is a positive test is functionally forever. That's how vaccinations work. Unless you're meaning an antibody test. But I would still think a positive antibody test would mean you're now an asymptomatic carrier. I'm not 100% sure how that works, but once you've been exposed, that's a positive test. Be that C19, measles, polio, etc. 

On 5/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, DaveTN said:

It will be tough to tell. I haven’t seen a graph anywhere for deaths by the day in Tennessee....

Btw, the IHME above is averaging 3 day periods some now, for a completely detailed TN day by day death count you can go to TN Dept of Health. Daily mention of deaths since day before at:

https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/ncov.html

But even better, details in the dataset downloads at:

https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/ncov/data/downloadable-datasets.html

The Daily Case Information download (in Excel format) has daily and running total of deaths since first one on March 23. (opens fine in Open Office also).

- OS

My understanding is a positive test is functionally forever. That's how vaccinations work. Unless you're meaning an antibody test. But I would still think a positive antibody test would mean you're now an asymptomatic carrier. I'm not 100% sure how that works, but once you've been exposed, that's a positive test. Be that C19, measles, polio, etc. 

I don’t think so. That’s why South Korea is trying to figure out why 260 people are testing positive after recovering.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-reinfections-were-false-positives.html

But they can only work with what they have, and what they know now. As things change, they will have to adapt and overcome. 

19 minutes ago, peejman said:

My understanding is a positive test is functionally forever. That's how vaccinations work. It's not if it is a frequently mutating virus such as the cold or flu. Unless you're meaning an antibody test. But I would still think a positive antibody test would mean you're now an asymptomatic carrier. Not a carrier. Your body has defeated the virus and eliminated it. I'm not 100% sure how that works, but once you've been exposed, that's a positive test. Be that C19, measles, polio, etc. 

Viruses can mutate into different strains. Those types of viruses prevent the effectiveness of a vaccine. There have been conflicting reports as to COVID-19's ability to mutate. If it is indeed stable then a vaccine can work. If it mutates it could easily be like the flu only deadlier.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, btq96r said:

hey already wear gloves, and for the current time being, should be wearing surgical or N95 masks as part of their jobs.  Past that, what does knowing if someone has tested positive for COVID-19 do for them?

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't even see how this database is that useful. What additional precautions are they going to take that they are not already taking? A full hazmat suit? Also, why are we stopping it at police and medical staff. Using this logic, everyone should know who tests positive. What if I live in an apartment building and my neighbor has it. Shouldn't I have a right to know so I can avoid taking the elevator with them? Of course I don't agree but we've got to stop pretending police and EMS should get special treatment than the rest of us. 

Also, I'm not at all shocked by the people here who are not bothered by this. 🙄 It has become extremely predictable. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Also, I'm not at all shocked by the people here who are not bothered by this. 🙄 It has become extremely predictable. 

Thank you. We certainly wouldn’t want to be accused of flip flopping all the time.

Yes, you can absolutely be sure when it’s a common sense issue; that’s the side I will be on. Or if it’s a LEO issue with the possibility of them abusing it; I will give them the benefit of the doubt until it happens. :)

On 5/9/2020 at 4:53 PM, DaveTN said:

It will be tough to tell. I haven’t seen a graph anywhere for deaths by the day in Tennessee. I would think that would be the number that is least impacted by the number of tests. The number of tests and the availability of tests in increasing daily, so that’s not really a good number for comparison.

You also have too many people involved that want to manipulate the numbers. Like anything, some want them to show more, some want to show less. Finding impartial information is hard. I’ve also heard that hospitals are being pressured to report deaths as Coronavirus if they can tie it to it in any way. I don’t know if that’s true or just more fake news.

image.thumb.png.cc6104893b6ab01a7e473f8d77144b55.png

1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

image.thumb.png.cc6104893b6ab01a7e473f8d77144b55.png

It's averaging or something, not sure what's up with that.

exact TN deaths last four days

5/11: 8

5/12: 13

5/13: 9

5/14: 14 (as of what time not sure)

Total deaths: 287

The 13 and 14 counts are highest since a couple of days in early April

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
16 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

It's averaging or something, not sure what's up with that.

exact TN deaths last four days

5/11: 8

5/12: 13

5/13: 9

5/14: 14 (as of what time not sure)

Total deaths: 287

The 13 and 14 counts are highest since a couple of days in early April

- OS

Unless the information I've seen regarding the cause of death declarations, at least by some agencies, (if the patient tests positive but the death wasn't the true cause of death, it got counted as a covid death anyway) is untrue, the death count to me is a useless statistic until you take out the BS numbers.      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Unless the information I've seen regarding the cause of death declarations, at least by some agencies, (if the patient tests positive but the death wasn't the true cause of death, it got counted as a covid death anyway) is untrue, the death count to me is a useless statistic until you take out the BS numbers.      

We have a winner here!

I do not think the BS numbers will ever be taken out!

1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

52 minutes ago, RED333 said:

We have a winner here!

I do not think the BS numbers will ever be taken out!

None of these numbers can be counted on as being accurate; none of them. But that’s okay, we only need a ball park idea of what’s going on.

We know the testing numbers are totally worthless. When you add tens of thousands of test, or decide to test the entire prison population; you no longer have anything to compare those numbers to.

In my opinion death numbers are the only thing we can look at. Death numbers are unaffected by tests, or how many tests are given.

Some coroners may be playing fast and loose with the causes of death. But as long as we know that; that’s okay too.

We are only looking at what happens to the change in the number of deaths as business returns and citizens get out of their homes. We don’t need those numbers interpreted for us by people that have an agenda. We can see them ourselves and make our own decisions.

This ain’t brain surgery. It really isn’t even checkers.

2 hours ago, Trekbike said:

Not that they are unimpeachable, but those are from TN Dept. of Health daily stats.

And yeah, moving target on stats I guess. But as Dave says, at least a pretty good ballpark yardstick.

- OS