SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

Shelby County’s new mask directive:

Persons who cannot medically tolerate wearing a face covering are not required to wear a face shield, and no person declining to wear a face covering because of a medical condition is required to produce verifying medical documentation.

I’m thinking there’s about to be a pandemic of MHD (mask hypertension disorder).  

Edited by deerslayer
11 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Shelby County’s new mask directive:

Persons who cannot medically tolerate wearing a face covering are not required to wear a face shield, and no person declining to wear a face covering because of a medical condition is required to produce verifying medical documentation.

I’m thinking there’s about to be a pandemic of MHD (mask hypertension disorder).  

I think most mandates had some medical loopholes in it, but that won't stop those that want to mask-shame non wearers.  I just smirk and walk away when confronted by those ignorant people, and because I am not wearing a mask, they can see the smirk.

22 minutes ago, Omega said:

I think most mandates had some medical loopholes in it, but that won't stop those that want to mask-shame non wearers.  I just smirk and walk away when confronted by those ignorant people, and because I am not wearing a mask, they can see the smirk.

I think I'd start coughing.

• Like 1

I hope we (and the US in general) aren't settling in on some kind of plateau.

TN Covid deaths per week

Feb   1-7   819  
Feb  8-14   464   
Feb 15-21   200   
Feb 22-28   278  

Mar 1-7  136     
Mar 8-14  80
Mar 15-21 86

- OS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, March overall is "good" news, lowest average Covid death per day rate since last August. Bad news is that there was an upswing in last 10 days of month, which seems a bit odd what with the vax program underway for a while now. We'll see.

(2021)
Mar 1-7  136     
Mar 8-14  80
Mar 15-21 86
Mar 22-28 139
Mar 29-31 52

Total: 493= 15.9 deaths per day

TN average daily Covid deaths:

(2020)
March      0.7  (first death 3/21/20)
April      5.8
May        5.3
June       8.0
July      14.7
Aug       22.5
Sept      23.2
Oct       29.0
Nov       41.9
Dec       74.3
(2021)
Jan       88.4
Feb       62.8
March   15.9      

total TN deaths thru 4/1/21: 11,915

- OS

On 3/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, Bnashville said:

I have a question for those of you more informed on this topic than me. My understanding of the COVID vaccines is that they, like most, if not all other vaccines, do not prevent the vaccinated from catching COVID or from infecting others. Instead the COVID vaccine reduces the symptoms or severity of COVID for the vaccinated (which if true is obviously beneficial to the vaccinated).

I encourage you to do your own research on this question using information available from trusted sources or by speaking with your own physician. There's a LOT of misinformation distributed on-line in forums like this one by people who have an incomplete understanding of the situation. (And virtually any other question, for that matter.)   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was able to get an appointment for the single dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine. I went out of my way to get that one specifically. I know we had some people here interested in that one. I used Vaccinefinder.org and selected J&J only. There are several pharmacies around Knoxville offering it. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
32 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I was able to get an appointment for the single dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine. I went out of my way to get that one specifically. I know we had some people here interested in that one. I used Vaccinefinder.org and selected J&J only. There are several pharmacies around Knoxville offering it. 

I’m curious as to why you want the J&J vaccine specifically.  Is it just that it is a single dose? Or are there other factors that you are concerned about with the pfiser or Moderna vaccine?

• Admin Team

I think the “once and done” nature of J&J is appealing to a lot of people. It creates a good response with one shot and is “known technology” in terms of vaccine development.

For what it’s worth, both of my friends who work in immunology and public health were happy to find out I got the Moderna vaccine (luck of the draw, first shot). They both noted it was more effective against some emerging mutations that have folks like them worried.

But, as a general rule, I would still proffer that people should get whatever vaccine is on offer at the place that’s most convenient to them.

I would have taken the J&J vaccine if that’s what they had. 

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

My significant other's doctor won't let her get anything but the J&J. So, we're on the waiting list for that. None available in this neck of the woods. My may go for one of the others and get it out of the way.

23 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I’m curious as to why you want the J&J vaccine specifically.  Is it just that it is a single dose? Or are there other factors that you are concerned about with the pfiser or Moderna vaccine?

The one and done is appealing. And while it's less effective overall, it's still extremely effective at preventing hospitalization and death which seems to be most important. 

• Like 1

Well I got the shot around 1215 yesterday. I felt perfectly normal until around 10pm when I tried to go to bed and realized I had a mild fever. If I had taken their advice and eaten some Tylenol I probably would have slept ok. I didn't get much sleep but aside from that and a sore arm, I feel pretty normal today. CVS was very efficient. The entire process took around 30 minutes and half of that was waiting after the shot to make sure I didn't croak. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I know some folks have been iffy about the vaccine.  But, I’m thrilled every time I see someone get it.

I’m tired of losing folks to this. 

I have never been iffy about the vaccine. I have lost a few folks too. I'm iffy about the manipulations for personal gain. Once this vaccine kicks in, Fuaci and all the Mask Karens can kiss my retired butt.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I know some folks have been iffy about the vaccine.  But, I’m thrilled every time I see someone get it.

I’m tired of losing folks to this. 

The only person I know that has been lost to covid died five weeks after getting her second vaccine shot. She was healthy before being vaccinated.  I can’t blame her family for being in the “iffy” crowd.  

• Sad 1

Had the virus last year. It was rough for me and I don't wish that on anyone. It nearly put me in the hospital due to the fluid on my lungs and lowered O2 levels. I avoided the hospital and potential vent because I a) caught it early, b) started treatment early, and c) am a moderately healthy middle aged person with out a lot of comorbidities. 

Got my first vaccine shot (Moderna) on Monday. It kicked my butt a little but nothing like the virus itself. I had a bit of a headache the afternoon of the shot that was knocked back easily with Tylenol. I had some weirdly achy legs the following day and a brain fog that would not quit. I could not focus well at all. That subsided in the evening and by Wed. morning everything seemed to be back to normal. 

My wife has had both rounds of vaccinations (also Moderna) and had nothing more than a sore arm and a little fatigue. Here is to hoping that my second round does not come with any further issues. 

So glad some of youse guys are getting it, especially some I know personally.

Once I was two weeks past the second Pfizer dose, I felt fairly confident that my personal risk became near zero for serious illness/hospitalization/death.

But even though the science seems to be showing that vaxed folks have very high probability of not being infectious period, I still would be reluctant to be closely associated with any one not vaxxed, as I just couldn't abide the thought that I caused someones illness or death, however slight that might be.

Including some of you "younger" folks, as this UK variant is now hammering pre-geezer folks too.

- OS

• Like 1