SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

I'd give it little credence. That "info" is 6 months old for one thing. The other thing is that site is one of a bunch registered all about the same time, most if not all of which never went live. Looks to me like an attempt to hawk "health" related products that never got off the ground.

Personal registration info hidden, but since most of the content is in Spanish, well, whatever...

- OS

Thank you, sir. All I want is the truth. I never dreamed it would be so hard to find.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Thank you, sir. All I want is the truth. I never dreamed it would be so hard to find.

Truth... people will do some evil things to enrich themselves financially or politically. Lying is just the tip of the iceberg. The job gets much easier when you identify 80 million idiots. 🙂 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Truth... people will do some evil things to enrich themselves financially or politically. Lying is just the tip of the iceberg. The job gets much easier when you identify 80 million idiots. 🙂 

80,000,000 and counting.

I've recently gone through a couple career changes (10, 5, and 1 year plans are all shot to hell).

I've wondered why for quite a while. While not overly religious, I am somewhat fatalistic. Where I am drawing my paycheck now I think I am at for a reason. 

I think what is going on in the world right now is larger than any of us individually, but it is the action of individuals that create a movement. There is a movement pushing back against a lot of the changes we are talking about. Choose wisely which side you wish to be on. I don't think there is room on this earth for both. Evidence thus far indicates a binary outcome is desireable by both sides, so thats what they're going to get.

• Like 1
On 8/5/2021 at 2:35 PM, Erik88 said:

I've long since given up on expecting my employers to be righteous. The corporation I work for met or beat most of our financial goals for 2020 and they still decided to lay off a bunch of people earlier this year, just because. I'm not surprised to hear companies are doing this. 

Ha!  We may work for the same company.  

15 hours ago, Garufa said:

Not hard to do out of a population of 330 million+ that believes everything they’re fed.

I don't know one person that believes everything they're fed. I'm sure a few exist. I believe very little of the noise these days. We rely on liars to run our country. A huge percentage of the population knows it. Where are these 330 million you speak of?

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

You’ve posted that several times. Would you be so kind as to explain that statement to a dimwit like me? I’ve out some thought in it, and don’t really get it.

You are not alone. I was going to ask that myself, but you beat me to it.

• Admin Team
9 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You’ve posted that several times. Would you be so kind as to explain that statement to a dimwit like me? I’ve out some thought in it, and don’t really get it.

It’s essentially this.  America has really never been homogeneous. But, with 330 million+ people we’re made up of a ton of different people groups - different races, ethnicities, urban folks, rural folks, different socioeconomic backgrounds. America is more of a melting pot today than it’s ever been.

And when you get elected - regardless of the rhetoric that got you elected - now you work for everybody.  And all of those different constituencies can make your job easier or harder in a way that’s different than you experienced on the campaign trail - and no one can prepare you for that.

Then there’s the fact that you’re really constrained when you’re in office - both by the incredibly finite time that is 4 years - and by the decisions that have been made before you got here.  Let’s take those two separately.

First, time. You get 1461 days.  That’s seems like a long time - but it’s not. Our last administration really didn’t understand how short of a time 4 years is.  You behave differently when you know the end is near.

But the second is really constraining - in that you’re bound by the decisions of the past.  Take the debt limit talks were currently in.  As much political theater as we turn these talks into every couple years - they have exactly zero bearing on our future legislation or actions.  Raising the debt limit is all about servicing the debt associated with decisions of Congresses past   Raising the debt limit isn’t about continued spending - it’s about whether or not we as a country want to pay our credit card bill.  That’s not an apples to apples analogy - because the government budget isn’t actually like a family budget - but the comparison holds here.

Then there’s the fact that our Congress is almost completely unwilling and is increasingly incapable of doing anything of consequence. Add to that our zero sum politics (that is for something to be good for me it must necessarily be bad for you) and it’s really hard to get much done. Take for example Representative Madison Cawthorn. For the current Congress he doesn’t have a single legislative staff member - choosing instead to “focus on messaging.” This might be great if you like seeing him “stick it to the libs” on NewsMax, but it doesn’t do much for folks in his district.

So, take a dysfunctional Congress, and it doesn’t matter what your ambitions are when you take office.  It really doesn’t matter what you campaigned on.  You’re more or less constrained to managing a system that’s already in motion.  Really smart politicians realize early that they maybe get one initiative of any substance that they’ll have the political capital to swing at.  Sure you can do some stuff by executive order - but Trump spent his term undoing Obama’s EO’s and Biden has already more or less undone Trump’s.

Add in budget realities and the percentages that are captured by military  and social programs - and there’s not much room to maneuver.

I’m willing to extend everyone the courtesy of assuming the best of intentions - but managing this show is tough at best. When you add in our Federalist system of a bunch of little states with differing goals and perspectives - it really is more like an empire than a single homogeneous entity.

I could go on at length - but  “empire is hard” rounds to true. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

It’s essentially this.  America has really never been homogeneous. But, with 330 million+ people we’re made up of a ton of different people groups - different races, ethnicities, urban folks, rural folks, different socioeconomic backgrounds. America is more of a melting pot today than it’s ever been.

And when you get elected - regardless of the rhetoric that got you elected - now you work for everybody.  And all of those different constituencies can make your job easier or harder in a way that’s different than you experienced on the campaign trail - and no one can prepare you for that.

Then there’s the fact that you’re really constrained when you’re in office - both by the incredibly finite time that is 4 years - and by the decisions that have been made before you got here.  Let’s take those two separately.

First, time. You get 1461 days.  That’s seems like a long time - but it’s not. Our last administration really didn’t understand how short of a time 4 years is.  You behave differently when you know the end is near.

But the second is really constraining - in that you’re bound by the decisions of the past.  Take the debt limit talks were currently in.  As much political theater as we turn these talks into every couple years - they have exactly zero bearing on our future legislation or actions.  Raising the debt limit is all about servicing the debt associated with decisions of Congresses past   Raising the debt limit isn’t about continued spending - it’s about whether or not we as a country want to pay our credit card bill.  That’s not an apples to apples analogy - because the government budget isn’t actually like a family budget - but the comparison holds here.

Then there’s the fact that our Congress is almost completely unwilling and is increasingly incapable of doing anything of consequence. Add to that out zero sum politics (that is for something to be good for me it must necessarily be bad for you) and it’s really hard to get much done. Take for example Representatives  Madison Cawthorn. For the current Congress he doesn’t have a single legislative staff member - choosing instead to focus on messaging. This might be great if you like seeing him “stick it to the libs” on NewsMax, but it doesn’t do much for folks in his district.

So, take a dysfunctional Congress, and it doesn’t matter what your ambitions are when you take office.  It really doesn’t matter what you campaigned on.  You’re more or less constrained to managing a system that’s already in motion.  Really smart politicians realize early that they maybe get one initiative of any substance that they’ll have the political capital to swing at.  Sure you can do some stuff by executive order - but Trump spent his term undoing Obama’s EO’s and Biden has already more or less undone Trump’s.

Add in budget realities and the percentages that are captured by military  and social programs - and there’s not much room to maneuver.

I’m willing to extend everyone the courtesy of assuming the best of intentions - but managing this show tough at best. When you add in our Federalist system of a bunch of little states with differing goals and perspectives - it really is more like an empire than a single homogeneous entity.

Empire needs a mass firing. All they accomplish is their own personal wealth. Maybe if you start with a bunch of first term folks, they will accomplish a little of the peoples' work.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Here we go again !!!  panic-1.gif

Dr. Anthony Fauci has warned that allowing the coronavirus delta variant to circulate freely among unvaccinated individuals could lead to a more potent variant that could harm even vaccinated individuals. 

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fauci-virus-replicate-worse-variant-impact-vaccinated

Viruses thrive in willing hosts.

23 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Here we go again !!!  panic-1.gif

Dr. Anthony Fauci has warned that allowing the coronavirus delta variant to circulate freely among unvaccinated individuals could lead to a more potent variant that could harm even vaccinated individuals. 

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fauci-virus-replicate-worse-variant-impact-vaccinated

He's at least getting more careful with his rhetoric. Why, I can remember when he said 2 weeks was gonna kick it's ass.

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Then there’s the fact that our Congress is almost completely unwilling and is increasingly incapable of doing anything of consequence. Add to that out zero sum politics (that is for something to be good for me it must necessarily be bad for you) and it’s really hard to get much done. Take for example Representatives  Madison Cawthorn. For the current Congress he doesn’t have a single legislative staff member - choosing instead to “focus on messaging.” This might be great if you like seeing him “stick it to the libs” on NewsMax, but it doesn’t do much for folks in his district.

I’m willing to extend everyone the courtesy of assuming the best of intentions - but managing this show tough at best. When you add in our Federalist system of a bunch of little states with differing goals and perspectives - it really is more like an empire than a single homogeneous entity.

Much of this is irrelevant for a pragmatic voter.  I sometimes fall into the category of the voter who is not as concerned about my politician "getting something done" as I am about "not allowing more crap to get done."  Gridlock and do-nothing Congresses are not always a bad thing. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

I didn't see or hear fauchi warn about this superspreader event.

Remember, watch what they do, don't listen to what they say.

‘Not a Mask in Sight’: Celebs are Pouring Into Martha’s Vinyard for Obama’s Massive 60th Birthday Bash - Libertas Writers

We've seen this over and over.  "Rules for thee, not for me."  Between events like this and ignoring the border, it's hard to take these people seriously.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1