SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

11 hours ago, Links2k said:

I agree with you, but I also think that Biden will attempt to pass a relief bill that will help small businesses and the poor instead of corporations. That’s the right thing to do, but Moscow Mitch may stand in the way as usual.  

We can keep half assing our efforts against this virus and deal with it for years, or we can put on our big boy pants, bite the bullet and do what see working for various other countries around the world. Steven Mnuchin still won’t tell where a great deal of the last stimulus money went. I have my opinion, but I don’t care to spend my evening arguing. 

Trump supported a relief bill, although not on the scale that Biden would probably propose.  Either way, it doesn't make much sense at this point to lock down, re-wreck the economy some more, put people out of work and then give some of them limited relief with a massive bill only to simply delay what will come anyway.  

As for putting on our big boy pants like other countries, several European countries had more sever lockdowns that we did.  How's that working for them right now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I could have swore I read something yesterday saying sleepy and his bakers dozen COVID TASK FORCE were looking at a 6-8 week nationwide shutdown.

As I recall, Trump said he didn't have the authority to do that.  I think Biden will ask for it, but ultimately it will be up to the governors. He already said he would ask them to pass a mask mandate. He didn't say he would order it himself. Even if he tried, I'm sure he would immediately be met with lawsuits. 

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

As I recall, Trump said he didn't have the authority to do that.  I think Biden will ask for it, but ultimately it will be up to the governors. He already said he would ask them to pass a mask mandate. He didn't say he would order it himself. Even if he tried, I'm sure he would immediately be met with lawsuits. 

All we have heard in the last months is the mindless babble about how Covid, mask mandates, failure to shut down, and the economy was Trumps fault. On January 20th, Covid, and the economy belong to Biden. We will see how he handles it, but whatever he does; he owns it. Fair enough?

1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

All we have heard in the last months is the mindless babble about how Covid, mask mandates, failure to shut down, and the economy was Trumps fault. On January 20th, Covid, and the economy belong to Biden. We will see how he handles it, but whatever he does; he owns it. Fair enough?

You know the left won't swallow that.  If something bad happens while Trump is in office, it happened "on his watch."  If bad things happen during a Biden soon-to-be Harris administration, it will be because of the situation they were given by Trump.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

You know the left won't swallow that.  If something bad happens while Trump is in office, it happened "on his watch."  If bad things happen during a Biden soon-to-be Harris administration, it will be because of the situation they were given by Trump.

I know they won’t. But I can honestly say that when Trump was elected and my Trump friends were whining about what Obama did, my view was, Obama is irrelevant, he’s gone, its now up to Trump. Trump took the ball and ran with it. Our economy flourished, I saw % rates in my investments I had never seen, Businesses got taxes breaks that allowed buying equipment and adding jobs, unemployment went to lowest rates ever, and companies started moving back here. Then Covid hit and the left couldn’t do anything but blame that on Trump; so be it. Even though Trump has handed the blueprint to Biden; I doubt he is capable of doing anything with that information. If I’m not mistaken he said one of his first acts will be to repeal the tax cuts. We shall see what happens.

5 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I know they won’t. But I can honestly say that when Trump was elected and my Trump friends were whining about what Obama did, my view was, Obama is irrelevant, he’s gone, its now up to Trump. Trump took the ball and ran with it. Our economy flourished, I saw % rates in my investments I had never seen, Businesses got taxes breaks that allowed buying equipment and adding jobs, unemployment went to lowest rates ever, and companies started moving back here. Then Covid hit and the left couldn’t do anything but blame that on Trump; so be it. Even though Trump has handed the blueprint to Biden; I doubt he is capable of doing anything with that information. If I’m not mistaken he said one of his first acts will be to repeal the tax cuts. We shall see what happens.

Agreed.  Fortunately, the economy was doing well when Covid hit.  No one talks about how much worse it could have been had we not had a strong economy.  No one gives Trump that credit.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Agreed.  Fortunately, the economy was doing well when Covid hit.  No one talks about how much worse it could have been had we not had a strong economy.  No one gives Trump that credit.  

No one talks about the fact that Trump actually inherited a strong economy in 2017 either.  It certainly got better under his watch, but he wasn't starting from scratch. 

Capture+_2020-11-15-11-32-52.png

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
On 11/13/2020 at 2:16 PM, RED333 said:

On the 19th of October, my daughter, wife and myself came down with the virus. Son and his wife as well. We were tested and found to be positive for the virus. Now my wife and myself smoked since our teenage years, we are in our early 60s, however we quit little over eight years ago. We all lost sense of smell and taste, runny nose, slight fever, it did not go into our lungs. We all had bodyaches and pains just like the flu. Five of us are living proof the virus will not kill a person of reasonable health. I don’t exercise enough, I smoked a lot, and not in the best of health, but we survived, proof that it does not kill.

if you are sickly, have diabetes, bad lungs, heart disease, stay away from people.

One of my kids and his girlfriend had it a while back. They both agreed they'd had worse colds. THey thought it odd they couldn't smell or taste much for a while.

On 11/14/2020 at 9:10 PM, Links2k said:

I agree with you, but I also think that Biden will attempt to pass a relief bill that will help small businesses and the poor instead of corporations. That’s the right thing to do, but Moscow Mitch may stand in the way as usual.  

Why the hate for Corporations? They employ the average worker trying to maintain a family just the same as the small businesses do.

The top 10 large corporation in Tennessee employ over a million workers. Everyday hourly workers.

Coming from a manufacturing background I just don’t get this “destroy the rich” mentality. Do people not understand that those people and businesses create jobs?

As far as poor people go, when you shut off the income of almost anyone; they will be "poor". Nancy Pelosi and her Democrats refused to help them.

• Like 6

We don’t need to chart GDP. Ask anyone here what their 401K or IRA did during the Obama years vs. what it did during the Trump administration prior to Covid. Mine hit home runs the likes of which I have never seen. Was it Trump or was it Edward Jones? I don’t know; so I whole heartedly thanked them both.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

We don’t need to chart GDP. Ask anyone here what their 401K or IRA did during the Obama years vs. what it did during the Trump administration prior to Covid. Mine hit home runs the likes of which I have never seen. Was it Trump or was it Edward Jones? I don’t know; so I whole heartedly thanked them both.

I know I'm not tired of winning yet!

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Why the hate for Corporations? They employ the average worker trying to maintain a family just the same as the small businesses do.

The top 10 large corporation in Tennessee employ over a million workers. Everyday hourly workers.

Coming from a manufacturing background I just don’t get this “destroy the rich” mentality. Do people not understand that those people and businesses create jobs?

The difference between large publicly traded corporations and private companies is important.  Make no mistake, those corporations are only employing Tennesseans here locally because of favorable conditions.  They'll lay everyone off and pop smoke for any site a cost/benefit analysis can prove is more profitable overall.  When your real owners are financial institutions and hedge funds, the risk to locals who depend on that job source is much bigger than a small business, or even a large business with roots in a community that feels some sense of civic responsibility to their location.

I'm with you that not all corporations are inherently bad, and I fully agree the jobs they bring matter to someone providing for their family.   I just think it's honest to say there's a lot of that money that isn't staying in the community compared to a different structure. 

When any relief bill is providing funds to a company that can leverage ridiculously low debt costs and public share offerings to raise capital, that seems a waste to me compared to a local business getting that or more.  I see small and medium size locally owned businesses as still holding a lot of value, and understand keeping one open is as hard a thing to do as there in in any economy, let alone one as at risk as we have now.  So when we're talking economic relief for COVID, I want to keep as much of that money sent here (or returned if you prefer) from Washington in the community rather than to financial institution shareholders.  Wall Street will survive, I'm sure.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, btq96r said:

The difference between large publicly traded corporations and private companies is important.  Make no mistake, those corporations are only employing Tennesseans here locally because of favorable conditions.  They'll lay everyone off and pop smoke for any site a cost/benefit analysis can prove is more profitable overall.  When your real owners are financial institutions and hedge funds, the risk to locals who depend on that job source is much bigger than a small business, or even a large business with roots in a community that feels some sense of civic responsibility to their location.

I'm with you that not all corporations are inherently bad, and I fully agree the jobs they bring matter to someone providing for their family.   I just think it's honest to say there's a lot of that money that isn't staying in the community compared to a different structure. 

When any relief bill is providing funds to a company that can leverage ridiculously low debt costs and public share offerings to raise capital, that seems a waste to me compared to a local business getting that or more.  I see small and medium size locally owned businesses as still holding a lot of value, and understand keeping one open is as hard a thing to do as there in in any economy, let alone one as at risk as we have now.  So when we're talking economic relief for COVID, I want to keep as much of that money sent here (or returned if you prefer) from Washington in the community rather than to financial institution shareholders.  Wall Street will survive, I'm sure.

The relief bill has all kinds of IMO, wasted funds that the Dems want in it.  $15 minimum wage ; Mandatory union rep on Airline Boards, for any company accepting help and 35 mil for the Kennedy Center, etc etc, you can read the BS yourself.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/whats-in-democrats-coronavirus-bill-arts-funding-union-help-and-more

• Like 1

Tennessee is one of four states selected by Phizir to test distribution of their COVID-19 vaccine. Distribution could start as early as early December, if the vaccine is approved by the FDA.

So whose up for being the first one to take it? 

Also Knox County continues to see a spike in COVID cases. Today saw 373 new cases and 7 deaths. Hospitalizations are also up at 86.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2020/11/17/watch-gov-bill-lee-gives-covid-update-virus-surge-continues/

Edited by Moped
9 hours ago, Moped said:

So whose up for being the first one to take it? 

I probably take it, depending on what my Doctor and the medical professionals say about it. If there are problems with it, they may not arise for months, or even years. I’m not waiting that long.

My only concern would be that if I take the first vaccine, and a “better” vaccine becomes available, would I be able to take it.

I retired so I could travel and do things. I’m just sitting at home. So I’ll be a test dummy for you guys.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I am signed up for the vaccine trials.  My thought is that I’m healthy with no health conditions of note - so I figured It was a pretty minimal risk.

I’ve not been called - though severaL of my colleagues have. I’m able to isolate a bit more than some - so by all rights I should be the last one selected.

I’ll certainly take a vaccine when it’s available and my doctor recommends it.

Vaccines don’t save lives. Vaccinations do. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I know I'm not tired of winning yet!

Good, you don’t have to be. Joe is going to bring the economy back to where it was during the Trump years and more. Didn’t you hear him say that?? I think he said it right before he said he was going to remove all the tax cuts for businesses, as soon as he takes office. Slap them while they are down; that should help fix things.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Good, you don’t have to be. Joe is going to bring the economy back to where it was during the Trump years and more. Didn’t you hear him say that?? I think he said it right before he said he was going to remove all the tax cuts for businesses, as soon as he takes office. Slap them while they are down; that should help fix things.

My biggest hit will be if he lets Trump tax cuts expire, that is a direct hit to my income.  The businesses will pass on their taxes to us the consumer, but unless I really need something I can avoid spending my money, which in turn will make prices go up, do to consumers like me.  Doesn't it sound wonderful?

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

think he said it right before he said he was going to remove all the tax cuts for businesses, as soon as he takes office. Slap them while they are down; that should help fix things.

36 minutes ago, Omega said:

My biggest hit will be if he lets Trump tax cuts expire, that is a direct hit to my income.  The businesses will pass on their taxes to us the consumer, but unless I really need something I can avoid spending my money, which in turn will make prices go up, do to consumers like me.  Doesn't it sound wonderful?

The business tax cuts Trump signed are locked in and would require a congressional majority to change (not likely if McConnell holds the Senate Leadership).  The individual ones had a sunset provision as required, so it'll just be a negotiation on what rates stay as currently is, which ones go up, and of the latter, by how much.  Same story as it was when Obama and Boehner haggled over the expiring Bush tax cuts with I think $400k of taxable income being the limit for keeping the cut.