SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

16 hours ago, Mark A said:

For full disclosure, I am a non-practicing Doctor of Chiropractic.

I had a nephrologist give me prescription D3 when I went to him for alleged stage 3 kidney failure. After taking it for over 3 months with no change in my kidney function, I finally asked him what the D3 was for. He responded that it was the "Feel good" vitamin, and that his patients loved it. It didn't make me feel good nor help my kidneys.

So no offense but I'll trust the Mayo Clinic & the National Institute of Health.

NIH: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-Consumer/

Mayo Clinic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-vitamin-d/art-20363792 

Many older adults don't get regular exposure to sunlight and have trouble absorbing vitamin D, so taking a multivitamin with vitamin D will likely help improve bone health. The recommended daily amount of vitamin D is 400 international units (IU) for children up to age 12 months, 600 IU for ages 1 to 70 years, and 800 IU for people over 70 years.

Evidence

Research on vitamin D use for specific conditions shows:

• Cancer. Research suggests that vitamin D, especially when taken with calcium, might help prevent certain cancers.
  • Cognitive health. Early research suggests that vitamin D might play a role in cognitive health. In one small study of adults age 60 years and older being treated for dementia, researchers found that taking a vitamin D supplement helped improve cognitive function.
  • Inherited disorders. Vitamin D supplements can be used to help treat inherited disorders resulting from an inability to absorb or process vitamin D, such as familial hypophosphatemia.
  • Multiple sclerosis. Research suggests that long-term vitamin D supplementation reduces the risk of multiple sclerosis.
  • Osteomalacia. Vitamin D supplements are used to treat adults with severe vitamin D deficiency, resulting in loss of bone mineral content, bone pain, muscle weakness and soft bones (osteomalacia).
  • Osteoporosis. Studies suggest that people who get enough vitamin D and calcium in their diets can slow bone mineral loss, help prevent osteoporosis and reduce bone fractures.
  • Psoriasis. Applying vitamin D or a topical preparation that contains a vitamin D compound called calcipotriene to the skin can treat plaque-type psoriasis in some people.
  • Rickets. This rare condition develops in children with vitamin D deficiency. Supplementing with vitamin D can prevent and treat the problem.
Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1

Started taking Vitamin D several months ago on the advice of a dermatologist. Haven't seen any real results for the condition I was initially asking about, but on the other hand...600I.U. daily isn't going to hurt. Especially when medical evidence seems to point to all these benefits.

15 minutes ago, hipower said:

Started taking Vitamin D several months ago on the advice of a dermatologist. Haven't seen any real results for the condition I was initially asking about, but on the other hand...600I.U. daily isn't going to hurt. Especially when medical evidence seems to point to all these benefits.

4,000 IU is considered the maximum daily dose because Vitamin D, (which isn't really a true vitamin because the body makes it), is fat soluble, and can store-up over time to harmful levels in the body. I take 2,000 daily because it might help the immune system against COVID, and it's a safe level. 

• Like 2

I survived the virus! Tested positive 2 weeks going after hanging out with family members from out of town.  70% of us all got the virus as a result and nobody was symptomatic at the time of transmission.  Two of the 3 that didn't get the virus had the virus earlier this year before it was popular....so, my thoughts...yes, this is super highly transferable.  More so than the flu.  Secondly, for the two that didn't get it, its more anecdotal evidence that once you have this, you do build up some immunities to it (antibodies and/or T-Cells).  Thirdly, kids get it but they don't even skip a beat.  Mild fever, maybe a cough but they had no idea they were sick, certainly didn't act like it in the least!!  Overall, it was like a mild flu and throw in lack of taste/smell as well.  Definitely not something we should shut the economy down again for.  I've not had any symptoms for 5 days now and I'm glad this is all behind us for now.  No more panicking about 'what if we get this?!' Its a very freeing feeling.  My dad also got this, and he's a cancer patient having recently gotten off chemo....so we had some risk factors and managed just fine.  I realize some arent so lucky but in our case, it was no big deal at all.  In fact, most of the colds I've had in my life have been far worse.  Take Vitamin C, Zinc, get some sun (D), and Magnesium.  Would masks have helped reduce transmission and/or contraction of the virus?  Maybe.  I'll never know though.  Lastly, all our doctors said take Tylenol if you need to and if you get bad go to the hospital....gee thanks doctors.  So, if you do get this, find a doctor who doesn't subscribe to the mainstream treatment of do nothing but go to the hospital if you get bad.  There are certainly medications out there that can help this out but are being silenced.  Good luck guys! :) 

Edit:  seeing Ronalds post below makes me feel I should clarify that I'm not advising anyone to take this lightly.  One of my really good friends if a Pulmonary Critical Care doctor literally treating the worst of these patients right now and we speak frequently.  So I'm aware of how serious it can be...just as the flu kills many people every year but we are used to the flu, and there are medications/vaccines that help so we all just don't care like we do with this new stuff going around.  You'd be hard pressed to find someone more paranoid that I was with this since I was following this back in October/November when it broke out in China.  I'm simply sharing my experience with it.  

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

My Dad let me know that one of my Mom's cousins passed today from it. Like playing Russian roulette if you aren't protecting yourself. I am too adverse to risk to take it lightly. 

Sorry for your loss. And I understand your thoughts on the risk aspect of all this. So I won't make lite of them. I am as much neck deep in the "risk" group as you will find short of nursing homes. And even though I am pretty cynical as to this whole Covid episode, I don't recommend anyone do anything or take chances on something as much an unknown quantity as this is. 

As I've said before, our lives, mine and my wife's, really haven't changed much since this began. We weren't big on dining out, and I've always done the shopping and cooking since my medical retirement in 2010.

I've gone where I wanted/needed as necessary. Shopped till I dropped from fat man's fatigue, that is.  I've walked the street in our immediate neighborhood. Talked with neighbors and the large amount of walkers that are taking advantage of the much lower street traffic. In the last 4/5 months, only a few have refused to speak or stop.

I don't invade the "social distance" and I don't hug nor shake hands. We don't get close to the children around us, and we wear masks where mandated. Otherwise, I would not wear them. They are hot, sticky, and stifiling. After a few minutes, I feel like I'm breathing thru a wet rag.

But as long as I'm around someone who fears not wearing them, or where forced to; I'll continue to do so. And when asked, I will calmly explain my thoughts on the matter.

So...Ronald...do as you feel best for you and yours. That's about all any of us can do at the moment.

At least until Mayor John Cooper allows us another 30 minutes downtown to meet and knock back a few.

23 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've been taking 5000 IU of vitamin D along with a muti-vitamin daily as part of my routine meds for several years now. I really can't remember which doctor started me on the stuff or why. I can't say if it helps, but I certainly hope so. 

Got to thinking about my own vitamin regime. I remember my oncologist telling me to do a daily Multi, a B complex, and D along with a Magnesium to combat fluid and mineral loss during my treatments. Now planning to add Zinc to it as well.

I've been lax over the years in following that routine, but re-started a few months ago. As Grayfox54 suggests, it may not be a cure-all but it certainly can't do us any harm. At least I don't think so.

This is one of the things I'm goin to discuss with my GP this week. Time for the regular checkup again. Seems like it's a fast moving cycle that never ends these days.

Always something else going out of kilter. lol

Best I'm aware, the 10 people I work with who tested positive have all recovered. One guy (late 50's) was in the hospital for about a week, but im told by his son (who also had it) that was due to his being stubborn and not seeking treatment before it got really bad. Most reported typical flu symptoms, a few with loss of smell and/or taste, and were out of work for about a week. 

• Administrator

I will wait until a reliable antibody test is available, but I have reason to believe that I had my encounter with COVID-19 this past week.  On Tuesday I had an outpatient surgical procedure done at a doctor's office.  They were taking good precautions to screen people with thermometers, enforce masking, etc. but on Friday I began to suffer some pretty unusual symptoms and isolated myself from the rest of my family.  I suspect that if I was exposed, it happened at that office since I have been working from home 100% of the time since March of this year and we go very few other places.

My symptoms:

• Dry cough for the first day
  • Overnight fever that sent me into chills that I couldn't make subside
  • Chills and muscle aches for the next 24 hours
  • A sensation of heaviness on my chest, albeit no real difficulty breathing
  • Joints aching, eyes watering and burning
  • Incredibly thirsty
  • Loss of appetite

All of this finally abated last night and today I just felt rather puny until lunchtime.  Now I feel infinitely better, but not quite 100%.  I will say that all throughout this pandemic I have been taking Vitamin D2, my normal multi-vitamin.  I had extra Vitamin C and Zinc on standby, and starting taking those two yesterday.

If this was indeed my brush with the virus, it was akin to having the flu but the symptoms were a little... unusual.  Also if it was COVID, I would attribute generally good health and a prior, long-running regimen of daily vitamins and supplements for minimizing both the duration and the symptoms.

My suspicion is that if I had been exposed previously, I shrugged it off without any difficulty but that my immune system was preoccupied with recovery from surgery this week and that may have left the door open for that sucker to sneak in.

• Like 2
  • Authorized Vendor

Glad you guys are feeling better and I'm so sorry for those that have lost friends and loved ones. I was supposed to go to the doc on Tuesday but after hearing for the umteenth time about someone probably getting it in a Doc's office I'm not going. I've spent all these months avoiding it so there is no sense pushing my luck. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
38 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

Glad you guys are feeling better and I'm so sorry for those that have lost friends and loved ones. I was supposed to go to the doc on Tuesday but after hearing for the umteenth time about someone probably getting it in a Doc's office I'm not going. I've spent all these months avoiding it so there is no sense pushing my luck. 

I think with an N95 mask and thoroughly washing your hands afterward, you wouldn't have much to worry about.   I was wearing a thin "gaiter" style face/neck covering and have gotten a little carefree when it comes to washing my hands with sanitizer or soap and water after being in public.  If I contracted it, it was entirely my fault for being lackadasical about common-sense protocols.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

If it is for something serious, or a checkup to check for something serious, I'd go.  Too many have put off getting regular checkups and coming down with something that could have either been prevented, or at least caught with time to do something about it.

28 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

I just read this entire thread from first page to here and it’s been like reading a history book. 

Roughly the same amount of misinformation as a modern history book as well.

Well, do tell what is misinformation, doctor.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Well, do tell what is misinformation, doctor.

Referring to all the times the “experts” flip flop on what we should do. Fauci: mask vs. no mask, entire households being counted as positive cases when only one has even been tested, probable cases being counted as confirmed, practically any death being reported as Covid being the cause of death even if it had nothing to do with it, etc.

Just normal government stuff.

*Not implying any members here are spreading misinformation on purpose, just what we have been told and are being told changes daily. And quite frankly, I don’t trust much of it.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

Referring to all the times the “experts” flip flop on what we should do. Fauci: mask vs. no mask, entire households being counted as positive cases when only one has even been tested, probable cases being counted as confirmed, practically any death being reported as Covid being the cause of death even if it had nothing to do with it, etc.

Just normal government stuff.

*Not implying any members here are spreading misinformation on purpose, just what we have been told and are being told changes daily. And quite frankly, I don’t trust much of it.

Oh, got'cha.