SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

21 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I watched The Big Lebowski a couple of years ago for the first time. I’ve been kicking myself ever since that I didn’t see it when it first came out. It is an American classic! 

Where have you been the whole time, lol.

Not naming any names but there are a few laid back folks around here that may or may not be on The Dude level.  I wouldn’t mess with them though, they have history, blades, firearms, and are old enough to be done with the bull####. :lol:

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Raoul said:

Last wednesday. I started to go out but my wife suggested it wasn't a good idea to take an ar and 12 mags to Kroger......

Is it still considered open carry if you mount the AR to the buggy ? 🤔

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, bud said:

How many deaths are there normally in the month of July in each age group?

And, Im curious how many of those who died per month died "with Covid" , not "because of Covid"?

Cant make heads or tales of the numbers because, massive  heart attack with covid = covid death. Car wreck with covid = covid death. Last days in hospice with alhzheimers but covid present =death by covid.

It will be hard to ever get any honest numbers when the number reporters can count and invoice as much covid as they can find.

As far as the first question, I'd have to do some actuarial digging, which I'm not inclined to do right now, so why don't you?

The rest, can't debate the unknowables bro. Just using the TN Dept of Health daily stats and dividing by days; I periodically keep annotating that one stat that as deaths/day doesn't seem to be something they publish.

2 hours ago, Raoul said:

I'm so happy to see your ocd in action. The dude abides, eh? 😊

Since I already evolved into semi-monkhood in my geezery, prolly abiding better than the average, as has changed my life much less than most I'd posit.

Since many of the excuses for walks have vanished (I need a mission to prompt me to do it), started spending time wetting a line on the river, have turned into quite the consummate CarpMeister these days.

MeAndCarp.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
syntax
  • Like 11
13 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

As far as the first question, I'd have to do some actuarial digging, which I'm not inclined to do right now, so why don't you?

The rest, can't debate the unknowables bro. Just using the TN Dept of Health daily stats and dividing by days; I periodically keep annotating that one stat that as deaths/day doesn't seem to be something they publish.

Since I already evolved into semi-monkhood in my geezery, prolly abiding better than the average, as has changed my life much less than most I'd posit.

Since many of the excuses for walks have vanished (I need a mission to prompt me to do it), started spending time wetting a line on the river, have turned into quite the consummate CarpMeister these days.

MeAndCarp.jpg

- OS

Nice minnow. What are you fishing for? 🤣

7 minutes ago, bubbadavis said:

Nice minnow. What are you fishing for? 🤣

Anymore, really just bottom fishing, which means 99.2% carp in the stretches of river I can reach on foot.

I started in late April at tail end of the spring stripe run, but after that, beat the water to death for bass, crappie, even a mess of bream, pretty much nada. So just settled into bottom fishing, which except for a couple of decent cats has been all El Carpo. Not even drum, which I kinda expected to in the mix.

But it's cool with me, sit on the river bank, listen to stories on my Sansa (currently Saki and O Henry), catch a few big uns - 5-15 pounders of any species is still pretty groovy.

- OS

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Anymore, really just bottom fishing, which means 99.2% carp in the stretches of river I can reach on foot.

I started in late April at tail end of the spring stripe run, but after that, beat the water to death for bass, crappie, even a mess of bream, pretty much nada. So just settled into bottom fishing, which except for a couple of decent cats has been all El Carpo. Not even drum, which I kinda expected to in the mix.

But it's cool with me, sit on the river bank, listen to stories on my Sansa (currently Saki and O Henry), catch a few big uns - 5-15 pounders of any species is still pretty groovy.

- OS

I grew up on Lake Cumberland. Striper are what everyone goes after up there. 

I never could catch anything. But just sitting on the bank with a line in the water was always relaxing. 

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

You need a kayak. I’m not quite as ancient, but I have a blast with mine. It just happens to be an Angler kayak too.🙂

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I watched The Big Lebowski a couple of years ago for the first time. I’ve been kicking myself ever since that I didn’t see it when it first came out. It is an American classic! 

I while back before the craziness hit, I happened to be in Wal-Mart and there in the $5 movie bin was The Big Lebowski on DVD! Darn near broke my arm grabbing for it. :D

BTW: Did y'all know that Dudeism is it own religion? DUDEISM

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moped said:

You need a kayak. I’m not quite as ancient, but I have a blast with mine. It just happens to be an Angler kayak too.🙂

Well, I'm often walking 4.5-7 miles round trip (half the benefit of doing it at all), so lugging even a light kayak is a bit out of the question. :)

But I agree, a kayak is a great way to do it without all the fuss of boat/trailer, and if fishing should turn back into a main passion I would consider that.

- OS

• Like 1
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Well, I'm often walking 4.5-7 miles round trip (half the benefit of doing it at all), so lugging even a light kayak is a bit out of the question. :)

But I agree, a kayak is a great way to do it without all the fuss of boat/trailer, and if fishing should turn back into a main passion I would consider that.

- OS

No coffee yet. I read that without the decimal and thought “45-47 miles? Dude, that’s not fishing that’s hiking with a small break in the middle”. 

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

MeAndCarp.jpg

- OS

Nice bugle mouth bass!

I caught one about that size once on a crappie pole. Was quite interesting.

1 hour ago, Moped said:

Nice to put a face to a name. Nice fish too, even if it is a carp.

10/11 lbs I reckon. Biggest so far around 15. Heck, I don't think I've caught one at all under maybe 4 lbs. Only reason I got the pic was young lass happing to pass by took it with her iPhone and emailed it to me.

Was thinking about that the other day, and honestly, I've never actually caught or or even seen a "baby" carp, or even one in the 1-2 lb range, kinda strange that.

About a month ago, was fishing from the floating TN Navy docks and heard much ado down the way from the UT rowing club access, saw a boat pull in there and whatnot. Later on I went by there and sure enough a guy had caught a huge carp, had flagged a boat down to help as no way to lift it out of the water (about a 5' drop from the fishing platform), said the guys in boat had a 50lb scale and it pegged it out, etc. His gal had some good pix of her holding it, and sure enough it looked like a damn grouper or something, half the size of her!  I think it was likely a Big Head carp but not positive.

TN record for common carp is only 53 lb, but 90 for the Big Head (which is world record also). If it was actually a common, they may well have thrown back a state record!

(apologies for the thread derail, should have been in fishing section I reckon)

- OS

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

10/11 lbs I reckon. Biggest so far around 15. Heck, I don't think I've caught one at all under maybe 4 lbs. Only reason I got the pic was young lass happing to pass by took it with her iPhone and emailed it to me.

Was thinking about that the other day, and honestly, I've never actually caught or or even seen a "baby" carp, or even one in the 1-2 lb range, kinda strange that.

About a month ago, was fishing from the floating TN Navy docks and heard much ado down the way from the UT rowing club access, saw a boat pull in there and whatnot. Later on I went by there and sure enough a guy had caught a huge carp, had flagged a boat down to help as no way to lift it out of the water (about a 5' drop from the fishing platform), said the guys in boat had a 50lb scale and it pegged it out, etc. His gal had some good pix of her holding it, and sure enough it looked like a damn grouper or something, half the size of her!  I think it was likely a Big Head carp but not positive.

TN record for common carp is only 53 lb, but 90 for the Big Head (which is world record also). If it was actually a common, they may well have thrown back a state record!

(apologies for the thread derail, should have been in fishing section I reckon)

- OS

Heh, I was just gonna suggest you fish near the Calhoun's.  Monsters in there for sure. 

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Heh, I was just gonna suggest you fish near the Calhoun's.  Monsters in there for sure. 

There are some whoppers and lots of them around Calhoun’s deck.  Must be raised on that bbq that’s not fit for human consumption.

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Garufa said:

There are some whoppers and lots of them around Calhoun’s deck.  Must be raised on that bbq that’s not fit for human consumption.

Second that emotion. That's faux bbq at its finest 🤢

42 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Yeah, folks have been feeding them since the place opened. I think the management started doing it originally as sort of an attraction.

- OS

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Second that emotion. That's faux bbq at its finest 🤢

I think the ribs are decent enough, just overpriced of course.

I actually don't know of any great Knoxville BBQ anymore? Scruggs was my last go-to for 30 years or so, but closed about 5 years ago or more.

(apologies for continuing the thread derailment, I'll stop, fishing and BBQ should have their own threads :))

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
apology added :)
2 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

apologies for continuing the thread derailment, I'll stop, fishing and BBQ should have their own threads :))

Aw heck, don't worry about it. This thread has been around the world at least twice. What were we talking about anyway? :confused:

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Aw heck, don't worry about it. This thread has been around the world at least twice. What were we talking about anyway? :confused:

Well, 23 new Covid deaths, kicks up TN daily death rate to an even 13 for the month.

- OS

Just found this while looking for somethin else so thought I would post it!!

Deaths due to COVID-19 may be misclassified as pneumonia or influenza deaths in the absence of positive test results, and pneumonia or influenza may appear on death certificates as a comorbid condition.

Additionally, COVID-19 symptoms can be similar to influenza-like illness, thus deaths may be misclassified as influenza. Thus, increases in pneumonia and influenza deaths may be an indicator of excess COVID-19-related mortality.

3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Just found this while looking for somethin else so thought I would post it!!

Deaths due to COVID-19 may be misclassified as pneumonia or influenza deaths in the absence of positive test results, and pneumonia or influenza may appear on death certificates as a comorbid condition.

Additionally, COVID-19 symptoms can be similar to influenza-like illness, thus deaths may be misclassified as influenza. Thus, increases in pneumonia and influenza deaths may be an indicator of excess COVID-19-related mortality.

When experts say theres a lot that's unknown about the virus it's not a far stretch to believe theres gonna be a decent % of misdiagnosis, mislabeled deaths, etc.