SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

Basically, they have this China Virus figured out as "scientifically perfect" as they have the common flu. The vaccines for flu that are hit or miss, are just like the dang Covid vaccines. Excited Pumped Up GIF by Lil Jon

So. The flu mutates.  Frequently.  COVID-19 has also been mutating (delta variant or mutation if you will) The current crop of vaccines are still found to be effective against covid.  This is why it is important for as many people to be vaccinated as possible as quickly as possible.  The more people covid spreads to the more chance it has to mutate.  Are you really this stupid?  Do you work at it?  

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So. The flu mutates.  Frequently.  COVID-19 has also been mutating (delta variant or mutation if you will) The current crop of vaccines are still found to be effective against covid.  This is why it is important for as many people to be vaccinated as possible as quickly as possible.  The more people covid spreads to the more chance it has to mutate.  Are you really this stupid?  Do you work at it?  

Now, now, keep it civil.  So, if the CCP shot takes care of the flu, why still need the flu shot?  Why are they now studying the combined flu/ccp shot if one can do both? 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Admin Team
7 hours ago, Omega said:

Now, now, keep it civil.  So, if the CCP shot takes care of the flu, why still need the flu shot?  Why are they now studying the combined flu/ccp shot if one can do both? 

The seasonal flu and SARS-2-CoV are completely different viruses.  The vaccine for one will not affect the other.  They’re studying whether they can combine vaccines into one shot - like the MMR or the Tdap vaccine. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think the flu may very well mutate. Every season is slightly different, kind of like this damn China Virus . New strains, all new and improved, to mess everybody's life up. Yeah, I do work at it. Do you?

9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

The seasonal flu and SARS-2-CoV are completely different viruses.  The vaccine for one will not affect the other.  They’re studying whether they can combine vaccines into one shot - like the MMR or the Tdap vaccine. 

But, but, @Danielsaid the things we were doing for the CCP virus took out the flu???? 🙄

• Haha 1
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That isnt what I said.  I said that the same precautions against getting covid also help against catching the flu.

And also said that the Flu is not as contagious as this particular Coronavirus.

https://www.healthline.com/health/r-naught-reproduction-number

COVID ~ 5.7

Flu ~1-2.0

COVID ~3x more contagious

Doing things such as social distancing and wearing masks will prevent the spread of an illness. The less contagious something is, the more effective those means will be. The more contagious a virus is, the more it will "succeed".

Simple example that should be simple enough for everyone to understand.

Imagine you have a virus called "one" and a virus called "ten". "One" will live on a surface and die after a single day. "Ten" will live on a surface and die after ten days. Which one is harder to eradicate? Which one will be "stronger" against measures such as cleaning, wearing masks, social distancing, etc?

• Like 4
11 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

And also said that the Flu is not as contagious as this particular Coronavirus.

https://www.healthline.com/health/r-naught-reproduction-number

COVID ~ 5.7

Flu ~1-2.0

COVID ~3x more contagious

Doing things such as social distancing and wearing masks will prevent the spread of an illness. The less contagious something is, the more effective those means will be. The more contagious a virus is, the more it will "succeed".

Simple example that should be simple enough for everyone to understand.

Imagine you have a virus called "one" and a virus called "ten". "One" will live on a surface and die after a single day. "Ten" will live on a surface and die after ten days. Which one is harder to eradicate? Which one will be "stronger" against measures such as cleaning, wearing masks, social distancing, etc?

Not sure a mask makes much difference.  Maybe a N95 fitted properly would. Cloth mask are of no use at all, surgical mask may help with a cough or sneeze but it just redirects more than anything.  The docs my wife works for say a mask may help 20%.  Less if not worn properly.   They also seem to need adjusted a lot while wearing so one tends to have their hands around their face a lot more.  Most of the people i know that have gotten 19 wore a mask and got it from a mask wearer.  The sickest guy I know that lived got it from his wife that worked in a med office, she got it from a PA there, all wore mask.  I saw a report the the 6 feet social distancing was a arbitrary number not based on any science. So not sure how far away from people one needs to stay.  Wash your hands a lot and protect our lungs.  We have a nebulizer for the lungs. 

• Like 2
On 9/23/2021 at 8:49 PM, Erik88 said:

Especially this. Glad he got it from a doctor and not Tractor Supply. 

He's not one of them. I REALLY wish you could insult him in person though.

His reason for skipping the vaccine was that he honestly believed he already had it a year ago. His temp was normal yesterday, so that could really be the case. He's a driver for what was UPS Freight. He was face to face with folks since this started. Several of their drivers got it.

Edited by mikegideon
34 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

He's not one of them. I REALLY wish you could insult him in person though.

I didn't insult your brother. You're the one that felt the need to drag me back into the ivermectin debate. I already wrote I don't care if people get it prescribed. My issue was with the people who are overdosing on the animal version from T.S. I'm all for it now though. For years I've watched internet hard asses write about natural selection. We're witnessing it. The election was stolen, Wu-FLu is a hoax, Ivermectin made for livestock is safe. #### yeah! Let's do this! 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

Here's some good ol' right wing, non CDC - NIH - State Science Institute propaganda.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/09/guardians-covid-crib-sheet-presents-facts/

Also read where the VAERS reporting is perhaps not up to date.

Considering I have two family members with odd medical conditions coincidentally tied to supposed vax side effects, should I be ok with, "some folks just have bad reactions?" 

It's for the public good, but who gets to define the public and what is good?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Erik88 said:

For years I've watched internet hard asses write about natural selection. We're witnessing it. The election was stolen, Wu-FLu is a hoax, Ivermectin made for livestock is safe. #### yeah! Let's do this! 

Now you're talking. We need to outlaw narcan and legalize fentanyl.

Edited by Alleycat72
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, 45guy said:

Not sure a mask makes much difference.  Maybe a N95 fitted properly would. Cloth mask are of no use at all, surgical mask may help with a cough or sneeze but it just redirects more than anything.  The docs my wife works for say a mask may help 20%.  Less if not worn properly.   They also seem to need adjusted a lot while wearing so one tends to have their hands around their face a lot more.  Most of the people i know that have gotten 19 wore a mask and got it from a mask wearer.  The sickest guy I know that lived got it from his wife that worked in a med office, she got it from a PA there, all wore mask.  I saw a report the the 6 feet social distancing was a arbitrary number not based on any science. So not sure how far away from people one needs to stay.  Wash your hands a lot and protect our lungs.  We have a nebulizer for the lungs. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/health/schools-mask-mandate-outbreaks-cdc.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/masks-protect-schoolkids-from-covid-despite-what-antiscience-politicians-claim/

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23744731.2021.1944665

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/effective-masks.html

https://abcsciencecollaborative.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/ABC_year-in-review_29jun2021-final.pdf

' Collected data from more than a million K–12 students and staff members in North Carolina, which mandated masking in schools from August 2020 until July 2021. The scientists reported little in-school transmission over the fall, winter or summer months. Incidents remained low even as, in communities outside the schools, levels of COVID cases fluctuated and mitigation strategies shifted. “The presence of masking in schools seems to be the unifying theme across all of those periods,” says Ibukun Kalu, a member of the group and medical director of pediatric infection prevention at Duke University. “When we look at cases that have masking in place—so masking students, staff, everyone that’s within that K–12 setting—we see rates of within-school spread as low as one percent.” '

In schools in other states where masks were not used consistently, such as in Georgia and Florida, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported on a number of COVID outbreaks during both 2020 and 2021. This past spring in California, an unvaccinated elementary school teacher who removed a mask several times to read to students triggered an outbreak of the highly transmissible Delta variant, according to another CDC study. A total of 26 people were infected, including 12 of the 24 students in the teacher’s class, a frightening rate of 50 percent. The infections spread elsewhere in the building to six students in a separate grade and moved beyond the school to infect eight family members of the affected students. The viral genomes in the infected people were either identical or very similar to the virus analyzed from the teacher, indicating that individual was the source. The outbreak occurred despite people following physical distancing guidelines, using high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters in the classrooms, and leaving the doors and windows open for ventilation.

Masks, combined with other prevention efforts, reduce the risk that students may bring home the virus to parents or other relatives. This has been a big concern because adults are more likely to develop severe COVID. An online survey of 2.1 million Americans by researchers at Johns Hopkins University showed a 38 percent increased risk of COVID-related illness in households with a child attending school in person. That risk went down, however, as the number of school-based mitigation measures—such as mask mandates, daily symptom screening and canceled extracurricular activities—went up. When seven or more measures were in place, the increased risk disappeared. Experts have long advocated for an approach that relies on multiple added layers of protection—some to protect the individual and some to protect the collective—recognizing that no single intervention will be a magic bullet.

Studies done in wider communities beyond schools give the strongest real-world evidence that masks stop COVID’s spread. An international team of researchers conducted a randomized controlled trial involving nearly 350,000 people across 600 villages in rural Bangladesh. Half of the villages got free cloth or surgical masks and a promotional campaign encouraging their use. The other half did not. The researchers found that the intervention significantly curbed coronavirus transmission, especially in villages that received surgical masks. The findings appeared in early September in a preprint paper that is now being considered for publication by the journal Science.'

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/scientific-american

But who am I to show you evidence when you can just listen to "the docs my wife works for..."

• Like 2

Meanwhile yesterday, the first NCO I had at Ft. Campbell, James Ferebee, who became a middle school teacher in Clarksville after retiring, died after a week on a ventilator.  He was posting about taking his daughter to the range last month and in no time he was dead.  One of the strongest men I knew.  Did not fall into the trap of getting out and getting fat.  He was an awesome teacher, wonderful Tennessean, and a great Soldier.  

May be a Twitter screenshot of 3 people and text

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Meanwhile yesterday, the first NCO I had at Ft. Campbell, James Ferebee, who became a middle school teacher in Clarksville after retiring, died after a week on a ventilator.  He was posting about taking his daughter to the range last month and in no time he was dead.  One of the strongest men I knew.  Did not fall into the trap of getting out and getting fat.  He was an awesome teacher, wonderful Tennessean, and a great Soldier.  

May be a Twitter screenshot of 3 people and text

I'm sorry for your loss and praying for his family and students.

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/health/schools-mask-mandate-outbreaks-cdc.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/masks-protect-schoolkids-from-covid-despite-what-antiscience-politicians-claim/

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23744731.2021.1944665

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/effective-masks.html

https://abcsciencecollaborative.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/ABC_year-in-review_29jun2021-final.pdf

' Collected data from more than a million K–12 students and staff members in North Carolina, which mandated masking in schools from August 2020 until July 2021. The scientists reported little in-school transmission over the fall, winter or summer months. Incidents remained low even as, in communities outside the schools, levels of COVID cases fluctuated and mitigation strategies shifted. “The presence of masking in schools seems to be the unifying theme across all of those periods,” says Ibukun Kalu, a member of the group and medical director of pediatric infection prevention at Duke University. “When we look at cases that have masking in place—so masking students, staff, everyone that’s within that K–12 setting—we see rates of within-school spread as low as one percent.” '

In schools in other states where masks were not used consistently, such as in Georgia and Florida, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported on a number of COVID outbreaks during both 2020 and 2021. This past spring in California, an unvaccinated elementary school teacher who removed a mask several times to read to students triggered an outbreak of the highly transmissible Delta variant, according to another CDC study. A total of 26 people were infected, including 12 of the 24 students in the teacher’s class, a frightening rate of 50 percent. The infections spread elsewhere in the building to six students in a separate grade and moved beyond the school to infect eight family members of the affected students. The viral genomes in the infected people were either identical or very similar to the virus analyzed from the teacher, indicating that individual was the source. The outbreak occurred despite people following physical distancing guidelines, using high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters in the classrooms, and leaving the doors and windows open for ventilation.

Masks, combined with other prevention efforts, reduce the risk that students may bring home the virus to parents or other relatives. This has been a big concern because adults are more likely to develop severe COVID. An online survey of 2.1 million Americans by researchers at Johns Hopkins University showed a 38 percent increased risk of COVID-related illness in households with a child attending school in person. That risk went down, however, as the number of school-based mitigation measures—such as mask mandates, daily symptom screening and canceled extracurricular activities—went up. When seven or more measures were in place, the increased risk disappeared. Experts have long advocated for an approach that relies on multiple added layers of protection—some to protect the individual and some to protect the collective—recognizing that no single intervention will be a magic bullet.

Studies done in wider communities beyond schools give the strongest real-world evidence that masks stop COVID’s spread. An international team of researchers conducted a randomized controlled trial involving nearly 350,000 people across 600 villages in rural Bangladesh. Half of the villages got free cloth or surgical masks and a promotional campaign encouraging their use. The other half did not. The researchers found that the intervention significantly curbed coronavirus transmission, especially in villages that received surgical masks. The findings appeared in early September in a preprint paper that is now being considered for publication by the journal Science.'

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/scientific-american

But who am I to show you evidence when you can just listen to "the docs my wife works for..."

https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/masks-dont-work-covid-a-review-of-science-relevant-to-covide-19-social-policy

I guess you can make studies show whatever you want them to.  You think they help go for it.  

• Haha 1