SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

The only people I know, including my own family, that won't get the shot, are conservative. But I agree it may not be a political reason for not getting it. Some folks made up their mind last year they weren't going to get it and nothing seems to be changing their mind. 

There are a few good reasons for not getting it. They just don't apply to folks my age IMO. If I was worried about the long term effects of something that is not FDA approved, and was in a low risk group (like you), it would be much tougher to pull the trigger. Got nothing to do with Trump vs that idiot. Plain old cost/benefit exercise.

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

There are a few good reasons for not getting it.

Can't say I've seen any proof of this. My biggest issue with this entire thing is that most of the country never cared about their health before this yet they are suddenly concerned about a vaccine. We probably come into contact with a dozen carcinogens on a daily basis on top of all the other horrible habits we have. No one cares about that but they are concerned about unproven long term effects of a vaccine. It's almost laughable if it wasn't so ridiculous. 

Maybe I take back what I said before. A lot of people don't want the shot because liberal elites are telling them to get it. Fauci is the enemy. It is absolutely political for some. 

Edited by Erik88
46 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

The only people I know, including my own family, that won't get the shot, are conservative. But I agree it may not be a political reason for not getting it. Some folks made up their mind last year they weren't going to get it and nothing seems to be changing their mind. 

I read somewhere that only about 25% of black folks have been vaccinated. Do you you believe the other 75% are conservative?

• Like 1
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Maybe I take back what I said before. A lot of people don't want the shot because liberal elites are telling them to get it. Fauci is the enemy. It is absolutely political for some. 

Much of the rhetoric around the vaccine is explicitly political. This has prevented many from doing an honest cost/benefit analysis around the vaccine. Political critters and media outlets of all varieties and stripes engaged in this rhetoric to the detriment of everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I read somewhere that only about 25% of black folks have been vaccinated. Do you you believe the other 75% are conservative?

Vaccine hesitancy is a known phenomenon in the black community that is based on long history of documented malefaction by government health officials. For anyone wondering why that is, I got two words for you, “Tuskegee Experiment”.

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Vaccine hesitancy is a known phenomenon in the black community that is based on long history of documented malefaction by government health officials. For anyone wondering why that is, I got two words for you, “Tuskegee Experiment”.

What explains the hesitancy among the conservative population?  As I recall, Operation Warp Speed implemented by the prior, infallible POTUS, fast-tracked vaccine development and distribution.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

What explains the hesitancy among the conservative population?  As I recall, Operation Warp Speed implemented by the prior, infallible POTUS, fast-tracked vaccine development and distribution.

I would place the blame mostly on the politicization of things by the media. Though there is also the general underlying bristling at being told what to do by government officials that aren’t on their team. 

With regards to Op Warp Speed, had the election gone the other way, I suspect we would have seen a far more mixed bag of reactions. Like some lefties being suspicious of the “Trump vaccine” and then conservatives spouting rhetoric about getting the jab similar to what gets thrown around about folks resisting the police when there is a questionable shooting and being friendlier to the idea of vaccine mandates. 

Of course I’m just a dumb trucker with too much time to think. What do I know?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Lots of truth here

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

It’s come as a surprise to a lot of folks, but when you hear conventional wisdom on people of color getting the vaccine, you need to see the actual data.

There’s a lot that many of us assumed was going to happen that largely hasn’t. I am very close to a sister congregation that is predominantly black.  I was having lunch with one of their leaders back in January and he asked me how many folks in our congregation would get vaccinated.  I told him roughly 100%. I posed the same question to him,  and he shook his head and said it was going to be a real uphill battle.  He said that he might be the only person who wasn’t in an assisted living facility to get it.  Family memories of stuff  like Tuskegee makes it hard.

We had lunch back at the end of May, and he me told with tears in his eyes that over 60% had gotten it so far.

Here in Nashville, and largely nationwide, people of color have taken advantage of the opportunity to get the vaccine at a higher rate than was expected.

It was expressed to me that, “as a group, our outcomes from the disease are generally worse than other groups.”

I wonder if recognition of that is driving a lot?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

May be the perceived overreaction to the whole thing. And when Trump was running the show, NONE of the Democrats where willing to take it, including the geezer in chief.

I agree 100% with Desantis on how this whole thing should have been handled. Focus on the people that are at risk, and STOP destroying the whole economy. Now, MY media hasn't been telling me that he's an idiot. Other media has.

Sure it's been driven by politics because... our politicians and media are totally unethical, and WE are stupid enough to let them do it.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Of course I’m just a dumb trucker with too much time to think. What do I know?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Well, you were once a highly educated manager for Walgreens. Granted, you sizzled a meth head's nuts on the hot pavement in the parking lot, the WALGREENS parking lot at that. But, just a dumb trucker? I think not. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Admin Team
4 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Well, you were once a highly educated manager for Walgreens. Granted, you sizzled a meth head's nuts on the hot pavement in the parking lot, the WALGREENS parking lot at that. But, just a dumb trucker? I think not. 🙂 

All these years later, this still brings me so much joy.

Don’t go bitin’ @Chucktshoes and just expect to walk out of there…

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Administrator

Hopefully people are listening to their doctors and not the media, politicians, or the Internet.  My doctor told me to wait because I've had the real deal.  He also told me to get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine if/when I decide to participate in this ridiculously unprecedented clinical trial.

What blows my mind is the staggering amount of "Vaccine Shaming" that is wrapped around this whole issue.  Even if I ever do decide to get vaccinated against COVID-19, I'll probably take it to my grave as a secret.  And hopefully that'll be a long time after the vaccination and from reasons completely unrelated to the vaccine.

This issue isn't just politicized, it's been "socialized" to the point where an alarming percentage of people actually want the government to force their fellow citizens to undergo medical treatment.  FORCE.

And here we are participating in an Internet community centered upon the one Constitutional amendment that was designed to keep the government... a government... any government... from doing that sort of thing to you.

Weird.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, mikegideon said:

There are a few good reasons for not getting it. 

Ok, I’ll finally admit it.  The real reason I haven’t gotten the shot is that somebody with marksmanship skills is gonna have to stick around to shoot all the suckers in the head in a year or two.  

• Haha 4
10 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Ok, I’ll finally admit it.  The real reason I haven’t gotten the shot is that somebody with marksmanship skills is gonna have to stick around to shoot all the suckers in the head in a year or two.  

Never crossed my mind... promise.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Yep, pretty messed up. Imagine going to sign up to be an awesome fighter pilot and they instead put you into a syphilis study. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Our government at its absolute worst.

Man, here’s the problem. As horrendous as that was, I’m not convinced it was the worst. There’s way too many things vying for that crown. 

That’s not saying one should be as cynical as me and view it as mostly irredeemable. I’m just saying never stop fighting to make it better for EVERYONE. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, TGO David said:

What blows my mind is the staggering amount of "Vaccine Shaming" that is wrapped around this whole issue. 

This issue isn't just politicized, it's been "socialized" to the point where an alarming percentage of people actually want the government to force their fellow citizens to undergo medical treatment.  FORCE.

And here we are participating in an Internet community centered upon the one Constitutional amendment that was designed to keep the government... a government... any government... from doing that sort of thing to you.

Weird.

Ding ding ding ding winner.  

14 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Like some lefties being suspicious of the “Trump vaccine”

That isn't conjecture, it happened fairly frequently before the election. As if Trump went to the lab to develop the thing.