SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

I've been contacted by Vanderbilt twice to schedule an appointment to get the vaccine, but I've declined. I'll take my chances with vitamin D instead. A year or so from now when we have some data on the long term effects of the shot, I'll reconsider it. Best of luck to all taking it. 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Shorty said:

Try going by a Vax location in the last hour or so of them being open.  If they have doses left and no patients scheduled, you may be able to get a shot.  I've heard this worked at one of the locations in Bartlett recently.

This worked for my parents. It wasn't intentional on their part, but they happened to be at the pharmacy when they had a few doses available. 

12 hours ago, jgradyc said:

I've been contacted by Vanderbilt twice to schedule an appointment to get the vaccine, but I've declined.

Next time they call back please send them my way. I'll gladly take the shot. I've yet to see any data showing the shot to be more dangerous that Covid. 

• Like 3

I checked the website again today. I'm trying for the place that's only a couple of miles from me. Anyway, they had one spot open for tomorrow. I immediately filled out the web form and submitted it. Somebody beat me to it while I was typing. 🥴

I'll keep trying, but unless I get lucky, it may be a while. 🙄

In other news, Gov. Lee is highly pissed at Memphis. It seems that somebody screwed up big time and let 2400 doses go bad.  A few weeks ago they let 500 doses expire. The state isn't taking over the job, but they are sending state health dept personal to "supervise".  Of course Memphis and Shelby County governments are busy blaming each other. 🤬

Welcome to Memphis, where government can break and anvil with a rubber hammer. 💩

• Angry 1
  • Admin Team
22 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I checked the website again today. I'm trying for the place that's only a couple of miles from me. Anyway, they had one spot open for tomorrow. I immediately filled out the web form and submitted it. Somebody beat me to it while I was typing. 🥴

I'll keep trying, but unless I get lucky, it may be a while. 🙄

In other news, Gov. Lee is highly pissed at Memphis. It seems that somebody screwed up big time and let 2400 doses go bad.  A few weeks ago they let 500 doses expire. The state isn't taking over the job, but they are sending state health dept personal to "supervise".  Of course Memphis and Shelby County governments are busy blaming each other. 🤬

Welcome to Memphis, where government can break and anvil with a rubber hammer. 💩

Is this the site you’re looking at?

https://www.tn.gov/health/news/2021/2/25/covid-19-vaccination-appointments-still-available-in-shelby-county-.html

On 3/14/2020 at 9:54 AM, Snaveba said:

Is it me, or is anyone else seeing a creep up in per round ammo prices? I’m seeing 9mm 115 gr brass case upwards of $0.25 to $0.29 per round.

I bought PMC 115gr 9mm at $8.99 per box last month from Ammuntion Depot.  Also, as a tac-pac sling bag with 350 rounds of PMC 9mm was $93.00. Now the same package is $142.

looks like price gouging to me. 

Reading back through this thread from about a year ago and came upon  this post of mine.
Wouldn’t we all love to pay $0.25 to $0.29 per round for 9mm. The $0.18 per round I paid for PMC this time last year seems like a dream. 

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Next time they call back please send them my way. I'll gladly take the shot. I've yet to see any data showing the shot to be more dangerous that Covid. 

If only it worked like that, I would have given at least three people a chance at a shot series.

• Like 1

The CDC COVID data tracker shows that new cases are dropping steadily and steeply since early January.  At that rate, it will be mostly gone by late March/early April.  Regardless, it's a virus and viruses will return when we get into flu season this fall. I think what everyone here should be doing is...

1. Losing weight.  There is a strong correlation between excessive weight and COVID severity.  With only a moderate change in exercise and nutrition, everyone could lose 2 lbs/month, which would be 24 pounds since the COVID outbreak last February. More to the point, it could be 12 pounds by the arrival of flu season in September. There is no downside. A more aggressive approach could lose 20-30 pounds by then.  
  2. Exercising. The direct correlation to exercise isn't as strong, but exercise boosts the immune system, helps lose weight, and slows aging. Note that age (and obesity) are the top cofactors in COVID severity and death.  You can't change your chronological age, but you can change your functional age. 
  3. Taking supplements to boost the immune system. Vitamin D3 is probably the most important supplement to take. There is a strong correlation between low D levels and COVID 19. Vitamin D does not just boost the immune system, it modulates the immune system. If COVID didn't cause an overreaction of the immune system, COVID would be no worse than the flu. Zinc is also important, but low zinc levels is not a problem for most people. On the other hand, probably 9 out of 10 people reading this have less than optimal D levels unless they have been taking a vitamin D3 supplement.

It is a travesty that our public health officials have not been telling people this since last April when the first study on vitamin D and COVID came out. Thousands of lives might have been saved. 

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

That's all over the news here. So far one person has retired, another quit and the County health Department Director has resigned. But County Commissioners were already voting to fire her.  I also believe one doctor has been arrested for stealing vaccine. A week or so ago, the county turned over control of vaccinations to the city. Try to understand how screwed up things have to be to give control of something this important to Memphis of all people. 🥴

State investigators just keep coming up with cases of mistakes, carelessness, misappropriation and down right theft of vaccines. The list seems to grow every day. 

Just another day in Memphis.  🙄

2 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I lived in Memphis from 1994 to 1999. As I recall, the City Government at the time was fairly corrupt with Mayor Herenton and his cronies. Has much changed?

Mayor Strickland seems like a decent guy. Note that I said seems. The city council and pretty much every department are still filled with the same old crooks, buddies and incompetents. So nope, no real change at all. 

TN average daily Covid deaths:

(2020)
March      0.7  (first death 3/21/20)
April      5.8
May        5.3
June       8.0
July      14.7
Aug       22.5
Sept      23.2
Oct       29.0
Nov       41.9
Dec       74.3
(2021)
Jan       88.4
Feb       62.8     

total TN deaths thru 2/28/21: 11,411

- OS

• Like 1
On 2/27/2021 at 2:20 PM, xsubsailor said:

In a word.............No. Just the names have changed

Still lagging closely  behind chicago in murders while claiming the crime rate is down.  The current mayor and city clowncil are no better than in the past years.

Now there is concern they have been using expired vaccine for the shots.

Edited by tnhawk

I just got back from getting my first shot. It went much better than I expected. The on-line sign up was much better than my try last week. I got an appointment in just a few minutes.

Arrived at the site and Deputies were directing traffic on the main road. They have a bit of a maze laid out in the parking lot both coming in and going out. 1st stop: check appointment and give you paperwork. 2nd stop is a large tent big enough for two lanes of traffic. They let six vehicles in each lane enter at a time. 12 total in the tent. Here they take paperwork and give you your shot. Nobody moves until all vehicles are taken care of. Then all cars leave at the same time. 3rd stop: a 10 minute hold on the way out to make sure you don't have a reaction. Move to 4th stop: Another 10 minute hold and then you're done. The whole process took about 35-40 minutes. Most of it is just waiting to make sure you're ok with the vaccine and no bad reactions. 

I guess the state getting involved and turning over the vaccinations to Memphis was a good thing. Just a few weeks ago we were hearing horror stories of hours in line and not enough vaccine. Looks like its pretty squared away now. 👍

• Like 3
On 3/1/2021 at 2:06 PM, Oh Shoot said:

TN average daily Covid deaths:

(2020)
March      0.7  (first death 3/21/20)
April      5.8
May        5.3
June       8.0
July      14.7
Aug       22.5
Sept      23.2
Oct       29.0
Nov       41.9
Dec       74.3
(2021)
Jan       88.4
Feb       62.8     

total TN deaths thru 2/28/21: 11,411

- OS

Through 6Mar, the March average is 20.5/day, but I think cases are a better measure of where we are.

On Dec 18, TN peaked with a 7-day moving average of 9,600/day. On 6Mar, it was 1,188/day. That's about an 88% decline! 

Edited by jgradyc

The news is Shelby County is both good and bad. Active cases are down to 1302. Lowest that's been in a very long time  and the count seems to be dropping every day. 👍

The bad news is that deaths have now reached 1517.   So while there are fewer cases, they seem to be getting worse. 😟

17 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The news is Shelby County is both good and bad. Active cases are down to 1302. Lowest that's been in a very long time  and the count seems to be dropping every day. 👍

The bad news is that deaths have now reached 1517.   So while there are fewer cases, they seem to be getting worse. 😟

I was noticing that trend in Knox County last month too.  

I stand corrected.  Since I last reported the Stats in Knox County, on Jan. 23rd, there have only been a 120 deaths reported.  The two weeks prior to that, there were 70 deaths.  So that number has come down too!  

Edited by Moped