SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

I had a dickens of a time trying to schedule my 2nd dose appointment via the web. 聽The system would not confirm my appointment nor let me proceed further, so I ended up having to hard-dial a real, live human to set this up. 聽I'm at a different Health Center than the first time, but will be happy when it's done 馃檪

Oddly, you aren't automatically signed up after the first shot, which would be sensible. Maybe they'll work out the distribution bugs in time for the next pandemic.

4 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Oddly, you aren't automatically signed up after the first shot, which would be sensible. Maybe they'll work out the distribution bugs in time for the next pandemic.

The VA automatically schedules the second dose. 聽You are right, one would think that all clinics would automatically schedule the second dose.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Links2k said:

The VA automatically schedules the second dose. 聽You are right, one would think that all clinics would automatically schedule the second dose.

Good for you! Logistics is the key here.

Yes, it's a bit of a free-for-all and I just thought I would alert folks to be persistent and to call TN Dept of Health at 866-442-5301 if they have problems registering! The folks there were quick to resolve the issue!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Links2k said:

Knoxville Dept of Health did, at least through the one I wound up at, ET Children's Hospital.

- OS

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Links2k said:

They did in Murfreesboro, but at one month rather than the recommended 2-weeks.

1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

They did in Murfreesboro, but at one month rather than the recommended 2-weeks.

Pfizer is 21 days, Moderna is 28 days.

Those are the minimums, a week or two or even longer doesn't seem to make a diff in studies so far.

- OS

• Like 1

Trying to get the shots in Shelby County at the beginning was a total mess. But since the State stepped in about 6-8 weeks ago, its been a breeze. Quick, easy on-line sign up. Plenty of Vaccine,聽plenty of appointments and less than an hour to actually get the shots. I had no trouble at all getting both of my shots.聽馃憤

It seems the problem here now is that although the system is running incredibly smoothly, people just aren't signing up. Only a small percentage of those eligible are actually taking the vaccine.聽 County leaders are strongly encouraging people to get the vaccine.

Also in Shelby County, the number of active cases is slowly creeping back up. But there hasn't been a major surge as some places have had recently. We were down to about 1,000 active cases a few weeks ago, but now up to 1451 as of today.聽

• Like 1

Nashville was easy. I signed up last Wednesday and had my first shot today. Took all of 40 min to leave my parked car in the garage at the Music City Center, walk in, sign in, get the shot, wait 15 min to check for an adverse reaction, and then get back to my car.聽

• Admin Team

It should be noted that the pause is the system working exactly like it鈥檚 supposed to. Side effects get attention - and guidance modified if necessary.

I personally hope the review will be expedited. 聽This particular blood clotting issue - similar to the Astra Zeneca issue (they use the same delivery mechanism)聽that caused the pause in the UK is serious, but extremely rare. The number of cases detected is statistically below the background noise level for the population at large. 聽Meanwhile, we鈥檙e still losing 750/day to the聽virus.

There are no easy answers - but the messaging on this is going to be critical.聽

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

6 cases out of 6.8 million doses is a case percentage of 0.0000009. That is very low.聽

you have a greater chance of being struck by lightening 聽which is 1 in 500,000 or聽(0.000002%)

Or dying of general anesthesia: 1 in 100,000

Or dying from crossing the street: 1 in 556

Or dying in a car crash: 1 in 103

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I reckon I was in before the lock.

Both my MIL and her mom were supposed to get the J&J vaccine tomorrow. I hope they will give them another one rather than cancel all together. Neither of them would do well if they got COVID.聽

55 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Both my MIL and her mom were supposed to get the J&J vaccine tomorrow. I hope they will give them another one rather than cancel all together. Neither of them would do well if they got COVID.聽

It's possible that they will have something else. From what we have seen, the vaccine places get a batch of one kind. So, there may be a lag time. But, they are going to keep cranking it out for those that want it. Some people don't want it. And, the J&J news isn't going to help that.

• Like 2

For enough of the world to be vaccinated to bring Covid to bay, the J&J seems to provide the best hope due to the minimal refrigeration need, one dose admin, efficacy, and price.

The AstraZeneca is similar, but the two dose regimen is a significant drawback.

- OS

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

There's already been a bit of a production delay with the J&J vaccine - turns out supply chain logistics during a global pandemic is hard.

But, here in Tennessee, they've been telling people to keep their existing appointments. 聽The state has enough of the Pfizer vaccine to offer that as an alternative.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

They may have to re-schedule as the vaccination聽sites generally have ~ only enough for their appointments, particularly because of the cold-storage requirements for Pfizer and Moderna

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

For enough of the world to be vaccinated to bring Covid to bay, the J&J seems to provide the best hope due to the minimal refrigeration need, one dose admin, efficacy, and price.

The AstraZeneca is similar, but the two dose regimen is a significant drawback.

- OS

I'm a big fan of the J&J if we don't wind up with a blood clot. There were a couple of funky side effects. But, you hear about that out of all of them.

Okay, second week this month continues overall down trend after the little blip toward first of the month:

(2021)
Jan 1-7聽聽 585聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 聽
Jan 8-14聽 740聽聽聽 聽
jan 15-21 452
jan 22-28 733
Jan 29-31 233

total: 2,743聽 88.4 deaths per day

(2021)
Feb聽聽 1-7聽聽 819聽聽 117.0
Feb聽 8-14聽聽 464聽聽聽 66.2
Feb 15-21聽聽 200聽聽聽 28.5
Feb 22-28聽聽 278聽聽聽 39.7

Total: 1,761聽 62.8 deaths per day

(2021)
Mar 1-7聽 136聽聽聽 聽
Mar 8-14聽 80
Mar 15-21 86
Mar 22-28 139
Mar 29-31 52

Total: 493 15.9 deaths per day

(2021)
Apr 1-7聽聽 72聽聽 聽
Apr 8-14聽 56

Running total: 128聽 9.1 deaths per day

- OS

2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:
Influenza cases in the USA, 2016-2021
2016-2017: 29 million
2017-2018: 45 million
2018-2019: 36 million
2019-2020: 38 million
2020-2021: 0.0015 million

Perhaps this indicates that limiting crowds,聽wearing masks and social distancing works to reduce the spread of communicable disease?聽

Edited by Swamp ash
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Perhaps this indicates that limiting crowds,聽wearing masks and social distancing works to reduce the spread of communicable disease?聽

Nope, It means they called everything death related to Covid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1