Oct        29.0
Nov       41.9
Dec       74.3
(2021)
Jan       83.5           (thru 7th)

total TN deaths: 7,492
IHME projection based on current projection scenario by April 1, 2021: 13,936

- OS

I just checked the numbers for Shelby County/Memphis. Sadly we have reached yet another milestone. 6,977 active cases.  That's up 898 from yesterday. The number of deaths has now reached 1003. 😢 

Looks like the Christmas/New Years surge is now getting in full swing. 

Edited by Grayfox54
1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

For what it's worth, at 11:00 today I'm going to get tested for COVID-19 antibodies. It's only $25.00 at the Laboratory Service Center available in Cleveland and Chattanooga.

https://labservicecenter.as.me/schedule.php

A quick finger prick with results in 15 minutes. I thought it'd be rather interesting to do. 

49 minutes ago, Will said:

Got it yesterday,thought I had it in March fot three weeks. Negative but tech said may not show after a couple months.

My doctor said that it only has about a 35% accuracy rate anyway.

Since my wife and I were part of an early cluster in Nashville (early march) we ha e been part of a Vanderbilt Study which involves regular blood work. We were tested for anti-bodies in  July, 4 months after were were infected. I was positive for anti-bodies but my wife was negative. She was sicker than I was. Luckily neither of us were too sick. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Since my wife and I were part of an early cluster in Nashville (early march) we ha e been part of a Vanderbilt Study which involves regular blood work. We were tested for anti-bodies in  July, 4 months after were were infected. I was positive for anti-bodies but my wife was negative. She was sicker than I was. Luckily neither of us were too sick. 

That may be one of the other shoes to drop, ie, that both having Covid and some or all of the vaccines to date doesn't confer but a few months effectiveness. We just won't know for a good while.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
45 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

That may be one of the other shoes to drop, ie, that some or all of the vaccines to date don't confer but a few months effectiveness. We just won't know for a good while.

- OSI kinda been expecting this. I figure it’s going to be like the flu and you will have to be vaccinated every year.

1 minute ago, Moped said:
47 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

That may be one of the other shoes to drop, ie, that some or all of the vaccines to date don't confer but a few months effectiveness. We just won't know for a good while.

- OSI kinda been expecting this. I figure it’s going to be like the flu and you will have to be vaccinated every year.

Once a year is doable, 3 or 4 times a year is a problem, if that were to be what it takes to keep it under control nationwide.

- OS

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

That may be one of the other shoes to drop, ie, that both having Covid and some or all of the vaccines to date doesn't confer but a few months effectiveness. We just won't know for a good while.

- OS

It seems fairly commonly known that the antibody test is woefully inaccurate from a statistical perspective.  Only 70-80% based on this...  https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

1 minute ago, peejman said:

It seems fairly commonly known that the antibody test is woefully inaccurate from a statistical perspective.  Only 70-80% based on this...  https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

Of course, but the real stats will be if folks who had it or took a vaccine come down with it again. And if so, in what frequency. Etc.

That's what I meant re "won't know for a good while".

- OS

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Of course, but the real stats will be if folks who had it or took a vaccine come down with it again. And if so, in what frequency. Etc.

That's what I meant re "won't know for a good while".

- OS

I do know that at least one parent who tested positive in March from the event at which my wife and I were infected, tested positive again in I believe October. 

1 minute ago, Snaveba said:

I do know that at least one parent who tested positive in March from the event at which my wife and I were infected, tested positive again in I believe October. 

There's just so much we don't know about Covid 19, and will take a lot of data gathering and mining over time to tell. Hell, there may still be some huge other shoe to drop about its effects down the road, who knows -- not to mention the possibility of it mutating into something worse. It of course has apparently already made a more contagious offshoot of itself.

I was at a conference way back in the 80's where a med scientist was talking about the eclectic ways virii pick up a trait here and there. His fear was that something common would pick up an effective immunosuppressive component similar to AIDs.

- OS

42 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I know someone who got it twice. Mild case in March. It killed him the second time. 

I’m sorry for your loss.

And now the bubble I have been living in that the first case would help make a second case milder, just burst. 

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I know someone who got it twice. Mild case in March. It killed him the second time. 

This is what freaks me out. I don’t want to catch it the first time, but to be honest I DON’T want my kids to catch it.

No one knows what the long term ramifications of it are and yet we’ve got a vaccine that’s barely been studied to boot. 

I may be on the edge of being a conspiracy theorist, but dang folks! In the grand scheme of things we know VERY LITTLE about this virus! How is it that anyone is comfortable putting a vaccine in their body to combat it is beyond me. But, you guys do you. I’ll do me. Just think about what you’re doing to yourselves. We don’t live forever and we owe it to those around us to live the longest, BEST lives that we can. 

Stay vigilant, Ladies and Gents! 

3 minutes ago, Tedro2022 said:

This is what freaks me out. I don’t want to catch it the first time, but to be honest I DON’T want my kids to catch it.

No one knows what the long term ramifications of it are and yet we’ve got a vaccine that’s barely been studied to boot. 

I may be on the edge of being a conspiracy theorist, but dang folks! In the grand scheme of things we know VERY LITTLE about this virus! How is it that anyone is comfortable putting a vaccine in their body to combat it is beyond me. But, you guys do you. I’ll do me. Just think about what you’re doing to yourselves. We don’t live forever and we owe it to those around us to live the longest, BEST lives that we can. 

Stay vigilant, Ladies and Gents

good luck.

Just found out my cousin's husband passed from it. I think he was 52 with no pre-existing conditions. His mom died in December. Not sure if it was Covid.

It just keeps getting closer to home for me. About once a week I get a message about extended family dying from it. 

• Sad 1
52 minutes ago, Tedro2022 said:

Stay vigilant, Ladies and Gents! 

Same here; too many unknowns with all these numbers, stats and projections.  For one thing, they are saying the pcr test is being done wrong, so many false positives, which will skew the whole second infection stats.  Then, the vaccine may not keep you from getting sick, or from infecting someone.  And now, they say the new strains may be resistant to the vaccine, so you may be at risk even if you do decide to get it.

Now, it's 2021, do we have the TN death rate for 2019 yet?  Anyone posted the numbers for 2020, since we have been harping about numbers for the last 6 months???

The fear of the vaccine is strange when I see the comments come from people that haven't really cared about their health in years(Not addressing anyone on TGO as I have no idea what your health situation is). We are a horribly unhealthy country. We eat the worst possible things, we don't exercise, and have one of the highest rates of obesity in the world and suddenly we're so concerned about our health that we won't get a vaccine because "there's no telling what's in it". 

For everyone that is so against the vaccine I would ask what exactly you think it will take to return life to normal? I don't see a path back to some level of normal unless we vaccinate most of the population and slow the rate of people going into the hospitals. The virus is killing the economy right now, not the government. I spoke to a friend of mine that owns a bar in Knoxville. He's allowed to be open for business, just has to close a bit earlier. His revenue is down 80% from 2019. People aren't coming into the bar, not because they can't, but because they don't want to. 

Tens of millions have had the shot worldwide and people are not dropping dead in the streets like the internet predicted. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

I don't have the patience to read this whole thread but I feel confident people are being scared by hyperbole and misinformation.  I can understand why we don't trust the government on the surface as its failed us too many times but I don't think we should apply that skepticism to the point of folly.  

We you say "we don't know the long term ramification of this vaccine" you haven't researched it very much.  This is not new technology, its acutally over 30 years old.  They've been researching this vaccine mechanism for a very long time.  "So why haven't we had this type of vaccine before now?", because thankfully we haven't had a widespread pandemic significant enought to warrant the human trials.  Ebola, Zika, West Nile are all candidates but infections were not enough to be able to study the results (thank God, aint nobody want Ebola).  

The biggest concern with the vaccine is allergic response.  Yes you will feel bad the day after, especially the second shot, but no you did not actually get COVID-19 from the shot.  Its just your bodies immune system creating the defenses it needs to make you resistant in the future.  

The vaccine made it to production so quickly thanks to the 30+years of research before hand, without that it would likely not have happened.  I can put my tinfoil hat on a empathize with those that are skeptical about the viruses origin and certainly how the government has leveraged us for its own gain to the determent of thousands of small businesses and personal finances across the country.  But none of that leads me to a point where I don't want a vaccine.  Obviously because I took one and get my second shot next Thursday and anxiously wait the opportunity to be "immuno-prepared" (i know that's not a word) for getting back to normal.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
2 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I don't have the patience to read this whole thread but I feel confident people are being scared by hyperbole and misinformation.  I can understand why we don't trust the government on the surface as its failed us too many times but I don't think we should apply that skepticism to the point of folly.  

We you say "we don't know the long term ramification of this vaccine" you haven't researched it very much.  This is not new technology, its acutally over 30 years old.  They've been researching this vaccine mechanism for a very long time.  "So why haven't we had this type of vaccine before now?", because thankfully we haven't had a widespread pandemic significant enought to warrant the human trials.  Ebola, Zika, West Nile are all candidates but infections were not enough to be able to study the results (thank God, aint nobody want Ebola).  

The biggest concern with the vaccine is allergic response.  Yes you will feel bad the day after, especially the second shot, but no you did not actually get COVID-19 from the shot.  Its just your bodies immune system creating the defenses it needs to make you resistant in the future.  

The vaccine made it to production so quickly thanks to the 30+years of research before hand, without that it would likely not have happened.  I can put my tinfoil hat on a empathize with those that are skeptical about the viruses origin and certainly how the government has leveraged us for its own gain to the determent of thousands of small businesses and personal finances across the country.  But none of that leads me to a point where I don't want a vaccine.  Obviously because I took one and get my second shot next Thursday and anxiously wait the opportunity to be "immuno-prepared" (i know that's not a word) for getting back to normal.  

Hey, report back on what the second booster is like.   I think the more I hear from people I know, the better I feel about it.  No one that I know, has had any serious reactions to it.  The sore arm the next day seems to be the biggest complaint, I've gottne from friends and family that have had it already.  That seems like nothing to me.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Meh, you go get your vaccine... I’ll roll the dice the other way. 30 years of prior research or not, they rolled out a concoction that’s untested in the long run. The delivery mechanism might work, but when reports have come out and said that just because you get the vaccine doesn’t mean you won’t get sick, and doesn’t mean that you won’t transmit the virus to others, it sounds like it’s not effective in all cases. I’ll wait until there’s more research and potentially something better than 80 - 90% effective. 

1 hour ago, Tedro2022 said:

.... I’ll wait until there’s more research and potentially something better than 80 - 90% effective. 

The flu vaccine has been around for almost 75 years, and is no more effective than around 60-70% at best, usually less, sometimes far less.

AIDS virus was first identified 37 years ago, and there is still no vaccine at all.  Not mention the common cold.

So I'd opine that the Covid vaccine is quite the success.

- OS

• Like 4