SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

12 hours ago, TGO David said:

What blows my mind is the staggering amount of "Vaccine Shaming" that is wrapped around this whole issue.

Both sides are doing this. I have received unsolicited text messages from friends and family telling me why I shouldn't get the dangerous vaccine. They included links to videos of unknown doctors telling about the "risks". In my life the folks that won't get it have been FAR more vocal about it.  As soon as my mom called it poison it became clear she wasn't going to get it and I never mentioned it again. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Vaccine hesitancy is a known phenomenon in the black community that is based on long history of documented malefaction by government health officials. For anyone wondering why that is, I got two words for you, “Tuskegee Experiment”.

None of the black people I’ve talked to mentioned mistrust of government or hinted at Tuskegee.  They all said basically the same thing I do—it hasn’t been around very long and I’m gonna let others be the lab rats.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Both sides are doing this. I have received unsolicited text messages from friends and family telling me why I shouldn't get the dangerous vaccine. They included links to videos of unknown doctors telling about the "risks". In my life the folks that won't get it have been FAR more vocal about it.  As soon as my mom called it poison it became clear she wasn't going to get it and I never mentioned it again. 

I wouldn’t doubt any of this, but not getting the shot can have drastically worse social consequences than getting it.  No one has lost their job or their scholarship or their money spent on a cruise ship ticket because they got the shot.  We can’t say the opposite.  

• Like 4

I feel as I'm the only one, or one of very few, that appreciates this virus for what it is... A COLD VIRUS.... for which I have the cure... TURN OFF THE TV!!!   It sure isn't a chemical injection that potentially causes death or serious illness in some individuals to hopefully prevent the sniffles and cold/flu symptoms...

Remember folks.. exposure doesn't equal infection, and infection doesn't equal illness....  people do get sick... from this and all sorts of ailments, daily... no way to stop that... but as soon as we all quit giving this thing the headspace the govt and media so desire the quicker it becomes a non-event.. IMHO.... 

Love to hear thoughts..... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

One thing that should be worrisome; it's summer and we're still tracking enough cases to be worth analyzing.  People can spend time outdoors with fresh air, sunlight, and all the other things we generally associate with reducing the risk of a virus, but COVID-19 seems to find a way, though.

This thing isn't over, and we still need to worry about how it can impact resources domestically...hopefully not in the same way we were worried a year ago.  As MacGyver points out, overseas is a different story, and I hope we remember the risks associated with the just-in-time supply chain model we're dependent on from outside our borders.

Vaccine wise, I got both doses and I'm glad I did.  Now if it hits me, it should (statistically speaking), be equivalent to a rough cold and not a possible mortality risk.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not out looking to catch it now for the experience...I just enjoy that protection and hope as many as possible join the shield wall it provides.  It's nice to go to a restaurant, the grocery store, and have meetings in person without a mask.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, btq96r said:

One thing that should be worrisome; it's summer and we're still tracking enough cases to be worth analyzing.  People can spend time outdoors with fresh air, sunlight, and all the other things we generally associate with reducing the risk of a virus, but COVID-19 seems to find a way, though.

This thing isn't over, and we still need to worry about how it can impact resources domestically...hopefully not in the same way we were worried a year ago.  As MacGyver points out, overseas is a different story, and I hope we remember the risks associated with the just-in-time supply chain model we're dependent on from outside our borders.

Vaccine wise, I got both doses and I'm glad I did.  Now if it hits me, it should (statistically speaking), be equivalent to a rough cold and not a possible mortality risk.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not out looking to catch it now for the experience...I just enjoy that protection and hope as many as possible join the shield wall it provides.  It's nice to go to a restaurant, the grocery store, and have meetings in person without a mask.

I agree.  It's nice to be normal again. 

3 hours ago, btq96r said:

I've had both doses too, but I still use hand sanitizer to lessen my chances of picking up some rug-rat's cold.

• Admin Team

Looks like Phil Valentine has been hospitalized with COVID:

https://www.scoopnashville.com/2021/07/talk-radios-phil-valentine-hospitalized-with-covid-19/

I hope he’ll make a full recovery.

I saw somewhere yesterday that state Representative David Byrd is still in the hospital after having to undergo a liver transplant due to complications from COVID. He missed the whole session last year due the same. 

47 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Looks like Phil Valentine has been hospitalized with COVID:

https://www.scoopnashville.com/2021/07/talk-radios-phil-valentine-hospitalized-with-covid-19/

I hope he’ll make a full recovery.

I saw somewhere yesterday that state Representative David Byrd is still in the hospital after having to undergo a liver transplant due to complications from COVID. He missed the whole session last year due the same. 

Phil announced he had it on the 13th. I hope he makes a full recovery too. He probably should have taken the vaccine. But, I wouldn't tell him that. Phil can argue better than most folks.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Phil can argue better than most folks.

Everybody has a valid "argument". But that doesn't change the fact that hospitals pre-vaccine were overrun with Covid patients who all of a sudden couldn't breathe so well and etc. How many folks with other ailments who croaked simply due to the previous norms for care being impaired we'll never know.

The fact that it's happening again in the US, where anyone can get the ouchie on a moment's notice, just reinforces my glass half empty view of the species, or at least the Murican subspecies in this case.

Hell, at least half the world can't even get the vax at all.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
spell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

It's very rare for me to come to the defense of Memphis but in this case it's better to have had it and not use it than the other way around.

As long as it's somebody else's money being wasted.  

My point was that the sky didn't fall like we were told it would.  We didn't use the extra hospitals built or ships designated for covid.  2.2 million didn't die and everybody in America didn't lose somebody they break bread with, as Fauci predicted.  

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

You know things are starting to get real when even DeSantis is telling folks to get the vaccine. My family in Florida thinks he's great so it will be interesting to see if this changes their minds. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/564249-desantis-urges-public-to-get-vaccinated-these-shots-are-saving-lives

He is great. Do yourself a favor and read his bio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_DeSantis

17 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Everybody has a valid "argument". But that doesn't change the fact that hospitals pre-vaccine were overrun with Covid patients who all of a sudden couldn't breathe so well and etc. How many folks with other ailments who croaked simply due to the previous norms for care being impaired we'll never know.

The fact that it's happening again in the US, where anyone can get the ouchie on a moment's notice, just reinforces my glass half empty view of the species, or at least the Murican subspecies in this case.

Hell, at least half the world can't even get the vax at all.

- OS

Don't get me wrong. I think Phil is a knothead on this one. I hope he lives through it. He was in great shape the last time I saw him. It has been a few years.

But I also know that politicians and the media are gonna milk this Delta thing for all it's worth. And yeah, we are swimming in idiots.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

DMui0fH.jpg

Hmmmm…bout what I figured.  By comparison, CDC estimates 434 flu deaths for the same age group for the 19-20 flu season, which is a fraction of the time period for the covid number.  Also, covid apparently cured flu.  A pragmatist might argue that covid was good for kids.  Whatever the case, freaking over covid child deaths and promoting school closures and more restrictions seem a bit misguided.  

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2019-2020.html

Edited by deerslayer
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2021/7/19/431508/Whitfield-County-Deputy-s-5-Year-Old.aspx

I guess 99% survival doesn’t work out too well for everyone involved? Or is it just a common cold or only a disease that affects really old people I guess?

I know it's a hard pill for folks to swallow, but there's not a single one of us who is going to make it out of here alive.  We've all got a date with the Grim Reaper.  It sucks that for some folks he comes as a virus, but there are a million other ways people die every day too and a lot of them have better forms of prevention than what we have for COVID-19.

A person should seriously just listen to their doctor, analyze the risks, factor in their own risk profile, and make their own decision.

I really hope the bleeding hearts don't hassle me the next time I have a cheeseburger or a glass of bourbon, or inhale some gun smoke.  None of those things are good for you either, but I'm taking my chances.  "Every man dies, but not every man really lives."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I know it's a hard pill for folks to swallow, but there's not a single one of us who is going to make it out of here alive.  We've all got a date with the Grim Reaper.  It sucks that for some folks he comes as a virus, but there are a million other ways people die every day too and a lot of them have better forms of prevention than what we have for COVID-19.

A person should seriously just listen to their doctor, analyze the risks, factor in their own risk profile, and make their own decision.

I really hope the bleeding hearts don't hassle me the next time I have a cheeseburger or a glass of bourbon, or inhale some gun smoke.  None of those things are good for you either, but I'm taking my chances.  "Every man dies, but not every man really lives."

spacer.png

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, TGO David said:

factor in their own risk profile, and make their own decision.

I fear the nanny state won’t let us.

42 minutes ago, TGO David said:

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives."

I am going to use this in the near future.