SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

Shelby County is booming. Today its up 169 new cases from yesterday. 192 dead so far. They've been adding 100+ new cases every day for almost two weeks now. Saw on the news tonight that some medical feds are in town monitoring the situation.

I'm gettin' scared to go out. Plus a holiday weekend. Its not looking very good. 

28 minutes ago, bud said:

The TN total deaths for ages 0-20 went down from 5 total deaths as of 6/26/20 , to 3 total deaths as of 7/2/20.

The TN total deaths for 31-40 went down from 12 total deaths as of 6/26/20, to 11 total deaths as of 7/2/20.

People are either rising from the dead, or the TN Dept of Health is re-evaluating causes of death in some cases.

After 4 months of non-stop covid covid covid, there are still under 600 Tennessee persons dead with covid-19 out of our population of 6.8 million persons.

1 in 12,000 Tennesseans has died from Covid-19.

Some significant percentage of those deceased were dying as a result of their next illness anyway.

Mayor Cooper, forever may he reign, just dictated this weeks new laws for Davidson County to include bars closed for 2 weeks and a return to 50% max occupancy for many businesses.

To remove all excuses for the Subjects being unaware of our constantly changing laws pertaining to our dress, and behavior, and physical movements, the electronic message boards over the interstates will now endlessly scroll all the new mandates that Dear Leaders can come up with.

2023573941_TDH-2019-Novel-Coronavirus-Epi-and-Surveillance(1).pdf 283.8 kB · 1 download TDH-2019-Novel-Coronavirus-Epi-and-Surveillance (1) (2) (1).pdf 283.94 kB · 1 download

Interesting data, I'm glad to see some demographic info. Funny that the news never reports any of this. 

84% of those who've died were over 60, 65% were over 70. Only 6% of postitive cases have been hospitalized. Id be curious about the duration of the hospital stays compared to the outcome. 

Edited by peejman
5 hours ago, peejman said:

Interesting data, I'm glad to see some demographic info. Funny that the news never reports any of this. 

84% of those who've died were over 60, 65% were over 70. Only 6% of postitive cases have been hospitalized. Id be curious about the duration of the hospital stays compared to the outcome. 

4 hours ago, bud said:

47,000 confirmed(ish) cases state wide in a state of 6.8 million. 

The thing that strikes me is that actual current and past positive cases are likely MUCH higher than the 47,000 number that is being reported, because of the large percentage of people who've had Coronavirus without any symptoms, or have attributed symptoms to a cold or allergies.

Therefore the % chance of death to Tennesseans from Covid-19 is likely half that of what is being reported. 

I see those stats as a relative measure of success due to Tennessee's overall response thus far. Even so, at current practices, IHME is predicting about 2.5x increase in deaths through Sept. At which point we might well see the second game of the double header begin.

4 hours ago, bud said:

If the masks also protect against shark attacks and lightning, then they may be worth wearing.

Wry, but fatuous. The masks to some extent protect the wearer of course (would you rather be misted with or without one?),  but their prime effectiveness is as a prophylactic, to protect others, particularly by limiting the transmission from the asymptomatically infected. 

But altruism is not among our strongest virtues as a species.

- OS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New cases in Knox County today was only 50 today. That's a significant decrease from yesterday's 70. Hospitalizations were down to 15.  But we only have 30 ICU beds open.  No new deaths.

My wife and I were out and about all afternoon, both in Maryville and Knoxville and more people had them on than did not.  I was at Kroger in Ftn Cty a short time ago and only saw 13 people not wearing a mask out of an estimated 200 or so people in the store.  They ran the gamete from two young men together to an older couple  and a single older woman.  But everyone else was wearing a mask.  Actually saw some disapproving looks at those not wearing masks.

“Gov. Bill Lee granted authority Friday to mayors in 89 counties in Tennessee to issue their own face mask mandates as COVID-19 cases rise statewide. The move follows a record day-over-day increase after the state health department reported 1,822 new cases. 

Six counties with locally run health departments — Sullivan, Knox, Hamilton, Davidson, Madison and Shelby — already have authority to issue mask mandates as needed.”

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/politics/2020/07/03/tennessee-counties-given-ok-order-mandate-masks-governor-bill-lee/5373590002/

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Unfortunately, that obvious message will be lost on too many.

Yup lost on me, unless I have no other choice, as with "No Guns" signs, I will take my business elsewhere.

• Like 2

Since we’re about to bust the 80th page of this thread....

What’s with all the animosity against wearing a mask in public?  I hate it, but will abide for the time being.  Why start out just immediately dismissing the short-term practice as being some self-perceived violation of one’s person and liberty?

Save your indignation for when a vaccine is released...and it becomes mandatory.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

My animosity toward masks is because I’m not convinced they help, I have not yet found one that doesn’t hurt my ears, and I despise having anything on my face, whether it’s a mask or glasses, and I will constantly fiddle with and adjust it, thus more likely exposing my eyes, mouth, and nose to bad things.  And I’m not crazy about .gov telling me I have to do it.  Other than that, l’m all for them. 

Edited by deerslayer
29 minutes ago, Garufa said:

What’s with all the animosity against wearing a mask in public?  I hate it, but will abide for the time being.  Why start out just immediately dismissing the short-term practice as being some self-perceived violation of one’s person and liberty?

Save your indignation for when a vaccine is released...and it becomes mandatory.

That will need a whole new thread 🤬

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Because "muh rights" :shakes fist:

Because we live in a time where even a pandemic has become politicized. We can't come together to do anything even remotely kind and decent because everything is viewed through a partisan lens. If we wear a mask it means the libs have somehow won. Next we'll all have to turn in our guns and have Bill Gates microchip our assholes. Anything scientific is also suspicious and linked to the liberal overlords. We can't trust them either. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bud said:

Its the slippery slope, man, same as with gun control.

Why should I give up any of my decision making rights for something as wishy-washy as the "science" behind masks and eveything else Covid-19?

I mask up out of courtesy a time or 2 everyday, just not big on new rules and mandates.

It is a slippery slope.  What happens when the next virus comes around?  We’ve been subjected to a new one for years now, yet now it’s stop the world.

As far as gun control goes it’s a done deal.  It’s not ever going away or getting any better.

No one is asking you to give up your decision making rights as a human being, just have some consideration for others and those you might come in contact with.  

You can decide not to frequent a business that requires what The Man tells them to do.  Guess who wins.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
14 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Because "muh rights" :shakes fist:

Because we live in a time where even a pandemic has become politicized. We can't come together to do anything even remotely kind and decent because everything is viewed through a partisan lens. If we wear a mask it means the libs have somehow won. Next we'll all have to turn in our guns and have Bill Gates microchip our assholes. Anything scientific is also suspicious and linked to the liberal overlords. We can't trust them either. 

You knocked it out of the park my friend. 👍

• Like 3

I was in the roadside tomato store in Kentucky today. It was busy, but only had one person wearing a mask. Looks like everybody was about my age, but all female except me. Now there have only been 3 Covid deaths in this county of 65,000 people. I didn't really get that any of them were rebellious. More like you just couldn't fit any more smoke up their asses.

I left Nashville a couple of days ago. About half of the folks at Publix were wearing masks (I was one), even though Der Pooper ordered everybody in Davidson. There is rebellion there, 'cause Der Mayor needs his ass kicked for various reasons. 

Anyway, I'm away from it for awhile.