SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, bud said:

No one asked, but :)

new cases dont matter at all to me.

9 are hospitalized in 1 week in Knox County?

What's the high water mark, of a single week to date, for Knox County hospitalizations due to Covid-19?

Lets measure the "Covid-19 threat" in lives lost instead of how many people have what amounts to a cold for over 90% of those "infected"

9 are currently hospitalized, no info on how long they've been there, or anything else. I believe that's the most. 5 deaths, most recent one was April 28. 

Fun test story from the aforementioned ICU nurse.... 

A patient had heart surgery, tested negative just before surgery.  A few days in recovery and the patient has a mild fever (which isn't unusual) gets tested again and it's positive. Protocols immediately follow isolating all the staff who've come in contact and multiple patients who've had surgery since. Less than 24hrs later,  the fever goes away and the patient tests negative.  Lots of gyrations about conflicting test results and what to do. Another 24hrs goes by, all the staff and the patient get tested again, all negative. False alarm. 

1 hour ago, bud said:

No one asked, but :)

new cases dont matter at all to me.

9 are hospitalized in 1 week in Knox County?

What's the high water mark, of a single week to date, for Knox County hospitalizations due to Covid-19?

Lets measure the "Covid-19 threat" in lives lost instead of how many people have what amounts to a cold for over 90% of those "infected"

That's the number of people in the hospital, as of 10am this morning with COVID-19.  I normally am not too concerned with the number of positve cases either.  But the fact that Knox County has seen a large rise in the number of cases, portends that hospitalizations are also going to be rising, which we are starting to see.  As of right now, 9 is not a big deal. But there are only 22 ICU beds available, as of 10AM today.  We could see those fill up quickly, if this continues to get worse. You can open that link and scroll down to near the bottom and see that information.  

Hat's off to Knox County Health Department for doing a great job getting the public this information!  We are very fortunate to have such a great department!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Moped said:

That's the number of people in the hospital, as of 10am this morning with COVID-19.  I normally am not too concerned with the number of positve cases either.  But the fact that Knox County has seen a large rise in the number of cases, portends that hospitalizations are also going to be rising, which we are starting to see.  As of right now, 9 is not a big deal. But there are only 22 ICU beds available, as of 10AM today.  We could see those fill up quickly, if this continues to get worse. You can open that link and scroll down to near the bottom and see that information.  

Hat's off to Knox County Health Department for doing a great job getting the public this information!  We are very fortunate to have such a great department!!!

Keep in mind that hospitalized doesn't necessarily mean ICU or ventilator.

My wife told me today that a friend's daughter tested positive with no symptoms. She takes ballet and the instructor got the sniffles, tested positive, so all 42 students got tested.  I'm not aware that any of them are sick beyond the sniffles. 

So from what I've heard about reporting, that's at least 2 positives and something like 100 probable as the CDC counts all family members as probable when one is positive. 

That said, I agree that positive tests are nearly meaningless. Unfortunately the deaths are the most accurate, and even those are questionable. 

• Like 2

Texas (not exactly a liberal run state) having to pump the brakes and even dial back reopening in some areas in response to unpleasant data.  Hopefully not something that replicates across the country, but I'm going to take my default position and not be overly optimistic.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/06/26/texas-gov-greg-abbott-closes-bars-dials-back-restaurants-to-half-capacity-shuts-river-rafting/

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Texas (not exactly a liberal run state) having to pump the brakes and even dial back reopening in some areas in response to unpleasant data.  Hopefully not something that replicates across the country, but I'm going to take my default position and not be overly optimistic.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/06/26/texas-gov-greg-abbott-closes-bars-dials-back-restaurants-to-half-capacity-shuts-river-rafting/

With all these riots that went unchecked, and even encouraged by the government, be prepared for a bunch more non compliance if they try to shut things down again.  

• Like 3
15 hours ago, peejman said:

the CDC counts all family members as probable when one is positive. 

And that's a problem.  A friend's niece recently tested positive after having minor symptoms.  Eight of her family members were routinely in contact and close proximity to her and all eight tested negative twice.  They all think her positive test is crap, but for the record, that's nine new cases.  

• Like 1

Time for a new mask :waiting:

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said Thursday that he would use federal power to require Americans to wear face masks in public -- a move that would mark a significant intervention by the federal government and could see considerable pushback from states.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-federal-power-require-masks

mask.png

Edited by xsubsailor
  • Like 1

remember, the purpose of the mask isn't to protect the person wearing it, it's to keep the person wearing it from spreading the disease, if they have it, through aerosolized droplets of spit and such.

when a surgeon wears a surgical mask, it's not to keep him from breathing in stuff from the patient, it's to keep him from breathing onto the incisions and causing an infection that way.

i, for one, am glad wearing a mask in public is normalized for the moment, what with facial recognition technology coming into play.

2 hours ago, Omega said:

With all these riots that went unchecked, and even encouraged by the government, be prepared for a bunch more non compliance if they try to shut things down again.  

I think shut down will get some tweaks from what we saw in March/April if it happens.  States are facing some serious shortfalls, and we're pretty much at the point where it'll be just closing the low hanging fruit to prevent spreading (bars and small concert venues being the most obvious), and realizing people are going to be sick, or too cautious to engage in commerce. 

Unless the data points change, sooner or later we'll just have to admit our country isn't able/willing to deal with it like others have, and just accept the fate of letting the virus run its course until a vaccine gets into the mix.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Unless the data points change, sooner or later we'll just have to admit our country isn't able/willing to deal with it like others have, and just accept the fate of letting the virus run its course until a vaccine gets into the mix.

This is always the way it was going to be. I don’t understand how folks got it in their head that it was going to be something different or that somehow it was going to just go away. 

Most people were always going to get it and the folks that are going to die from it were always going to die from it. There are two ways to get to the point of herd immunity, vaccine or widespread exposure and recovery. As long as medical resources are not overwhelmed, we should operate as close to normal as possible. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, xsubsailor said:

Time for a new mask :waiting:

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said Thursday that he would use federal power to require Americans to wear face masks in public -- a move that would mark a significant intervention by the federal government and could see considerable pushback from states.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-federal-power-require-masks

mask.png

What ever happened to the slogan “my body; my choice”?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, bud said:

With respect,

My right to occupy public or private space, that you, Oh Shoot, dont own, end because your nose is in that shared space?

No, you have the right to keep your nose at your home where you own the space.

Even if we are in a public place where we both have a right to be, you don't have the right to take an unjustified swing at me.

The quip was to question whether currently there's a difference between your fist and your mist.

- OS

45 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

How about "your rights end where my nose begins"?

- OS

This has never been an issue before with any other illness we’ve encountered.

Historically, we’ve only quarantined sick people.

If you’re scared, stay home.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Even if we are in a public place where we both have a right to be, you don't have the right to take an unjustified swing at me.

The quip was to question whether currently there's a difference between your fist and your mist.

- OS

There has always been and always will be a risk of you me passing a virus among us. Shall we wear masks in perpetuity?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I can't believe how passionate some people are about not wearing a mask. Talk about 1st world problems. Is it really that big of an inconvenience? 

I feel like this is the point where I reiterate my stance. If a business asks politely, I’ll wear one. If they are rude, I’ll leave without conducting any business. Government agents can #### right off. 

• Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Government agents can #### right off. 

Government tells us we have to wear pants in public. How is this different?  I don't like being told what to do either but this is a pretty minor inconvenience. If it keeps us from having to close businesses again I see it as a win. 

• Like 1