SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

Well my DIL is going by what the CDC is saying to do and she wrote them and requested a book of their recommendations for her small school. She is planning on starting school after Labor Day and as long as she does not get any children test positive will continue. If any 1 of them tests positive she will require all children to go home and stay home for 5 days and then come back  for retesting and see if they can start school and the one testing positive stays home 14 days and his/her parents are required to be tested and cleared. She is not taking any chances with the children at all.

23 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well my DIL is going by what the CDC is saying to do and she wrote them and requested a book of their recommendations for her small school. She is planning on starting school after Labor Day and as long as she does not get any children test positive will continue. If any 1 of them tests positive she will require all children to go home and stay home for 5 days and then come back  for retesting and see if they can start school and the one testing positive stays home 14 days and his/her parents are required to be tested and cleared. She is not taking any chances with the children at all.

Are these test done at the school? Are they free? How long does it take to get results? Where is the lab?

Having gone through the test and being able to testify what an unpleasant experience it was, there's no way kids are going to come back for another test after having one. (If it's being done correctly)

Edited by xsubsailor
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Are these test done at the school? Are they free? How long does it take to get results? Where is the lab?

They take each students temperature before entering the school. If anyone has even a mild fever they send all students home and a person from Local health department comes to the homes of all the students including her children and test them and the tests are sent to Vanderbilt for test results which have so far not been needed since school has not started yet. That was the advice given in CDC manual. Yes the tests will be free and the test results will be free. It will work just like all the testing centers you would drive through. The school will be sanitized after school each day once school begins. All the parents have chipped in to purchase all the sanitizer needed plus there will be wall mounted hand sanitizing lotions so the kids can use them as necessary also donated by the parents. Believe me DIL is doing everything possible to protect the children once school begins.

8 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Having gone through the test and being able to testify what an unpleasant experience it was, there's no way kids are going to come back for another test after having one. (If it's being done correctly)

They don't use the same test swaps on children they use on adults and they have found that they can get the same test results using smaller swabs and according to Vanderbilt the smaller swaps are just as effective for getting tests results.

Only 108 new cases reported in Knox County this morning, but 4 more deaths. That brings the total to 31.  To add some perspective to that, we went from sometime in April til July 2 with only 5 deaths. Since July 2, we've had 26 deaths or almost a death a day in Knox County.  I believe today's count  of 4 is the highest one day total.

Age Breakdowns for Deaths are as follows.

0-17______ 0

18-44_____ 3

45-64_____ 8

65-74_____ 3

75+ ______ 17

You old geezers need to stay home and wear your damn masks! :D

https://covid.knoxcountytn.gov/case-count.html

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Having gone through the test and being able to testify what an unpleasant experience it was, there's no way kids are going to come back for another test after having one.

Something must have changed, I was tested two weeks ago and it wasn't unpleasant at all.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, hughd said:

Something must have changed, I was tested two weeks ago and it wasn't unpleasant at all.

I saw some testing being done with the smaller shorter swaps a week or so ago on the news at a few of the drive up centers.

2 hours ago, Moped said:

Only 108 new cases reported in Knox County this morning, but 4 more deaths. That brings the total to 31.  To add some perspective to that, we went from sometime in April til July 2 with only 5 deaths. Since July 2, we've had 26 deaths or almost a death a day in Knox County.  I believe today's count  of 4 is the highest one day total.

Age Breakdowns for Deaths are as follows.

0-17______ 0

18-44_____ 3

45-64_____ 8

65-74_____ 3

75+ ______ 17

You old geezers need to stay home and wear your damn masks! :D

https://covid.knoxcountytn.gov/case-count.html

Interesting to see cases go down a few weeks after the mask mandate. Obviously we can't prove the masks are helping but it certainly hasn't made things worse. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Interesting to see cases go down a few weeks after the mask mandate. Obviously we can't prove the masks are helping but it certainly hasn't made things worse. 

The trend has been rising.  I suspect that this is an blimp and expect the cases to go back up tomorrow.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Moped said:

The trend has been rising.  I suspect that this is an blimp and expect the cases to go back up tomorrow.

Yeah I guess you're right. For some reason I was thinking you'd posted new cases had dropped recently. Looking at the data it seems to fluctuate.

• Like 2

Our schools are supposed to open Aug 17. Honestly, I'm worried about my daughter-in-law. She works at one of the middle schools as a Special Ed administrator. Although she's not often in contact with the children, she does work with teachers every day. 

They're come up with an interesting system which was voted on and selected by the parents. Half the kids will go to school on Monday and Tuesday, the other half will attend on Wednesday and Thursday. Only staff will be there on Friday. They are taking every precaution, but I still worry. 

She and my son just got married back in May. I like her and certainly would hate to see her get sick. 

27 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Our schools are supposed to open Aug 17. Honestly, I'm worried about my daughter-in-law. She works at one of the middle schools as a Special Ed administrator. Although she's not often in contact with the children, she does work with teachers every day. 

They're come up with an interesting system which was voted on and selected by the parents. Half the kids will go to school on Monday and Tuesday, the other half will attend on Wednesday and Thursday. Only staff will be there on Friday. They are taking every precaution, but I still worry. 

She and my son just got married back in May. I like her and certainly would hate to see her get sick. 

Which school?  Bon Lin Middle looks like it will be M-F.  

47 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Which school?  Bon Lin Middle looks like it will be M-F.  

Yep, Bon Lin Middle. The school is open M-F. But the students will be in split shifts. I don't know all the details, but this is what the parents voted for. I just go by what my son told me. :shrug:

12 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Local schools here opened with a similar schedule. They made it 3 days before shutting back down. 

11 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Yep, Bon Lin Middle. The school is open M-F. But the students will be in split shifts. I don't know all the details, but this is what the parents voted for. I just go by what my son told me. :shrug:

News to me.  My daughter will go to Bon Lin Middle and the plan looks like five days/week.  I think the high school is talking about 2-3 days/week.  But plans can change fast.  

6 minutes ago, Moped said:

Knox county Health Department is reporting 120 new cases this morning, with two more deaths.  That bring the deaths to 33, since this all started and 28 to end the month of July.

So 28 in one month?  Seems they worked out the china virus math.

• Administrator

Well, it finally happened and hit somewhat close to home for me.    A colleague at work came down with COVID about a week and a half ago and succumbed to it last night via related complications.  Their family was having to make the awful decision today to remove them from life support.

I sucks that this virus seems so laughable until it strikes someone in the .0001% for which it is fatal.   I suppose the exact same thing can be said of the flu, but I can't tell you the last time I heard of a person who was walking around healthy one week and dead the next because of the flu.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Well, it finally happened and hit somewhat close to home for me.    A colleague at work came down with COVID about a week and a half ago and succumbed to it night via related complications.  Their family was having to make the awful decision today to remove them from life support.

I sucks that this virus seems so laughable until it strikes someone in the .0001% for which it is fatal.   I suppose the exact same thing can be said of the flu, but I can't tell you the last time I heard of a person who was walking around healthy one week and dead the next because of the flu.

Sorry to hear that, a bad day for sure. 

We've had 9 positive so far at work, with 2 sets of father/sons. Symptoms have covered the spectrum with one guy was on a ventilator for a few days.  I've heard he's getting better. 

That is close David, keep your chin up and all.

We had a young man get it from another office, he snapped out of it in 4 days. We have another man down with it now, in the hospital for a week now, have not heard any word yet.

• Like 1