SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

• Admin Team
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Was it negative? Are the antibody tests accurate now? Last time I had looked into them I heard they were not very accurate. 

It depends on the assay used to some extent.  This one required a full blood draw and tested IgM and IgG.  

I believe I had COVID back in February - two flu test were negative - but had all the other symptoms - thus the antibody test.  The test came back negative.  My doctor said that it would be highly unlikely to find antibodies after that period of time with COVID - but she wanted to see anyway.

14 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I had a direct exposure on Thursday. I’m going in to get tested tomorrow. 

If you haven't already started taking vitamin D3, you should start immediately and take a 20,000 IU on day 1 and 5,000 IU daily after that. Some people are advocating 50,000 IU on day 1. Good luck. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I had a direct exposure on Thursday. I’m going in to get tested tomorrow. 

One of the "experts" being interviewed a couple of nights ago cautioned against this. He was saying that it sometimes takes up to two weeks for the virus to show up so getting tested shortly after being exposed can lead to a false negative. He recommended getting tested again after a week or two. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

One of the "experts" being interviewed a couple of nights ago cautioned against this. He was saying that it sometimes takes up to two weeks for the virus to show up so getting tested shortly after being exposed can lead to a false negative. He recommended getting tested again after a week or two. 

The negative test lasts me get back on the road. After that, symptoms will determine a retest. I’ll have to test again tomorrow at the terminal as well. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

My doctor said that it would be highly unlikely to find antibodies after that period of time with COVID - but she wanted to see anyway.

That's interesting. Antibodies last less than a year? Brings up all sorts of other questions. Did she elaborate at all?

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, peejman said:

That's interesting. Antibodies last less than a year? Brings up all sorts of other questions. Did she elaborate at all?

I get out of my depth here pretty quickly - but one of the antibodies Immunoglobulin M develops very quickly after infection - but is not long lasting - maybe lasting weeks in the system.  A second antibody immunoglobulin G develops later and is somewhat more durable and longer lasting - lasting months or years in some cases.

It is still unknown as to what protection these antibodies will offer against reinfection.

Because of the above questions as well as the chances for both false positives and even false negative in some cases, it’s generally recognized that a current Emergency Use Authorized serological test is more of a curiosity than an actual diagnostic test. 

• Like 4

TN average daily deaths (updated 2PM daily):

March (over last 11 days of month starting 3/21 with first death) 2.0
April 5.8
May 5.3
June 8.0
July 14.7
Aug  22.5
September 23.2
October 29.0
November 41.9

total TN deaths 7,975   (error)*

IHME projection based on current projection scenario by March 1, 2021: 9,403

- OS

*Just caught error while posting new ones, transposed something or other, dunno exactly what that total was, but something just under 5K.

Edited by Oh Shoot
wrong data

I believe the 💩's about to get real.  437 new cases in Knox County this morning. A new one day record.  And we won't see the peak from the Thanksgiving holiday for a couple of more weeks.  Since Nov. 23 there have been 26 deaths attributed to COVID, according to the Knox County Health Department.That bought the monthly total to 71 and the total since this started to 172. Keep in mind that we only had 5 deaths through July 2nd. Currently there are 129 people in the hospital. Tomorrow they'll announce the available ICU beds.  Last week that was 34.  I suspect that it's fewer right now.

14 minutes ago, Moped said:

I believe the 💩's about to get real.  437 new cases in Knox County this morning. A new one day record.  And we won't see the peak from the Thanksgiving holiday for a couple of more weeks.  Since Nov. 23 there have been 26 deaths attributed to COVID, according to the Knox County Health Department.That bought the monthly total to 71 and the total since this started to 172. Keep in mind that we only had 5 deaths through July 2nd. Currently there are 129 people in the hospital. Tomorrow they'll announce the available ICU beds.  Last week that was 34.  I suspect that it's fewer right now.

What website are you using to track this? I can't find it.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:05 PM, Moped said:

Today, new cases were not significantly down.  There were 377 new cases and 7 more deaths, raising the total to 179 dead.  Possibly even more alarming is the number of ICU beds available. Total capacity is 284 ICU beds and as of this morning, there are only 8 available. Total Adult beds/Non ICU that could be used for COVID patients is 1,861.  Currently 1,734 beds are occupied (by all types of patients), leaving 127 for additional paitents (COVID related or otherwise). There are 3,049 beds in the system, but 1,315 beds cannot be occupied by COVID patients.

If you remember at the beginning of this mess, the Federal Government came in and evaluated places were "field hospitals" could be set up, in the event of a surge. Should that event occur, all hospital beds could be boosted to 4,389.  ICU Beds could be increased to 543 and ventalitors could be increased from 245 to 374.  Currently only 96 ventilators are being used.

The Knox County Board of Health uses 5 benchmarks to make decisions on how to react to COVID.  Right now, all five Benchmarks are in the RED.  This is the first time I've seen that. Could this be the beginning of the healthcare system being overwhelmed in Knox County?

Source: https://covid.knoxcountytn.gov/case-count.html

This article from WBIR is far better at explaining the situation, than my rating treatise above. I advice you to read it. My numbers above, represent the entire 16 county East Tennessee area, not just Knox County. I learned something too!

https://www.wbir.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/all-knox-co-covid-19-benchmarks-are-now-in-the-red-as-regional-hospital-icus-near-capacity/51-cea1a3be-3b70-416c-a98e-540e1d67707b