SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

I'd like to know what happened to the Flu? They still push the shots but, nobody gets it anymore. 🙄

Year before last I got a flu shot. 4_weeks later I had to drive myself to urgent care. The "flu" had its way with me. Had to go on steroids so I could breathe. Weird thing is my sense of smell and taste disappeared. I still can't smell or taste like I used to.

2 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I'd like to know what happened to the Flu? They still push the shots but, nobody gets it anymore. 🙄

Vaccine seems to be spot on this year (and more folks than usual may well have taken it),  most strains not as easily infectious as Covid, so isolation/distancing/masks likely have had a significant effect.

Here's one analysis:

https://www.livescience.com/flu-season-mild-covid-19-precautions.html

- OS

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Vaccine seems to be spot on this year (and more folks than usual may well have taken it),  most strains not as easily infectious as Covid, so isolation/distancing/masks likely have had a significant effect.

Here's one analysis:

https://www.livescience.com/flu-season-mild-covid-19-precautions.html

- OS

Good to hear since yearly flu shots are always a roll of the dice from the experts who try to predict what strain we’ll have this season.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Raoul said:

Year before last I got a flu shot. 4_weeks later I had to drive myself to urgent care. The "flu" had its way with me. Had to go on steroids so I could breathe. Weird thing is my sense of smell and taste disappeared. I still can't smell or taste like I used to.

There is evidence suggesting the Kung Flu has been in circulation in the US in 2019. Several people with similar stories. The sense of taste/smell issues are unique to this illness.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ReeferMac said:

There is evidence suggesting the Kung Flu has been in circulation in the US in 2019. Several people with similar stories. The sense of taste/smell issues are unique to this illness.

Loss of sense of smell and taste is common with a cold or the flu. Of course anyone experiencing that right now will assume COVID-19. Nothing wrong with that, the quicker they seek treatment, the better, no matter what the cause.

As far as COVID-19 being here in 2019, we have no way of knowing that, other than the number of cases that would have been reported by hospitals. I don’t think that happened or we would have heard about it by now.

China tried to circulate false information via social media to blame the United States. That didn’t work, so they have now switched to blaming India.

14 hours ago, Quavodus said:

It's still too early to reach a conclusion, but the flu has almost disappeared this year. The CDC's flu tracker shows 122,000 tests cumulatively so far for the 2020-2021 flu season with 319 positives (0,3%). For the same week in 2019 (week 46 of the year), there were 190,000 tests, 7,371 positives (3.9%). 

So we have 95% fewer flu cases so far this flu season!  

Edited to add: Here's the link to the CDC's database from last year and this year.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/pastreports.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2019-2020/Week47.htm

Edited by jgradyc
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Loss of sense of smell and taste is common with a cold or the flu. Of course anyone experiencing that right now will assume COVID-19. Nothing wrong with that, the quicker they seek treatment, the better, no matter what the cause.

As far as COVID-19 being here in 2019, we have no way of knowing that, other than the number of cases that would have been reported by hospitals. I don’t think that happened or we would have heard about it by now.

China tried to circulate false information via social media to blame the United States. That didn’t work, so they have now switched to blaming India.

No data from hospitals because they did not yet know about it and did not test for it.  I was real sick, twice,  June and Dec, last year both times tested for and found negative for flu, and other melodies.  Both times my regular cold/flu regimen did not work, and the cough lasted for weeks afterward.  Don't know if it was the China Virus or not, but in my case if it was it would not have been reported as the china virus.  Many times they will go back and see that certain illnesses and viruses were here before but just overlooked. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Prayers. 

Thank you  

I’m of two minds about it. On one hand, I want to hurry up and get back to work. On the other hand, I want to get this over with. If I come down with the ‘Rona now, then I can no longer think about it anymore. I am young enough, and healthy enough, to not have any of the high risk factors that I’m honestly not worried about getting it. The odds are very, very low that I would die. My job is a higher risk for killing me than the ‘Rona. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Thank you  

I’m of two minds about it. On one hand, I want to hurry up and get back to work. On the other hand, I want to get this over with. If I come down with the ‘Rona now, then I can no longer think about it anymore. I am young enough, and healthy enough, to not have any of the high risk factors that I’m honestly not worried about getting it. The odds are very, very low that I would die. My job is a higher risk for killing me than the ‘Rona. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Understand completely.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Thank you  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I know some won't agree with us but I agree with you. Being sick (with anything) stinks but I'm tired of thinking about it. Part of me wants to get it over with. My wife and I just got back from Mexico 7 days ago and it appears(so far) we managed to not get Covid. We took as many reasonable precautions as we could. Apparently flying is safer than one would think.

My wife is convinced we had it the first few days of February when returning from New Orleans because we had all the symptoms except for loss of taste.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I know some won't agree with us but I agree with you. Being sick (with anything) stinks but I'm tired of thinking about it. Part of me wants to get it over with. My wife and I just got back from Mexico 7 days ago and it appears(so far) we managed to not get Covid. We took as many reasonable precautions as we could. Apparently flying is safer than one would think.

My wife is convinced we had it the first few days of February when returning from New Orleans because we had all the symptoms except for loss of taste.

You may have, not everyone experiences the loss of smell or taste, which of course would make you less susceptible to any further infection from the China Virus.  I have been around so many that have come up positive that I am sort of surprised that I have not been forced to get tested, or been quarantined at least.  But not a bit surprised at the fact that I have not caught it though,  as I too feel I have had it already.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I've had the flu before. Always my senses returned to normal. Not this time. It doesn't appear I'll ever have a return to normal. I always had an acute ability to smell and taste. Not anymore. I've lost 20 pounds from prior to the illness.

Good thing is I can now drink cheap bourbon and not give a ####.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
  • Admin Team
57 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I had a direct exposure on Thursday. I’m going in to get tested tomorrow. 

I had the full brain probe test and the antibody test last week.

I was so hopeful antibody test would come back positive. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure this is what I had last year around this time. I had all the symptoms except the breathing problem, At that time everything started tasting very salty to me, even a slice of bread. Bacon tasted like a spoon of salt in my mouth .  It's not as bad now but I've learned what to stay away from. My wonderful bacon is history. cry.gif

7 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Part of me wants to get it over with.

The very way I felt when I was told by the Doc we had the RONA.

8 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I had a direct exposure on Thursday. I’m going in to get tested tomorrow. 

Praying things go well, drink and eat if you can, keep your strength up as best as you can.

10 hours ago, Omega said:

You may have, not everyone experiences the loss of smell or taste, which of course would make you less susceptible to any further infection from the China Virus.  I have been around so many that have come up positive that I am sort of surprised that I have not been forced to get tested, or been quarantined at least.  But not a bit surprised at the fact that I have not caught it though,  as I too feel I have had it already.

You may be right. Our friend had it and she didn't lose her sense of smell or taste. I don't recall having a fever either though. If I did have Covid, it was the most mild illness I've ever had. About a month ago we went out for beers with a friend. He ended up getting COVID and we didn't. It does make me wonder if my wife was right. His symptoms were so minor he wasn't even convinced he had it but got tested anyways. 

9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I had the full brain probe test and the antibody test last week.

I was so hopeful antibody test would come back positive. 

Was it negative? Are the antibody tests accurate now? Last time I had looked into them I heard they were not very accurate. 

1 hour ago, btq96r said:

The hospital says the announcement comes due to the COVID-19 effects on its employees, low patient volume resulting in low collection and a poor financial situation.

Looks like the high numbers of China Virus patients didn't materialize for them.