SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Governor Lee is holding a press conference tomorrow at 1900CST. I’ll be surprised if he says much - despite his wife testing positive today.

I expect another stern talking to like he did this week while we were waiting fir the vaccines to be delivered to the photo op at Vanderbilt.

Police and health department responded to a big wedding tonight in the Wedgewood-Houston neighborhood. Apparently his son was in the wedding party. 

I'm a bit conflicted on this personally. It seems even the states with fairly strict COVID restrictions are still seeing huge increases in new cases. From a policy standpoint, what should he do? I've just not seen proof more restrictions would work. You can pass a mask mandate but I don't see that doing much good unless it's enforced. We have a mask mandate here in Knoxville and I'd say only 60% of people are wearing one, let alone wearing one correctly. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

“Sold” it for cattle.  Good luck of late at TSC.

Maybe out in a co-op somewhere. 

I believe raw Ivermectin (per se) is not available, it is in a cream or topical suspension for delivery (aka you rub it in your cows). Back in the day I bought it in tablet form, and dissolved it in water. The labelled application was to add it (diluted) account your barnyard animals water source, and it would protect them from parasites. It attacks the bugs nervous system (forget exactly how).

There were no restrictions on giving it to animals just prior to slaughter (usually an indicator), and while not condoned by the packagaing, it pretty much said its fine if you get it on your hands or in your eyes.

I was using the product to treat a parasite on saltwater corals, it was sold as a pig de-wormer... I would see if I knew a veterinarian, or if I had a relationship with my dogs vet, I'd ask there, as you probably want legit medical advice before you start taking something.. that being said, yeah, get the cow cream, do the math on your weight, go to town. Don't think it'll kill you either way.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

What we're seeing now is the result of Thanksgiving. Christmas and New Years are almost upon us. I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of this country, including us, was back in total lock down around mid-January. 

Read a really interesting article on zerohedge yesterday talking about the cdc guidelines changing re: PCR testing.

You may recall a couple months ago there was discussion about the test being used to diagnose, and its methodology being susceptible to false positive results? The CDC at the time suggested higher cycle counts to the test, despite the increasing odds of false positives. For those unfamiliar, the Dr. that INVENTED THE TEST suggested cycle counts beyond 35 were pointless, as it all but guaranteed a positive test. The CDC recommended labs use 35-40 cycles. BOOM, cases have been skyrocketting, haven't they?

This week the CDC changed guidance, suggested 25 cycles would be better. Right when the vaccine comes out and starts being distributed. They move the goalposts. Ain't that convenient?

Now I don't want y'all to start calling me Nastrodamus, but who wants to wager me 20 bucks we're going to see all kinds of news articles correlating a drop in positive tests with the new vax being distributed? Any takers?

https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/who-finally-admits-pcr-tests-create-false-positives

RTWT.

The mask mandates and all the other rights-trampelling edicts coming from the government aren't working. Their own statistics prove it. Yet they're doubling down even harder, aren't they?

Folks, this is why I think the response to this virus is a scam. I don't mean to single out @Grayfox54 by quoting him, but if you can't tell you're being played, I got some ocean front property in Kansas I want to talk to you about.

• Like 7

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

Cloth and surgical masks are NOT going to  keep you or me from catching the virus. M95 masks might if they are properly fitted and worn.  

What a cloth or surgical mask will do is to prevent a person already infected with the disease from transmitting quite as many disease-bearing particles in the air when that person sneezes, coughs, shouts, sings, etc.  If you read the article linked above you'll note that the masks are recommended along with social distancing and other hygiene measures.

• Like 1

We have seen that while masks may help; they certainly aren’t the answer. But I guess if that is all you got….that’s all you got.

Most of us that want to take the vaccine won’t see it until summer; so many more are going to die. Half the population says they don’t want to take it; so this will be with us for a long time.

I wonder what the “Covid Task Force” or the “Experts” are saying about the virus mutating and the impact of that on the vaccines they claim are being distributed now?

Edited by DaveTN

I have a friend of mine that has done everything you shouldn't do this year. Parties, bar hopping, huge group gatherings, more parties. Through all of that she never caught COVID. It wasn't until a family gathering that she and her family got it. Her dad brought it home from work. Keep this in mind as you get together with your family for Christmas, especially if you are high risk for COVID. 

14 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I'm a bit conflicted on this personally. It seems even the states with fairly strict COVID restrictions are still seeing huge increases in new cases. From a policy standpoint, what should he do? I've just not seen proof more restrictions would work. You can pass a mask mandate but I don't see that doing much good unless it's enforced. We have a mask mandate here in Knoxville and I'd say only 60% of people are wearing one, let alone wearing one correctly. 

I'd have to say that you can't fix stupid. That and a lack of responsibility. And some folks think if they take precautions it shows weakness. Unfortunately you can't just wish this virus away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

What we're seeing now is the result of Thanksgiving. Christmas and New Years are almost upon us. I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of this country, including us, was back in total lock down around mid-January. 

Under whose "authority" would Tennesseans be subject to lock down?   Seems reasonably clear that Bill Lee is not going to cave to draconian measures again, unless something significant changes his mind.   The first time around, though it was a mistake, we knew much less about the virus and it was largely "a first."

If the areas that are already under draconian measures (NY, CA, etc.) are seeing similar transmission rates and deaths as the areas that aren't (TN, FL, etc.), why would anyone with any sense of reason propose a forced "lock down"?  

Those individuals who - according to their own personal, beliefs, decisions, and risk preferences - don't want to go out, don't have to go out.  Literally anything you might want to buy from milk to a truck to a new roof can be ordered and delivered right to your door. 

In that context alone, what logic exists for lock downs?   Let alone that they are infringements on individual liberty. 

5 hours ago, Darrell said:

Cloth and surgical masks are NOT going to  keep you or me from catching the virus. M95 masks might if they are properly fitted and worn.  

What a cloth or surgical mask will do is to prevent a person already infected with the disease from transmitting quite as many disease-bearing particles in the air when that person sneezes, coughs, shouts, sings, etc.  If you read the article linked above you'll note that the masks are recommended along with social distancing and other hygiene measures.

Those two statements are contradictory.

Cloth and surgical masks are NOT going to  keep you or me from catching the virus.

"cloth" masks vary widely. A one-ply made of most any cloth material, isn't very effective period. Standard surgical masks are 3 ply, much more effective.

What a cloth or surgical mask will do is to prevent a person already infected with the disease from transmitting quite as many disease-bearing particles in the air when that person sneezes, coughs, shouts, sings, etc. 

Add simply "talks" with the etc.

... you'll note that the masks are recommended along with social distancing and other hygiene measures.

Has any health authority every claimed differently?  Surgical masks do not filter the air you breathe on a molecular level, have never claimed to. They simply reduce the reach of the virus from infected individuals, which is often if not primarily from pre and non symptomatic carriers.

- OS

The filthy masks, bandanas, & various other face covering I see people wearing are akin to using paper towels to stop bullets.

They're constantly pulling at them & putting their dirty hands near their eyes. 

If one is that scared of the kung flu, one should stay home & wait till tptb give them permission to venture out.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Those two statements are contradictory.

No they aren't, though I might have worded it more clearly: A surgical or cloth mask will do little to protect the wearer from airborne exposure. An M95 mask must be properly fitted and worn, and proper technique must be used when removing it, or it will have little effect. I, for instance, wear a beard, so  an unfiltered pathway for airborne exposure exists whether or not I wear the best mask.

On your other points we seem to be in rough agreement, more or less. But the main point I was trying to make is that wearing a surgical mask or cloth covering is not likely to do much to reduce the wearer's exposure. The benefit, such as it is, is to prevent spread of the wearer's exhalation particles to others.

If you handle the outside of ANY mask after an exposure, then touch your own face without first thoroughly washing your hands, then you may as well have not worn the mask at all. If you're removing a mask of ANY style, handling it, tossing it in the glove box, then putting it back on, you're likely worse off than if you wore none at all.  Almost no one is properly wearing, and more importantly, removing,  the masks that they have.

Just for grins, try an experiment sometime. When I was a fireman / EMT we did this during the SAARs epidemic:  Put on whatever mask you normally wear to prevent COVID exposure, and put on a pair of nitryl gloves. Get some mustard or ketchup from your fridge and rub it around your gloves. Once your gloves are well-coated, remove your mask and gloves and see if you got any condiment on your skin. It's pretty  tough to properly remove PPE without spreading contamination.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Darrell said:

.... The benefit, such as it is, is to prevent spread of the wearer's exhalation particles to others.

Agreement on that. Masking to reduce spread depends largely on a shared sense of altruism -- which is not a primary ethos in most modern homo sapiens societies.

- OS

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

"cloth" masks vary widely. A one-ply made of most any cloth material, isn't very effective period. Standard surgical masks are 3 ply, much more effective.

You are incorrect because they leak. They only stop large droplets and reduce the amount released into the environment.

27 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

You are incorrect because they leak. They only stop large droplets and reduce the amount released into the environment.

"Large" is a relative term. The 3 ply masks do not allow nearly the same degree of passage of emissions as does say, a common bandana. Many, if not most all, of the same size droplets that would penetrate through said bandana would not make it through a 3 ply surgical mask.

Certainly, some virus is released into the air by just the act of breathing, and those escape from around any non totally sealed covering, but they have short ranges and longevity and concentration.  Hence the self distancing part of the equation. The idea is to hedge all the bets you can, there is no one magic bullet short of living in some sort of bubble.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

censored.gif

Former Democrat presidential candidate Andrew Yang proposed a “barcode” program Friday for Americans to prove they have received a coronavirus vaccination.

“There would be gatekeepers, as I call them, at different places, be it at your workplace or your office when you go in, or a stadium to watch the (Milwaukee) Bucks play,” Mukherjee said. “They would require some form of assurance that you have been vaccinated.”

He argued such a mandate is needed “for the greater public good.”

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/12/20/andrew-yang-calls-barcode-prove-coronavirus-vaccination/

• Haha 1
  • Angry 4
1 hour ago, xsubsailor said:

censored.gif

Former Democrat presidential candidate Andrew Yang proposed a “barcode” program Friday for Americans to prove they have received a coronavirus vaccination.

“There would be gatekeepers, as I call them, at different places, be it at your workplace or your office when you go in, or a stadium to watch the (Milwaukee) Bucks play,” Mukherjee said. “They would require some form of assurance that you have been vaccinated.”

He argued such a mandate is needed “for the greater public good.”

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/12/20/andrew-yang-calls-barcode-prove-coronavirus-vaccination/

Ideally...... this man would then be laughed at all the way to the nearest coast line where he would then be placed on a comfortable sailing boat with a GPS marked for China and followed out to sea by the coastguard broadcasting their laughter on loudspeakers so that he can hear the laughter until he is officially out in international waters. Every day he can be sent a letter from "the American people" that is composed of 15 pages of "HAHA" in 11pt font with 1/2" margins on letter paper 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Certainly, some virus is released into the air by just the act of breathing, and those escape from around any non totally sealed covering, but they have short ranges and longevity and concentration.  Hence the self distancing part of the equation. The idea is to hedge all the bets you can, there is no one magic bullet short of living in some sort of bubble.

- OS

You are wholly incorrect. The smaller the particles the easier they are carried in the air to a greater distance.

• Thanks 1

There's little doubt that masks do help slow the spread. The real key is distancing.  Just stay the hell away from other people as much as you can.  Travel, especially air travel, should be avoided. Yeah, I realize that everybody wants to be with family for Christmas and party for New years. But please, just this one year, don't do it.  After all, you want these people to be around next year too. Don't take chances. 

8 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I doubt they can force anyone to get vaccinated. But there is already talk of requiring it to fly on an airplane, or to go to school. The courts would have to decide those cases.

Not much different than requiring Covid test for admittance to whatever, even to play organized sports, already been done. You can't get a visa to US without 10 or 12 required inoculations. The states have various requirements for immunizations to attend school.

Hell, a reputable kennel won't even board your dawg without certain shots.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

TN average daily deaths (updated 2PM daily):

March      0.7  (first death 3/21/20)
April        5.8
May         5.3
June         8.0
July        14.7
Aug       22.5
Sept      23.2
Oct        29.0
Nov       41.9
Dec       73.0 (thru 21st)       

total TN deaths: 6,136

IHME projection based on current projection scenario by April 1, 2021: 11,370
(back up to above all previous projections for that date)

- OS