SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

Will it or won't it be here in winter depends on which doctor your listing to at that particular moment. I have heard it will and have heard that it won't. Have heard we will have a vaccine by end of summer and others say next year. In all honesty I don't think they know much more the what some and not all of the symptoms are and not a clue on how to actually treat it.

I think they might want to find out what China knows about it because they have not only gone around the curve but over the hill and are having few to no new cases. From all indications 2 of those 3 emergency hospitals they panicked to build never even got used. I think we might need to get a few spies in over there and find out what they know that we don't. ……………...JMHO  

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

Will it or won't it be here in winter depends on which doctor your listing to at that particular moment. I have heard it will and have heard that it won't. Have heard we will have a vaccine by end of summer and others say next year. In all honesty I don't think they know much more the what some and not all of the symptoms are and not a clue on how to actually treat it.

I think they might want to find out what China knows about it because they have not only gone around the curve but over the hill and are having few to no new cases. From all indications 2 of those 3 emergency hospitals they panicked to build never even got used. I think we might need to get a few spies in over there and find out what they know that we don't. ……………...JMHO  

Actually, I read wehre the Chinises shutdown several neighborhoods of Beijing this last weekend.  I don't trust China's reported numbers.  They lie a lot.

• Like 1

Shelby County (Memphis) has been steadily adding around 100 new cases per day for about a week now. The good news is that the death rate seems to be steady at only about 2%. 

I have to wonder just how many of the increased new cases are people who took part in the big protests that where happening daily for over a week? 

14 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've been kinda watching the daily numbers. Checking every couple of days on the U.S. TN and Shelby county. Ever since the partial reopening, they've been steadily  going up. Especially after the many large protest gatherings. I'm afraid I see another total lockdown in the near future. This thing is far from over. 

What we are seeing now are the Memorial Day numbers.  I’ll bet the numbers from the protest and people going out to clubs and Beale Street are finally going to overwhelm Memphis in the coming weeks.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Moped said:

Actually, I read wehre the Chinises shutdown several neighborhoods of Beijing this last weekend.  I don't trust China's reported numbers.  They lie a lot.

24 minutes ago, Moped said:

Oh I don't trust anything China says about anything. That is why I say we need to get some spies in there to see what the truth is either way. It is almost 99.9% proven that the Virus was created in a  bio/lab and not coming from Wet meat markets in China as they have had these markets many years and it just now shows up. So I'm thinking since they knew how it was created they may have a medicine to treat it and not telling anyone. They can say they shut down neighborhoods but who is there to verify that to be truth?? In all reality China has been pretty tight lipped about everything since the virus was spread across the world. China knew they had a problem for 3 months before telling the world about it and they kept sending infected people all over the world for three months before countries stopped anyone from China entering their countries. Then they began making excuses about the delay and at one point actually tried to blame the United States Soccer team for bringing it into the company during a Soccer tournament but the timing was off and all the soccer team tested negative for it. When that lie didn't pan out they began coming up with more lies...…...😡

10 minutes ago, Links2k said:

What we are seeing now are the Memorial Day numbers.  I’ll bet the numbers from the protest and people going out to clubs and Beale Street are finally going to overwhelm Memphis in the coming weeks.

I have no pity for all the protesters and rioters that catch it because they are the ones not following the guidelines of self distancing and many are not wearing masks. My only problem is the protests that have children in them!!!

Edited by bersaguy
1 minute ago, bud said:

Not being smart, but what does "finally going to overwhelm Memphis" mean?

Are your hospital's Covid dedicated floors full?

Not nearly full, but it will only take a few hundred serious cases to fill our ICU beds.  Like everyone else, our numbers are going up really fast.  I would like nothing more than to be wrong. 

Like many others, I’m older with health issues, I don’t care to be compromised. There are still a few things I’d like to do in this life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Good point. There have been large crowds gathering in Memphis over the last several weeks for a variety of reasons. Looks like its coming back to bite 'em on the butt. Memphians aren't the smartest people in this state.  

7 minutes ago, bud said:

Not being smart, but what does "finally going to overwhelm Memphis" mean?

Are your hospital's Covid dedicated floors full?

Today's numbers show 2,375 active cases in Shelby County. It doesn't say how many are hospitalized. However, adding 100 or more every day it could start to get crowded in our hospitals very quickly. 

5 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Like many others, I’m older with health issues, I don’t care to be compromised. There are still a few things I’d like to do in this life.

I hear ya. I'm in the same boat. And after some serious health problems last year, the doctors now say I have COPD. The virus could be deadly for me. So I'm taking no chances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

Masks are largely a placebo. Respirators would limit the spread. 

I'm not sure that's true. 

"Two hair stylists in Missouri interacted with a total of 140 clients and six coworkers before learning they both had COVID-19 — thankfully, the stylists didn't pass the virus on to any of these contacts, according to a statement from the local health department. "

https://www.livescience.com/hair-stylists-infected-covid19-face-masks.html

7 hours ago, bud said:

I'm wondering what the something else is that's coming next. 

It's probably going to be a big shock to the country when the Democrats kill Biden so that they can run a new candidate with a prayer of winning, but I doubt there will be much upheaval in the country over the loss of Biden.

I guess we can look forward to post-presidential election riots lasting through perhaps the end of January. 

Only if they get a "Trump Supporter" to do it, that is the only hope they have of getting a Dem into office...and that won't not work either. 

The numbers in my little community are going up sharply. Supposedly, our high school principal was tested last Thursday (why I do not know). Anyway, he was at graduation Friday night, and church Sunday. On Monday, this tool received a positive test result.

Now I'm no germaphobe, but if I felt the need to be tested for corona, I'd damn sure stay away from crowds until I got the test results back.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I'm not sure that's true. 

"Two hair stylists in Missouri interacted with a total of 140 clients and six coworkers before learning they both had COVID-19 — thankfully, the stylists didn't pass the virus on to any of these contacts, according to a statement from the local health department. "

https://www.livescience.com/hair-stylists-infected-covid19-face-masks.html

I've seen that story before, but this article has some interesting bits of info. Of the 148 people involved, only 48 got tested (32%) with 2 positive (1.3%).  

Still... lots of questions. What kind of masks?  Were they wearing them correctly? At what point did the stylists have symptoms, if any?  Did anyone else have symptoms?  There is no mention of anyone being hospitalized. 

2 hours ago, Moped said:

Knox County has seen a spike of 78 new cases over the last 3 days.  That the most so far.  Also have 8 hopsitalized.  Both big jumps.  

https://covid.knoxcountytn.gov/case-count.html

Big jumps percentage wise, but still very small numbers. 

I've stopped keeping up with the positive numbers very early on, the numbers for hospitalized and dead are what truly matters.  The more people get tested, the more positives will be found, but that does not mean they haven't been there all along or that they are new cases.  And even those numbers have been skewed in some places, counting anyone who died or were killed by other means as covid dead.  

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Moped said:

True, but still concerning.

Not to me. A friend's wife is a ICU nurse at Ft Sanders. She says its still nearly empty.  Less than half the normal patient load. There's normally always some number of folks in the ICU with respiratory distress for various reasons, but that number is lower than usual and has been for 4 months. 

29 minutes ago, Omega said:

I've stopped keeping up with the positive numbers very early on, the numbers for hospitalized and dead are what truly matters.  The more people get tested, the more positives will be found, but that does not mean they haven't been there all along or that they are new cases.  And even those numbers have been skewed in some places, counting anyone who died or were killed by other means as covid dead.  

And then there's this. Reporting standards change. I didn't bother to pick this apart. It's all so politicized that I can't trust any of the data.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/tn-department-of-health-changes-how-it-reports-covid-19-cases-deaths/article_7ae95322-ace7-11ea-b4e5-bbc59ef7595d.html

This is where I hung out thru most of this Covid stuff. There have been 2 deaths on the board since it was 8 cases. County population is 65,000. Current number of cases is 150, with only 3 total deaths. Why is one number increasing on a much steeper slope than the other? Data has been a little fishy from the jump.  

image.png.2530129e6491884065aa2976cc499def.png