SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

• Admin Team

Just a note that if you’re over 65 or have any of the conditions that would put you in group 1C - or you take care of someone that has those conditions - you’re eligible for the vaccine statewide today. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Just a note that if you’re over 65 or have any of the conditions that would put you in group 1C - or you take care of someone that has those conditions - you’re eligible for the vaccine statewide today. 

My old man is 64 and has heart disease. Any idea when he will be eligible? 

This was lowest TN weekly death total since I started keeping that in Dec:

Dec 1-7    407 
Dec 8-14   532
Dec 15-21  595
Dec 22-28  452 
Dec 29-31  319

Jan 1-7   585           
Jan 8-14  740     
Jan 15-21 452
Jan 22-28 733
Jan 29-31 233

Feb   1-7   819 
Feb  8-14   464 
Feb 15-21   200 
Feb 22-28   278 

Mar 1-7  136    

- OS

• Like 4
On 2/24/2021 at 8:56 PM, jgradyc said:

I've been contacted by Vanderbilt twice to schedule an appointment to get the vaccine, but I've declined. I'll take my chances with vitamin D instead. A year or so from now when we have some data on the long term effects of the shot, I'll reconsider it. Best of luck to all taking it. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/vitamin-d-supplements-may-offer-no-covid-benefits-data-suggests/ar-BB1epNM4?li=BBnbcA1

19 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Thanks. That study references three large studies with the opposite findings. It excludes Spain and Sweden from the data, which are strong example of the negative correlation between vitamin D and severity of COVID-19.  Clinicaltrials.gov shows 82 ongoing studies of vitamin D as a treatment/preventive for COVID-19. It's not just wacko vitamin nuts who think vitamins can cure everything. 

I'm okay with everyone else getting the shot. My choice won't affect the speed of vaccinating everyone since there's a waiting list of people to get the shot. 

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

If you're in middle Tennessee, metro is doing a big drive through vaccination on Saturday at Nissan stadium and appointments are widely available:

https://redcap.health.nashville.gov/redcap/surveys/?s=8N3JDCMKWR

This applies to everyone in group 1C statewide.

Likewise, here in middle Tennessee, Walmart has just opened appointments as well.  Yesterday afternoon  and today, they have plenty of same day appointments depending on where you are.  Clarksville was trying to give them away to anyone who wanted it yesterday.

Cookeville reported this morning that "if you're between 16 and 65 we'll give it to you."

https://www.walmart.com/account/login?returnUrl=/pharmacy/clinical-services/immunization/scheduled?imzType=covid

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

As I consider my vaccine options, does anybody have any hard information or links regarding vaccine costs for the uninsured?

If you go to your county health clinic there is no cost. I have good insurance, but the Cumberland county vaccine station didn't even ask about it.

Free at some Wal Marche stores as well:

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/walmart-pharmacies-in-tennessee-now-offering-covid-19-vaccine

Edited by Darrell
  • Thanks 1

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, have not researched this subject and did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night. 

I have a question for those of you more informed on this topic than me. My understanding of the COVID vaccines is that they, like most, if not all other vaccines, do not prevent the vaccinated from catching COVID or from infecting others. Instead the COVID vaccine reduces the symptoms or severity of COVID for the vaccinated (which if true is obviously beneficial to the vaccinated).

Is my understanding consistent with currently available medical research? If my understanding is correct then the vaccines will not stop or slow the spread of COVID. If my understanding is not correct please clarify my misunderstanding. If my understanding is correct, what affect does a non-vaccinated person have to someone who has been vaccinated?  Are we back to the flatten the curve and not overrun our healthcare providers with COVID cases argument?  At some point that argument seems to extend to taking away spoons from overweight folks who could conceivably overrun our healthcare providers at some point as well (once again assuming the premise that the vaccine does not prevent the spread of COVID). I realize my understanding may well be incorrect hence my inquiry and request for clarification.

Full disclosure my 74 year old mother was fully vaccinated at my request. If it’s good enough for her it’s good enough for me. I’m just trying to understand another facet of “science” that has been politicized. 

Thanks in advance for any learned input. 

1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

I got my second dose of the Moderna this morning. We'll see if the second dose has more kick than the first, I guess.

Me too!  Got mine at the VA in Nashville.  The process was way quicker this time.  Only took about an hour waiting, with an appt.  I had almost n o side effects with 1st one, hoping this one is similar.

7 minutes ago, Defender said:

Me too!  Got mine at the VA in Nashville.  The process was way quicker this time.  Only took about an hour waiting, with an appt.  I had almost n o side effects with 1st one, hoping this one is similar.

Mine was VA Murfreesboro. I had an "appointment" too, but I was 212th in line. My first shot I had an arm that was more sore than with a normal vaccine, but she landed smack-dab on a nerve with the needle. This time I felt nothing, and so far no soreness.

I wish they'd given me the choice to opt for the Johnson & Johnson the second go around. With the Moderna it works better unless you are in that small percentile that it doesn't work at all - then you risk death. With the J&J vaccine, if it doesn't work you still have no severe symptoms.

12 hours ago, Bnashville said:

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, have not researched this subject and did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night. 

I have a question for those of you more informed on this topic than me. My understanding of the COVID vaccines is that they, like most, if not all other vaccines, do not prevent the vaccinated from catching COVID or from infecting others. Instead the COVID vaccine reduces the symptoms or severity of COVID for the vaccinated (which if true is obviously beneficial to the vaccinated).

Is my understanding consistent with currently available medical research? If my understanding is correct then the vaccines will not stop or slow the spread of COVID. If my understanding is not correct please clarify my misunderstanding. If my understanding is correct, what affect does a non-vaccinated person have to someone who has been vaccinated?  Are we back to the flatten the curve and not overrun our healthcare providers with COVID cases argument?  At some point that argument seems to extend to taking away spoons from overweight folks who could conceivably overrun our healthcare providers at some point as well (once again assuming the premise that the vaccine does not prevent the spread of COVID). I realize my understanding may well be incorrect hence my inquiry and request for clarification.

Full disclosure my 74 year old mother was fully vaccinated at my request. If it’s good enough for her it’s good enough for me. I’m just trying to understand another facet of “science” that has been politicized. 

In a nutshell, as I understand it, there just isn't enough data/research to definitively say.

It seems that the vaccine may or may not prevent "catching" the disease at all. Much like influenza, seems to depend on a variety of factors, the  most variable of which might be the individual himself. In the case of flu, the yearly vaccine almost certainly will mitigate the effects of an infection.  The big difference in the Covid vaccine is that it seems to be mitigated significantly more effectively than with the flu vaccine.

Certainly, if a vaccinated person catches Covid it seem likely that they can indeed also transmit it. However, the degree to which they can also seems to be lower, as total viral load has been shown to be a significant factor in transmission. In that regard, it's beneficial to the population at large as it does indeed prevent spread to a larger degree than a non-vaccinated person having it.

But again, at this point, precisely definitive statements are simply not rock solid. It's like the 3ft, 6ft, one mile debate. At what point can a sneeze or cough not reach you with enough viral load to pass it along?

IF Covid had only the same infection potential as most varieties of the flu we've seen so far, this wouldn't have been nearly the big whup it has been. But it's definitely been shown to be quite a bit more transmissible, so like always, everything helps.

There's still so much to be learned about it. The issue of "long haulers" is especially vexing. And I hope there's still not another shoe to drop down the road with all the younger folks who have had it.

- OS

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Bnashville said:

Vaccines work by preventing symptoms, they do not prevent infection or transmission, both of which can happen asymptomatically. Vaccines prepare your immune system to fight the virus so you don't exhibit symptoms. 

If a bunch of us got tested for the presence of the viruses that cause polio, meningitis, or measles, the results might be surprising. While we've all been vaccinated to prevent these diseases, that doesn't mean the virus is gone. The anti-vax crowd has proven that these viruses are still around. 

Vaccinated people have little to fear from those who haven't been.  The unvaccinated are still vulnerable. 

2 hours ago, peejman said:

Vaccines work by preventing symptoms, they do not prevent infection or transmission, both of which can happen asymptomatically. Vaccines prepare your immune system to fight the virus so you don't exhibit symptoms. 

If a bunch of us got tested for the presence of the viruses that cause polio, meningitis, or measles, the results might be surprising. While we've all been vaccinated to prevent these diseases, that doesn't mean the virus is gone. The anti-vax crowd has proven that these viruses are still around. 

Vaccinated people have little to fear from those who haven't been.  The unvaccinated are still vulnerable. 

This is confusing. How was smallpox eradicated with vaccines if it continued to thrive in vaccinated people?

1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

This is confusing. How was smallpox eradicated with vaccines if it continued to thrive in vaccinated people?

If smallpox was eradicated, why haven't all the other viruses i mentioned also been eradicated?  Perhaps there's something unique about smallpox, maybe its more fragile or less easily transmitted?  

1 minute ago, peejman said:

If smallpox was eradicated, why haven't all the other viruses i mentioned also been eradicated?  Perhaps there's something unique about smallpox, maybe its more fragile or less easily transmitted?  

I don't know the answer. Just trying to find some hope that I won't be wearing a mask for the rest of my life.