SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

Its my understanding that Covid-19 is much like many other diseases. Severity can differ from person to person. Some are totally asymptomatic. Some only get slightly sick. Some get moderately sick, but don't require hospitalization Then there are some that do require hospitalization and then those who die. However, they all have the virus and can pass it to others. Some groups are known to be at higher risk, but nothing is written in stone. The problem is that there's no way of really knowing which category you may fall into unless you actually get it.  

If I'm wrong please say so. I'm no doctor. Like I said this is my understanding of the situation based on what I've heard on the news. 

So now it has been discovered that numerous Florida labs are reporting less than accurate results.  Orlando has reported a 98% positive test rate, but is actually at 9.7%.  Supposedly, some TN counties have been sending their tests to FL labs.  But those of us who are skeptical about recent reports are probably just tinfoil conspiracy theorists...

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-exclusive-labs-directed-to-only-report-positive-covid-19-tests

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-lab-results-20200715-r535ae72zjdwfekudu3poiy34e-story.html

• Like 1

I'm sure there are widespread testing inaccuracies...this is after all something the labs aren't used to dealing with.  The science is also still very much being developed as we go along, because again, this isn't something we're used to dealing with.  The flu has been around and studied so long, it's got a level of predictability to it from diagnostic to the immediate and long term impacts.  With COVID-19, we're learning as we go, so it's going to be chaotic.

The tinfoil crowds on all sides are having a field day with this one, but I'm just hoping to not get sick because I have a feeling it would suck. 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

So now it has been discovered that numerous Florida labs are reporting less than accurate results.  Orlando has reported a 98% positive test rate, but is actually at 9.7%.  Supposedly, some TN counties have been sending their tests to FL labs.  But those of us who are skeptical about recent reports are probably just tinfoil conspiracy theorists...

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-exclusive-labs-directed-to-only-report-positive-covid-19-tests

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-lab-results-20200715-r535ae72zjdwfekudu3poiy34e-story.html

Those stories say 300 labs were told to only report positive cases, the state didn’t need the negative results. Common sense would tell us that information can’t be used for information on the percentages. The governor blames the labs. 300 labs misunderstood the message from the state? That doesn’t make sense.

Tennessee doesn’t have the ability to process our own tests here and send them to labs in Florida?

Y'all probably get tired of hearing the statistics for Knox County, but I'm gonna give it to you anyway! :D I think it gives us a good snapshot for a midsized city. I'd like to see what over metropolitan areas across the state look like, too.

91 new cases were reported yesterday, with hospitalizations increasing to 47.  Along with 3 more deaths.  The toll stands at 17. Looking at the age groups, 2 where from 18 to 44, 5 from 45 to 64, and 10 from the 75+ group. 6 were female and the rest male. 7 were black, 6 were white, 4 were unknown and 2 were Hispanic. The black community has been hit hard.  A bit of interpolation here, but 30 where hospitalize and 7 died.  Whites, on the other hand, had 96 hopsitalized, with 6 deaths.  I'm assuming those that died all went to the hospital.

8 minutes ago, Moped said:

Y'all probably get tired of hearing the statistics for Knox County, but I'm gonna give it to you anyway! :D I think it gives us a good snapshot for a midsized city. I'd like to see what over metropolitan areas across the state look like, too.

91 new cases were reported yesterday, with hospitalizations increasing to 47.  Along with 3 more deaths.  The toll stands at 17. Looking at the age groups, 2 where from 18 to 44, 5 from 45 to 64, and 10 from the 75+ group. 6 were female and the rest male. 7 were black, 6 were white, 4 were unknown and 2 were Hispanic. The black community has been hit hard.  A bit of interpolation here, but 30 where hospitalize and 7 died.  Whites, on the other hand, had 96 hopsitalized, with 6 deaths.  I'm assuming those that died all went to the hospital.

I'd like to see some stats on what percentage of the ICU beds are being used for COVID patients. I can't remember where I read it, but someone chimed in saying that even during normal times it's not unusual for a high percentage of our Knoxville ICU beds to be full. 

@Jamie Jackson might know if this is true or not. 

12 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'd like to see some stats on what percentage of the ICU beds are being used for COVID patients. I can't remember where I read it, but someone chimed in saying that even during normal times it's not unusual for a high percentage of our Knoxville ICU beds to be full. 

@Jamie Jackson might know if this is true or not. 

Well, I figured out earlier in the week, that they only update the stats for the total ICU beds and ventilators on Wednesdays,  We are doing great on ventilators, but our bed capacity is running at 91+% with 24 ICU Beds open. To me, that seems scary.

Of those ICU beds being filled right now, 51 are COVID-19 Patients and 26 COVID-19 patients are on ventilators. These last stats are updated daily, so those numbers are what was put out this morning.

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Testing inaccuracies and reporting inaccuracies are two different things.  

DeSantis has played games off and on with reporting since their first death down there.

Public info lawsuits have been filed to try and pry out stats from FL nursing homes, which for some reason he's held particularly close to the vest from the gitgo. I guess because most old folks vote.

He's just trying to be a good Trumpie.

So are several others, like Kemp in GA, who just nixed the power of individual towns/counties to enact mask wear directives and such.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
3 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

DeSantis has played games off and on with reporting since their first death down there.

Public info lawsuits have been filed to try and pry out stats from FL nursing homes, which for some reason he's held particularly close to the vest from the gitgo. I guess because most old folks vote.

He's just trying to be a good Trumpie.

So are several others, like Kemp in GA, who just nixed the power of individual towns/counties to enact mask wear directives and such.

- OS

I think Kemp's move was a huge mistake.  I really kinda like what we are doing here.  Give the Mayors and the Health Departments the best data daily and let them make the decision. If the State see it going sideways they can always step in an impose a mask requirement for a particalar county, area or the whole state.

But damn, I sure wouldn't box anyone in.  

• Like 1

Silly me, here I thought the question of reopening schools was a health concern regarding the children.........:whistle:

The second-largest teachers union in the U.S. called to defund the police and place a moratorium on charter schools in a “research paper” recommending that Los Angeles city schools stay closed at the beginning of the fall semester.

United Teachers Los Angeles released its study on school reopenings on July 9, recommending that schools only open once a set of safety precautions and funding conditions are met. On Monday, the Los Angeles and San Diego school districts announced they would not reopen for the near future.

“We must shift the astronomical amount of money devoted to policing, to education and other essential needs such as housing and public health,” the study reads. The study also supported a moratorium on charter schools, saying they “drain resources from district schools” and received “federal small business bailout loans even though state funding did not decline this school year.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/l-a-teachers-union-calls-to-defund-police-cap-charter-schools-as-part-of-covid-reopening-plan/

20 hours ago, Moped said:

I think Kemp's move was a huge mistake. 

Especially when you think about how completely opposite life is in depending on where you live in Georgia.  Atlanta is pretty much a world unto itself, and some of their smaller cities are still so drastically different than the rural areas, that you really can't put a statewide block on anything if you're trying to be prudent.

• Like 1
On 7/15/2020 at 11:06 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Its my understanding that Covid-19 is much like many other diseases. Severity can differ from person to person. Some are totally asymptomatic. Some only get slightly sick. Some get moderately sick, but don't require hospitalization Then there are some that do require hospitalization and then those who die. However, they all have the virus and can pass it to others. Some groups are known to be at higher risk, but nothing is written in stone. The problem is that there's no way of really knowing which category you may fall into unless you actually get it.  

If I'm wrong please say so. I'm no doctor. Like I said this is my understanding of the situation based on what I've heard on the news. 

Your understanding mirrors mine. Where I think we differ is what we think the actual percentage of folks is who fall into each category. You seem to feel it is a much larger threat than I do. You can’t go by published numbers, however, because of all the political spin that comes with them. I never dreamed I would live in a time where truth was in such short supply.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and go red it we are both wrong.

Edited by gregintenn
56 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Especially when you think about how completely opposite life is in depending on where you live in Georgia.  Atlanta is pretty much a world unto itself, and some of their smaller cities are still so drastically different than the rural areas, that you really can't put a statewide block on anything if you're trying to be prudent.

This is why I like Gov. Lee’s approach. Every county and city is different. The local leaders know their areas better than the State does. And if they aren’t getting the job done, the State can still step in and do what’s necessary. 

Today, Knox County added 147 new cases, with no deaths and 44 people in the hospital. Biggest one day jump in Knox County.

TN average daily deaths (updated 2PM daily):

March (over last 11 days of month starting 3/21 with first death) 2.0
April 5.8
May 5.3
June 8.0
July  (thru 17th) 12.4

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
added update time
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

TN average daily deaths (updated 2PM daily):

March (over last 11 days of month starting 3/21 with first death) 2.0
April 5.8
May 5.3
June 8.0
July  (thru 17th) 12.4

- OS

I'm so happy to see your ocd in action. The dude abides, eh? 😊

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Aren't the swarms of nascafarians upon you this weekend @Raoul ?

Last wednesday. I started to go out but my wife suggested it wasn't a good idea to take an ar and 12 mags to Kroger......

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Last wednesday. I started to go out but my wife suggested it wasn't a good idea to take an ar and 12 mags to Kroger......

I agree with your wife. You need at least 15 mags. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
45 minutes ago, Raoul said:

I'm so happy to see your ocd in action. The dude abides, eh? 😊

I watched The Big Lebowski a couple of years ago for the first time. I’ve been kicking myself ever since that I didn’t see it when it first came out. It is an American classic! 

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I watched The Big Lebowski a couple of years ago for the first time. I’ve been kicking myself ever since that I didn’t see it when it first came out. It is an American classic! 

Yeah I have a little bit of a compelshion for that one...lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, bud said:

How many deaths are there normally in the month of July in each age group?

And, Im curious how many of those who died per month died "with Covid" , not "because of Covid"?

Cant make heads or tales of the numbers because, massive  heart attack with covid = covid death. Car wreck with covid = covid death. Last days in hospice with alhzheimers but covid present =death by covid.

It will be hard to ever get any honest numbers when the number reporters can count and invoice as much covid as they can find.

Here https://www.tn.gov/governor/covid-19.html

I assume you trust your governor?