SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Government tells us we have to wear pants in public. How is this different?  I don't like being told what to do either but this is a pretty minor inconvenience. If it keeps us from having to close businesses again I see it as a win. 

If I had a dong for a nose like Dan Akroyd in ‘Nothing But Trouble” you’d have a point. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

If I had a dong for a nose like Dan Akroyd in ‘Nothing But Trouble” you’d have a point. 

It's guys like you (and me) that causes the mask patrol to throw folks in jail.

BTW... Last time I saw Erik, he didn't have a dong nose. Has that changed? :) 

Edited by mikegideon
  • Haha 1

They may not let us go to New York or New Jersey :cry:

Tennessee residents hoping to take part in domestic travel this summer may be subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine after arriving in certain states if the rise in cases of the novel coronavirus within the Volunteer State is not better controlled, a health expert warned this week.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-surge-could-cause-tennessee-travelers-to-face-14-day-quarantine-state-health-expert-warns

23 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Government tells us we have to wear pants in public. How is this different?  I don't like being told what to do either but this is a pretty minor inconvenience. If it keeps us from having to close businesses again I see it as a win. 

Pants are less government in crisis mode (where they often enough seize power beyond the immediate need), and more standards of public decency.

I think the biggest point of contention is the lack of trust in government that their course of action is right.  We went from Dr. Fauci on 60 Minutes (I think it was there) telling us that masks weren't needed, then not terribly long after, having the Surgeon General show us how to make one from a sock or old t-shirt because we all needed them riki tik, to confirming Dr. Fauci was misleading with a purpose to prevent panic buying that would leave medical practitioners without.

All that on top of the usual government statistics that people don't trust, an election year making this another issue, Fox News and CNN having opposing views of what's good for us, ect...and people just stopped caring beyond their bubble because they don't know what to believe.

I say this as someone who agrees masks are a prudent measure and has my own, but has issues with government mandates around them. 

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Actually, the government does not tell us that we have to wear pants. They tell us that we cannot expose our sexual parts to the public. How you cover them is up to you.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Actually, the government does not tell us that we have to wear pants. They tell us that we cannot expose our sexual parts to the public. How you cover them is up to you.

Sometimes I cover mine with a kilt. 

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Yeah, but we're Mericuns! Which includes a general individual disregard for most all other Mericuns.

Hence the worst overall Covid stats in the world! We're number one!

- OS

43 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Yeah, but we're Mericuns! Which includes a general individual disregard for most all other Mericuns.

Hence the worst overall Covid stats in the world! We're number one!

- OS

In deaths per million population, we're ninth.

image.thumb.png.4a65bbb9009b4ed42de36bafaa7aa410.png

53 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

In deaths per million population, we're ninth.

image.thumb.png.4a65bbb9009b4ed42de36bafaa7aa410.png

Besides various other factors with USA vis a vis other countries, this may well simply speak to how well our hospital systems have functioned overall, even considering our 130K dead.

But of course, the game's still well afoot.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 minute ago, Oh Shoot said:

Besides various other factors with USA vis a vis other countries, this may well simply speak to how well our hospital systems have functioned overall.

But of course, the game's still well afoot.

- OS

I'm certain we're number one in data dicking. This pandemic is serving several masters here in the good old USA. It's simply harder to embellish the death numbers, even though they have. Yeah, we have better medical, even though some claim it's the worst.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mikegideon said:

I'm certain we're number one in data dicking. This pandemic is serving several masters here in the good old USA.

I’ll go as far to say that we are all being played.  It’s the greatest social control experiment the world has ever seen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, btq96r said:

I think the biggest point of contention is the lack of trust in government that their course of action is right. 

This right here. Its been decades since Americans could trust anything the government has said. Now they reap what they have sown.

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Yep products of liberalism and the ME generation. Screw your needs or opinions! Its all about Me!

I can't believe how passionate some people are about not wearing a mask. Talk about 1st world problems. Is it really that big of an inconvenience? 

I think its more about being TOLD to wear a mask. Some folks are just hardheaded enough to rebel just on that alone. I wear a mask in public and I hope others do as well. So its a minor  inconvenience, so what? We  inconvenience ourselves on a daily basis for far less reason. Wearing a mask is common sense. But I'm afraid common sense isn't very common. 

57 minutes ago, bud said:

Pffft  Mericuns.

Is life easier when you insinuate that anyone who doesn't buy the government and media BS statics a stupid redneck?

Not just anyone, no.

- OS

57 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I’ll go as far to say that we are all being played.  It’s the greatest social control experiment the world has ever seen.

You really think anyone is "in control"?

As far as getting back to the mask issue itself, science/medicine evolves, generally in a positive way. It took several hundred years to quit using leeches, sometimes only a few weeks to find that a certain virus can be spread by the non-symptomatic, and to realize through experiments/data the effectiveness of its contagion, the duration/distance/concentrations at which it is viable, and the like. Also, certainly there was almost certainly some early dissuasion from the general public using masks due to immediate shortages for health personnel and perhaps also with a mind to keep panic buying as a part of general panic to a minimum. Etc.

There seems little scientific debate on the subject now though -- masks can remarkably reduce infections. Same with influenza strains though, so what else is new. Only that this one seems determined to get to the ~70% saturation herd immunity PDQ without intervention. Which of course would solve the problem, at the cost of x million of us of course.

But we still don't really know all that much about this damn thing. We may well find that all these folks who get through it, even with little or even no symptoms at all,  could have some sort compromised health factor long term, just like some other viruses.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
syntax
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, bud said:

What would make this whole conversation more productive is if someone could post a TN state wide actual number of persons under 18 years old killed by covid. 

Same question for age groups 18-35, 35-50, 50-65, 65-80, 80+

How about a clear breakdown of deaths by age group so that we could more accurately discuss the threat. Seems no one with access to death numbers wants to create this simple chart to show the one thing that matters.

Not a chart but all demographic data there.

https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/health/cedep/ncov/data.html

(click on the PDF popup)

Older you are, the more likely you die. Is that the thing you want to know that matters?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Thanks 1