SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

32 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Thanks for the link. I didn't have that one.

16 minutes ago, bud said:

Thanks! Great chart. Someone should publicize those stats.

I was trying to measure the threat to my 8 year olds life.

Of the 5 Tennesseans under 20 years old who have died, I assume half were sick already, so I feel pretty safe for the kid.

Also, Im certain the number of those actually infected with corona virus is in TN is way way higher than the positve tests, so old guys chance of  death from the rona prob not near as high as the small number of confirmed positive tests may lead  to believe.

TDH-2019-Novel-Coronavirus-Epi-and-Surveillance (1).pdf 283.8 kB · 2 downloads

Note that file is updated daily.

Also on the main page (https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/health/cedep/ncov/data.html)

Under Downloadable Datasets you can get other stuff, including  by the day updated tests/cases/hospitalizations/deaths/etc since the gitgo in Excel file. Opens fine in free Open Office, prolly Libre Office also btw.

- OS

44 minutes ago, Moped said:

Der Mayor strikes again. Time to head to KY until this shakes out.

14 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

This right here. Its been decades since Americans could trust anything the government has said. Now they reap what they have sown.

Yep products of liberalism and the ME generation. Screw your needs or opinions! Its all about Me!

I think its more about being TOLD to wear a mask. Some folks are just hardheaded enough to rebel just on that alone. I wear a mask in public and I hope others do as well. So its a minor  inconvenience, so what? We  inconvenience ourselves on a daily basis for far less reason. Wearing a mask is common sense. But I'm afraid common sense isn't very common. 

If wearing a mask is common sense, have you always worn one? This isn’t the first thing floating around that could kill you; just the most politicized.

8 hours ago, bud said:

Wow thats a high occupancy rate.

Any numbers available for how many of the 233 beds in use are covid related?

I wonder what the avg occupancy rate is for the ICU beds? Do they normally run at 85% full?

If you were running a hospital as a business (pre-pandemic), would you keep a surplus of unused and very expensive equipment?  They don't either. The best efficiency point is just below 100% occupancy. You need only enough beds to be able to clean and turn them. 

As for masks 100% of the time... Is that really in our best interest?  Seems to me it would certainly reduce the rate of transmission of lots of bugs, which is good in the short term. Long term, doesn't herd immunity need to be established with the end goal of a healthier population?  If a location is having an outbreak and the medical resources are nearing capacity, then measures to limit transmission are appropriate. If the medical resources are in good shape, then continuing with herd immunity seems the best long term solution until a viable vaccine is produced. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 2

During the meeting, Tené Hamilton Franklin, MS, Vice-Chair made it a point to discuss the possibility of enforcement and its impacts on minority communities.

"I do want to make sure, as we consider what enforcement might look like, that it might involve the Metro Nashville Police Department. And I just want to make sure to be careful that there's not a disparaging impact on the homeless and on the black and brown communities. The goal is to change behavior not to make citations or to punish people financially," explained Hamilton.

How is this not blatant racism? They are concerned about interaction with Police, or fines involving the homeless and on the black and brown communities, but not the poor white communities, or even the communities that aren’t poor? Talk about assumptions based on race; good grief.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

How is this not blatant racism? They are concerned about interaction with Police, or fines involving the homeless and on the black and brown communities, but not the poor white communities, or even the communities that aren’t poor? Talk about assumptions based on race; good grief.

Don’t you know that it’s impossible for anyone other than white people to be racist? 🙄

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Moderators
56 minutes ago, bud said:

Ok, this brings up a funny thought ive been having.

Anyone, heard the Indian guy, Dr Manny Sethi for US Senate radio commercial, where he's like "I'll fight for you in Washington to secure our border. And to keep out eeelegals. Just let them try and call Me a racist!"

What that makes me think of is Little Shop of Horrors and Steve Martin crooning "I'll be a dentist"

but with Dr Manny singing "I'll  be your racist" 

Wierd. I know. But the ad comes across as him saying he'd go to Washington and be our racist, when I'm sure thats not the message he wanted to convey. Think he needs a new PR proofreader 🙂

I’ve watched his ads on YouTube and they don’t come across like that to me at all. It isn’t “I’ll be your racist” it’s “My values are your values, but I’m not white, so they can’t call me racist.” In the era of demographic warfare and intersectional feminism, it’s a powerful card to be able to play in these kinds of debates. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3
  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, bud said:

Yeah, Im not saying he's trying to be racist. Scratch that. I am.

He takes the issue of illegal immigration and makes it about race, when it has nothing to do with skin color.

Im saying that by him saying that he can complain about other brown people because he's brown, is insinuating that I cant complain about illegal immigrant brown people because Im a white guy. That is racist ideology in itself. 

I can complain on my own about illegals. I dont need to send another brown man to the Senate to justify my stance on strong borders. Just because Im white doesnt mean I have to be silenced. Hes furthering racial division with comments like " let them try and call me a racist".

Ill find the actual ad and post it. 

I actually agree with you somewhat, immigration isn’t necessarily about race. The problem is the media and folks on the left don’t agree and portray it as a race issue. Many Republican politicians are so afraid of being called racist that they stay quiet. Sethi is saying he can leverage what essentially is his racism immunity card to press the issue.

I’m not afraid of being called a racist because I know what I’m about. A lot of folks are deathly afraid of that label and will do anything to avoid it. To pretend that the media portrayal of the issue isn’t a significant factor in public opinion is to ignore reality. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

I guess for some reason, American Indians have decided not to trust the government to take care of them during this virus thing. :whistle: Fairly long article at the link:

The White Mountain Apache Tribe is taking some of the most drastic actions in Arizona to protect its 13,500 residents, more than one-eighth of whom have already tested positive for COVID-19. It’s taking cues from severe measures imposed by other tribes nationwide, including the Navajo Nation, which has curtailed an outbreak that once made it a national hot spot.

Those living on the White Mountain Apache Tribe’s reservation in northeastern Arizona face the risk of fines and other penalties if they venture beyond their own yards this weekend. A two-week shelter-in-place order will follow. The tribe’s Fort Apache Reservation also is closed to the summertime visitors who flock to the area to fish, hike and camp among ponderosa pines.

The tribe’s strict steps come as Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey has declined to impose new restrictions on businesses like other states where confirmed cases are surging.

https://time.com/5860719/white-mountain-apache-tribe-coronavirus-arizona/

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, bud said:

I feel the need to clarify my point.

I realize that pandering to racists might win him the election. Its just I am not voting for a guy who takes the issue of illegal immigration, makes it about skin color, then tells me its ok for himself to have a voice because he's brown, and that he'll do me the favor of being my voice because whites are expected to remain silent.

I hope it works out for him playing into this "racism" bs game the media is playing, but what I am saying is that he is  no better than Al Sharpton with that kind of race baiting advertisement.

Maybe i have a double standard when I vote for Trump who does the same damn thing. Difference is, I only have 1 Republican choice for President. I have other options than Dr Manny and his pandering to my whiteness.

Edited to add the radio spot they've been playing. I would vote for the guy if he wasnt talking about the same racist bs as the other side.

I get your objections, but still maintain that to totally ignore the game being played by the left and their compatriots in the media is the same path to irrelevance that plagues the Libertarian Party. There comes a point where you have to understand the game and play it, or you go home and accept what you’re handed. 

I still think you’re reading his ads wrong. The left and the media attempt to portray any and all conservative values and positions as racist. You can either just stop being afraid of the label or you can turn the game against them. Sethi is telling them that their cries of racism have no power against him. It renders so much of the left and the media’s smears against conservatives moot. I’ll be honest, if that’s why it takes to be effective, then I’m willing to get behind it. 

20 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I get your objections, but still maintain that to totally ignore the game being played by the left and their compatriots in the media is the same path to irrelevance that plagues the Libertarian Party. There comes a point where you have to understand the game and play it, or you go home and accept what you’re handed. 

I still think you’re reading his ads wrong. The left and the media attempt to portray any and all conservative values and positions as racist. You can either just stop being afraid of the label or you can turn the game against them. Sethi is telling them that their cries of racism have no power against him. It renders so much of the left and the media’s smears against conservatives moot. I’ll be honest, if that’s why it takes to be effective, then I’m willing to get behind it. 

With race not being a consideration with me, both Sethi and Hagerty are saying all the right things. The problem is I have no way of knowing if either of them will keep their promises once they go to Washington. One has no track record, and the other doesn’t have any record on the issues.

The only differences I see so far that would sway me would be that Hagerty stands with the Police and the rule of law. He has it on his web site, so he isn’t worried about the votes of those supporting the lies. Sethi does not mention it on his web site. I feel if I have to ask, I probably won’t get a straightforward answer.

But Sethi is a trauma surgeon, and Hagerty was an investment banker. So points go to Sethi for that.

But it’s a long way to November yet; I’m trying to pay close attention to what’s going on.

• Like 1

Knox County had another jump today. 36 new positive tests and Hospitalizations went from 12 Yesterday to 18 to This morning. Available ICU beds remains at 39.

Edited by Moped
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Moped said:

Knox County had another jump today. 36 new positive tests and Hospitalizations went from 12 Yesterday to 18 to This morning. Available ICU beds remains at 39.

Knox’s numbers have been out of control the past couple of weeks.  We were great a month or two ago.

I’ll not comment on why.

• Like 1
On 6/26/2020 at 7:54 PM, Garufa said:

I’ll go as far to say that we are all being played.  It’s the greatest social control experiment the world has ever seen.

I don't get the propensity many have towards conspiracy. Who exactly are the puppet masters here? It would be easier to believe if this was only happening in the USA but the entire world is fighting COVID in some capacity. 

As for why it's spreading in Knoxville.. Social distancing is a thing of the past. Every age, race and sex seems to have stopped caring. I'm seeing maybe 10-15% of people wearing masks. 

• Like 1