SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Memphis continues to burn. 6432 active cases. 818 dead. 35 people died over the weekend. Its completely out of hand. 🤬

January is going to be a very rough time for Tennessee.

Knox County has been putting up record numbers as well the past few days.

Edited by Garufa

Bill Lee appears to have caved, with some sort of "mandate" to not gather in public in groups larger than 10. 

However, it excludes homes and churches.  What large gatherings larger than 10 occur in December outside of a home or church?  

I am, still trying to wrap my head around how such a proclamation does not clearly violate the words in bold?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Edit to add:   I wish I knew Bill Lee personally.  I'd like to candidly ask that question and get an honest, candid answer.   Does he not understand that his edict violates the Constitution?   Or does he understand it and just not care?    Is there a 3rd option that I'm missing?   Anyone have a connection and care to ask him?   No matter the answer, our elected representatives should be able to answer clearly when there's any doubt about a question like this.

Edited by Guest
  • Admin Team

It would seem the word “public” in public gathering is the word failing to carry the weight here.

Consensus is that nothing in the order would keep Dave Ramsey from having another 1000 person Christmas party in his taxpayer subsidized headquarters.

Where you find 1000 people to attend said party in this environment is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Well, first of all, Congress didn't make such a law. Secondly, even though this right is incorporated for the states, Bill Lee has made no such law either.

I believe the TN Constitution allows such actions, hence the fairly wide range of emergency powers granted to him under TCA.  He could legally go much further.

Most, maybe all other states are similar in relation to the extent of the Gov's powers in this regard.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Edit to add:   I wish I knew Bill Lee personally.  I'd like to candidly ask that question and get an honest, candid answer.   Does he not understand that his edict violates the Constitution?   Or does he understand it and just not care?    Is there a 3rd option that I'm missing?   Anyone have a connection and care to ask him?   No matter the answer, our elected representatives should be able to answer clearly when there's any doubt about a question like this.

He's a politician. You won't get an honest, candid, straight answer out of him.

I learned this lesson in 11th or 12th grade. Our English teacher (I was her pet student) had somehow managed (campaign contribution?) to get 2 competing state senators to come to our high school to field some questions from the students. In hindsight, it was a well organized photo op before an election. Teacher told me I would be picked to ask a question of the candidates, to dress nice (cameras boy!), and make it a good one.

Being familiar with the slimy nature of swamp critters I earnestly tried to craft a question about abortion such that it could only be answered binary: yes I support, no I don't.

News crews filled the parking lot, the cafeteria was re-arranged into a stage, lights, camera...

The first SOB spent about 7 minutes going on and on and on about I don't even know. The second guy chimed in and said his stance was pretty much in agreement with his competitor. Neither one said 'yes' or 'no'.

They're all liars, bums, and crooks. If their lips are moving, they're lying to you. Theres a reason we used to tar and feather them. If they survived the process, they would never have that role again. The stains and boils were permanent you see?

Gov. Lee did what all good Politicians do. He danced the two step, catered to both sides of an issue and created non-commital action. So he can say he did something out of one side of his mouth while saying he didn't out of the other.

#####g politicians... hate them all, worst scum of the earth.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

#####g politicians... hate them all, worst scum of the earth.

I feel the same way for the most part. Trump was the 1st I could trust for the most part, Lee came in a close 2nd.

• Like 2

I've never believed its something you can avoid getting all together rather than delaying "your turn". A politican standing behind a podium will comfort some and enrage others but won't change the course of what the entire world is facing. 

• Like 3

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/22/948908168/tennessee-hospitals-are-disturbingly-close-to-their-breaking-point

"If we have another surge after Christmas and New Year's like we did after Thanksgiving, it will completely break our hospitals," Tennessee Health Commissioner Dr. Lisa Piercey said this week. A couple of Tennessee's rural hospitals have requested ventilators from the state's emergency stockpile. A federal emergency team has been sent to the mountainous northeast part of the state. And alternative care sites that were set up months ago, to deal with this kind of patient surge, are empty — rendered useless because there's no staff to run them.

3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

A federal emergency team has been sent to the mountainous northeast part of the state. And alternative care sites that were set up months ago, to deal with this kind of patient surge, are empty — rendered useless because there's no staff to run them.

Excuse me while I pull out my tinfoil hat.....

I'm gonna call BS. Its been a while sine I've been there, but the hospital in Turkey Creek used to be a customer of mine...they were never full, not once, during this entire scamdemic. Remember the refrigerated trailers stacked with dead bodies the national news kept talking about? Yeah, that was a scam, too. I asked a former co-worker of mine who still see's 2 of those accounts in EastTN, I'll report back what he tells me from on-the-ground reporting....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Allright, time to eat crow:

Morristown hospital is currently hit pretty hard. Heated tents in the parkinglot with room for about 100 beds. Staff in the kitchen said they are above max (building) capacity. Turkey Creek still dead (according to the girls that prep the produce).

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

Allright, time to eat crow:

Morristown hospital is currently hit pretty hard. Heated tents in the parkinglot with room for about 100 beds. Staff in the kitchen said they are above max (building) capacity. Turkey Creek still dead (according to the girls that prep the produce).

Earlier in the year I think your previous statement was right. My mom's friend works at Ft Sanders and they never had that many COVID patients at the same time. Now, I believe most are hitting critical mass. I think the info in that article I linked is correct. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, ReeferMac said:

Excuse me while I pull out my tinfoil hat.....

I'm gonna call BS. Its been a while sine I've been there, but the hospital in Turkey Creek used to be a customer of mine...they were never full, not once, during this entire scamdemic. Remember the refrigerated trailers stacked with dead bodies the national news kept talking about? Yeah, that was a scam, too. I asked a former co-worker of mine who still see's 2 of those accounts in EastTN, I'll report back what he tells me from on-the-ground reporting....

Serious question:

Do you still feel right calling it a scamdemic after discussing this further with your former co-worker?

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Guys, I can’t stress this enough. You don’t want to have to go to the hospital for anything right now.

They’re overrun. Especially in the far eastern and western portions of the state - but here in middle Tennessee, too.

I have a friend in the facility where @steelharp passed that is sending folks to the nearest bed they can get over two hours away in Kentucky.

For the next couple of months, this load should probably affect your risk assessment for other activities as well. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Guys, I can’t stress this enough. You don’t want to have to go to the hospital for anything right now.

They’re overrun. Especially in the far eastern and western portions of the state - but here in middle Tennessee, too.

I have a friend in the facility where @steelharp passed that is sending folks to the nearest bed they can get over two hours away in Kentucky.

For the next couple of months, this load should probably affect your risk assessment for other activities as well. 

Hospitals are full.  Here in Knoxville I do know that one a friend of mine works at has suspended all but essential operations and is coverting an entire floor to Covid patients.

A well known Memphis DJ, Chris Jarman, passed away last week.  Not clear on the entire story between what I’ve seen what the news reports (heart attack) and some noise on FB, but basically he needed ICU and there was none available locally.  He did not survive the 100 mile drive to a hospital that could accommodate.

This situation is no joke.  People that need immediate emergency care for non-covid issues may very well die when normally they would not.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Hospitals are full.  Here in Knoxville I do know that one a friend of mine works at has suspended all but essential operations and is coverting an entire floor to Covid patients.

A well known Memphis DJ, Chris Jarman, passed away last week.  Not clear on the entire story between what I’ve seen what the news reports (heart attack) and some noise on FB, but basically he needed ICU and there was none available locally.  He did not survive the 100 mile drive to a hospital that could accommodate.

This situation is no joke.  People that need immediate emergency care for non-covid issues may very well die when normally they would not.

It's very sad.  Makes me wonder what hospitals were doing the last 10 to 11 months, all the while predicting that at some point they'd be overrun.   Didn't China build two 1,000 bed hospitals in about 10 days each? 

(edit to add:   I realize even if the hospitals wanted to build temporary expansions, the EPA and thousand other government bodies would stand in the way.  But at the same time, I haven't heard about hospitals trying to set up temporary structures, maybe I've just missed it?)

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

Serious question:

Do you still feel right calling it a scamdemic after discussing this further with your former co-worker?

Absolutely!

If that was the only data point that made me believe this crisis was being used to manipulate the population I'd be a blooming moron.

1 hour ago, BlessTheUSA said:

It's very sad.  Makes me wonder what hospitals were doing the last 10 to 11 months, all the while predicting that at some point they'd be overrun.   Didn't China build two 1,000 bed hospitals in about 10 days each? 

Both health professionals and the saner media gave plenty of lip service to the IHME projections, but not enough of the actual power structure really believed it.  But even those projections were too moderate, as the projections couldn't account for just how stupidly people would behave. Which continues.

Having a "leader" who undermined common health precautions pretty much daily didn't help the public perception either. Which continues.

- OS

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2
1 minute ago, Oh Shoot said:

Both health professionals and the saner media gave plenty of lip service to the IHME projections, but not enough of the actual power structure really believed it.  But even those projections were too moderate, as the projections couldn't account for just how stupidly people would behave. Which continues.

Having a "leader" who undermined common health precautions pretty much daily didn't help the public perception either. Which continues.

- OS

Yes, if only we had a leader that stayed in a basement for 6 months.  So much better than a leader who championed letting people practice individual liberties and live their lives.  

It's a shame so many people think that instituting even more communism would be a better route. 

9 minutes ago, BlessTheUSA said:

It's a shame so many people think that instituting even more communism would be a better route. 

It's a shame so many people don't mind having blood on their hands by helping kill off half a million of us.  But Murica! Freedom!

- OS

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Absolutely!

If that was the only data point that made me believe this crisis was being used to manipulate the population I'd be a blooming moron.

Well, one doesn’t have to agree with the way things are being handled to be able to accept that the pandemic is a very real and serious issue. 

9/11 was obviously a huge tragedy but one doesn’t have to agree with the aftermath of 9/11 to feel sadness and respect for the tragedy itself. 

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

That old saw about giving up a little liberty in exchange for security seems apropos here?

Several countries have not instituted draconian lockdown measures and have fared similar if not better than many nations, but the press doesn't like to talk about Sweden and their ilk because it hurts the fear narrative to present opposing data.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

Well, one doesn’t have to agree with the way things are being handled to be able to accept that the pandemic is a very real and serious issue. 

9/11 was obviously a huge tragedy but one doesn’t have to agree with the aftermath of 9/11 to feel sadness and respect for the tragedy itself. 

Oh please don't misinterperet my distrust for the goobermint and mainstream media as a refusal to acknowledge the existence of the Kung Flu nor fact that its killing people worlwide. Tis a real thing, as real as all the dead bodies in Manhattan, Washington DC, and Pennsylvania that fateful day.

However, that logic cuts both ways.

The genie is out of the bottle, not going back in. Its real, and its here to stay. Grok that. Giving up your rights, liberty, and security in exchange for the facade of effective preventative measures is exactly what our forefathers warned us about. The statistical data, or 'science' as the propaganda department of fed.guv preaches these days proves the draconian lockdowns are worse than ineffective. Charts that compare the death rates of non lockdown nations like Sweden, Taiwan, South Korea don't seem to appear in the published charts the newz is talking about for some reason.

You go ahead and keep believing everything the talking heads say. You do you. I'll do me.

• Like 3