SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

5 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Its a bad flu that nicks old people. Thats what the stats say when you find them.

What's old? Shall we just use 65, official gummit geezer age? About 20% of deaths have been from folks younger than that.

Heck, that's only 60,000 of us.

- OS

• Like 1
On 12/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, Moped said:

Today, new cases were not significantly down.  There were 377 new cases and 7 more deaths, raising the total to 179 dead.  Possibly even more alarming is the number of ICU beds available. Total capacity is 284 ICU beds and as of this morning, there are only 8 available. Total Adult beds/Non ICU that could be used for COVID patients is 1,861.  Currently 1,734 beds are occupied (by all types of patients), leaving 127 for additional paitents (COVID related or otherwise). There are 3,049 beds in the system, but 1,315 beds cannot be occupied by COVID patients.

If you remember at the beginning of this mess, the Federal Government came in and evaluated places were "field hospitals" could be set up, in the event of a surge. Should that event occur, all hospital beds could be boosted to 4,389.  ICU Beds could be increased to 543 and ventalitors could be increased from 245 to 374.  Currently only 96 ventilators are being used.

The Knox County Board of Health uses 5 benchmarks to make decisions on how to react to COVID.  Right now, all five Benchmarks are in the RED.  This is the first time I've seen that. Could this be the beginning of the healthcare system being overwhelmed in Knox County?

Source: https://covid.knoxcountytn.gov/case-count.html

Since I last posted the COVID Numbers as reported by Knox County on 12/02/2020, there have been 2,951 positive tests, and 29 deaths.

10 hours ago, jgradyc said:

First, thanks to AuEagle for posting on Ivermectin. I wonder why it hasn't gotten more publicity. I'm usually on top of all COVID 19 treatments and I had never heard of it. 

I'm not taking a position on the freedom vs masks debate. I'm just posting this to say masking works. The CDC puts out a weekly influenza surveillance report. Comparing this year's flu cases to last year's is eye-popping.

Last year through week 48 (Nov30), 227,629 flu tests were done with 10,326 positives.

This year through week 48, 140,863 influenza tests were done with 84 positives. 

That's a 99.2% decrease based on positive cases. 

It's equally obvious that masking isn't stopping the spread of this disease. We need to be doing more... hence, vaccines, but they are also problematic, in my opinion.

Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines use the mRNA approach, which shows promise, but has never been used for a vaccine. That's also scary. What are the long term effects a year or two down the road? More immediately, how will it interact with the flu vaccine? Most people get their flu shots in Oct-Dec, but the vaccine tests were done in the summer long after those volunteers took their flu vaccines. 

If I could stockpile human grade Ivermectin for my family, I would do so. Same with hydroxychloroquine. 

But I can take vitamin D3... 63 FDA-approved clinical trials on vitamin D are underway, which is impressive considering that it's natural and can't be sold for outrageous profits by Big Pharma. 

Specifically, I take 5,000 IU of vitamin D3, plus C, B12, K2, a multivitamin, zinc, magnesium, and melatonin every day. I also take another dozen or so supplements. As we age, our cells lose the ability to work efficiently. Supplements improve cellular efficiency, but equally important, they insure that the cells have an abundance of raw materials to work with. 

My sister and her husband are in several high risk categories... over 70, overweight, multiple pre-existing medical conditions.  When she got COVID about three weeks ago, I next day shipped vitamin D3+K2 and zinc to her.  She's recovering. Did those supplements make a difference? I guess we will never know. I think i had COVIDS back in June. I had several symptoms but they lasted only a few hours. The severe shortness of breath lasted for 4 months! Did supplements help me? I think so. 

More on Ivermectin

The Silver Bear Cafe

12 hours ago, jgradyc said:

I'm not taking a position on the freedom vs masks debate. I'm just posting this to say masking works. The CDC puts out a weekly influenza surveillance report. Comparing this year's flu cases to last year's is eye-popping.

Last year through week 48 (Nov30), 227,629 flu tests were done with 10,326 positives.

This year through week 48, 140,863 influenza tests were done with 84 positives. 

That's a 99.2% decrease based on positive cases. 

What would account for a 99% reduction this year?   Note that it's not a 99% reduction in flu tests with a somewhat-similar positivity rate, as would logically accompany a reduction in flu illness.     The people are still getting tested (at over half the 2019 rate), so what do they have, that warranted getting tested?

Ignoring the 99x shift in the results data, it's also likely that flu cases are down because

1) Half the country (generally speaking) is working from home

2) Half the country's kids aren't in school, daycare, or play dates (sadly for the kids)

3) Much retail shopping has shifted from in person to curbside, home delivery, etc.

4) People are much more conscious about hygiene and germs.

5) Travel is down significantly (barring Thanksgiving) and air travel is down 85%

6) Various year over year variances

If masks do work, why do case counts increase the more masks are pushed?

How long is this mask debate going to go on?  Really, it’s beyond ridiculous.

All of a sudden everyone is an Internet epidemiologist who never really cared about their fellow humans to begin with, much less understand basic, common sense, grade school science.   

The confirmation bias of hearsay just continues to spread the virus.  

I hate this situation with a passion, but I’m not going to let personal arrogance get in the way of doing the right thing...and I am extremely independent and arrogant in many ways.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
46 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

That’s true. I start Monday with the real thing. I’ve been doing the homework they gave me yesterday and the block is about gone. It’s been getting tougher all evening.

42 minutes ago, BlessTheUSA said:

What would account for a 99% reduction this year?   Note that it's not a 99% reduction in flu tests with a somewhat-similar positivity rate, as would logically accompany a reduction in flu illness.     The people are still getting tested (at over half the 2019 rate), so what do they have, that warranted getting tested?

Ignoring the 99x shift in the results data, it's also likely that flu cases are down because

1) Half the country (generally speaking) is working from home

2) Half the country's kids aren't in school, daycare, or play dates (sadly for the kids)

3) Much retail shopping has shifted from in person to curbside, home delivery, etc.

4) People are much more conscious about hygiene and germs.

5) Travel is down significantly (barring Thanksgiving) and air travel is down 85%

6) Various year over year variances

If masks do work, why do case counts increase the more masks are pushed?

I guess  Covid just spontaneously occurs with no cause. Like flu, common colds, bubonic plague.....

• Like 1

Totally a guess on my part, but I'd think that when people show up really sick, they get tested for both flu and COVID. Some of those negative flu cases might have tested positive for COVID. I haven't seen any data published on that, but it wouldn't explain all of the decline in flu cases.  As I said, it's pretty obvious that masks and social distancing are working because of the decline in flu cases. By "working", I mean reducing the risk, not eliminating the risk. 

I hope the general public is as against vaccines as this forum is; then I might get it before next summer….if I live that long. I’m tired of this. I want to go out, I want to go to the range. But the risk is too high. I’m not going anywhere, but my wife is still working, and they are testing positive at her workplace a lot. So it’s just a matter of time. Time is not on my side.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I hope the general public is as against vaccines as this forum is; then I might get it before next summer….if I live that long. I’m tired of this. I want to go out, I want to go to the range. But the risk is too high. I’m not going anywhere, but my wife is still working, and they are testing positive at her workplace a lot. So it’s just a matter of time. Time is not on my side.

If you're so worried, get a temp job at an old folks home, they'll hook you right up.

The way I look at is is this; We were born with an expiration date, and if you believe in destiny, then a manner of death too, so why waste time worrying about it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Omega said:

The way I look at is is this; We were born with an expiration date, and if you believe in destiny, then a manner of death too, so why waste time worrying about it.

2 minutes ago, Big Gai Anti-Gun Communist said:

Go to the range (social distance, stay outside, whatever is needed to minimize your risk). Enjoy your life. Don't let fear destroy your happiness. Better to die standing doing what you love, than to live on your knees doing what you hate. 

Ha, ha, ha I remember when I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof. Ah… those were the days. Enjoy them while you can; they will be over before you know it. 🤣

Covid is real, I’m too old, and my IQ is too high to act silly…or reckless.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Ha, ha, ha I remember when I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof. Ah… those were the days. Enjoy them while you can; they will be over before you know it. 🤣

Covid is real, I’m too old, and my IQ is too high to act silly…or reckless.

Nah, 55yo, 69", 230lbs, survived 3 parachute mishaps, one broken plate, a couple UXO, and a few near misses.  I've learned from an early age that I was mortal, but besides hiding in a basement for the rest of my life (It would get me there too), there's very little I can do to prevent my demise. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid, like going around licking toilet lids, I do take basic precautions, but just don't believe those in power have my best interests in mind.  When those that place these restrictions in place start to follow their own guidelines, then, maybe, I'll begin to listen.

Edited by Omega
speeling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, jgradyc said:

As I said, it's pretty obvious that masks and social distancing are working because of the decline in flu cases. By "working", I mean reducing the risk, not eliminating the risk. 

I've yet to hear an explanation to actually support this... in the context of states that have draconian mask mandates and lockdowns preventing gatherings or trips outside of the house (CA, NY, etc.)... which are faring as poorly or much worse than states with essentially no limits on activities or gatherings.... e.g. FL.    

If people wanted real answers and solutions, they would discuss and seek to understand this... not tell you to cancel everything.  

9 minutes ago, BlessTheUSA said:

If people wanted real answers and solutions, they would discuss and seek to understand this... not tell you to cancel everything.  

Exactly! While I take precautions it doesn’t mean I think shutting everything down is okay. No one (most of the media) is talking about the kids that don’t know where their next meal is coming from, or the suicides, or the homicides, or the domestic violence, robberies, burglaries. We won’t get those numbers until the lockdowns are over…. and I suspect they will be staggering. Will anyone take responsibility? Of course not, Trump will be gone and they will blame it all on him. These azzhats that are shutting things down, destroying private business and hurting the economy will be judged harshly. Of course it won’t matter to them.

If you want to go out to a restaurant; you should be able to go. Kids should be in school. Stores should be open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was at Vanderbilt for an appointment Thursday. They asked if I had an appointment and if I had any COVID symptoms. I said yes and then no and they let me in. My GYM HAS STRICTER SCREENING. I have to have my temp scanned to get in my gym.  Oh well, I wore my serious mask and avoided humans as much as possible. I guess if they screened for temperature, they'd be turning away a lot of people who are sick with something else. 

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

You guys in Memphis keep your heads down.

image.png

And maybe stay off ladders and keep the chainsaws in the shed for the next few weeks, too. 

Do you have a source for this?

Disregard. Google settled the disagreement with my son.  

Edited by Links2k
14 hours ago, Big Gai Anti-Gun Communist said:

My wife is a Filipina ....... These actions are absurd, in the Philippines COVID cases continue to be very low. ...... We are supposed to have Constitutional rights that prevent that from happening here, but governors and local "health" officials don't seem to mind sacrificing our essential economic liberties to expand their powers and look like "life saving heroes".

In case no one has told you yet....

It ain't about your health.

The inconsistency you are observing is real, and belies the truth. We are each able to choose whether we accept what we are told, or what we observe. That ringing in your ears when you try, is called cognitive dissonance. Your brain already knows the truth, your consciousness is trying to decide if its better to just stick your head in the sand. The consequences of accepting the alternative _is_ a wee bit uncomfortable for some.

• Like 3

I've begun to embrace the mask.

Hat brim pulled down, mask high and tight and choice of dark sunglasses...

The new well dressed man.

I used it to announce, "stay away from me."

I don't want unknown people particularly close me, healthy or otherwise.

Social distancing should make it a little more obvious if a BG is trying to close distance.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

It comes from an internal document leaked to WREG. 

Thanks. That’s why he was doubting it’s validity. He said it looked like a poorly copied made up word document. I googled the story for him. He was in doubt because he said old people aren’t known for having the most trustful sources of news. 😂The story I found was two days old from News3. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
21 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Thanks. That’s why he was doubting it’s validity. He said it looked like a poorly copied made up word document. I googled the story for him. He was in doubt because he said old people aren’t known for having the most trustful sources of news. 😂The story I found was two days old from News3. 

I didn’t realize he posted here. 😂

• Haha 2