Jump to content

SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

The only people I know, including my own family, that won't get the shot, are conservative. But I agree it may not be a political reason for not getting it. Some folks made up their mind last year they weren't going to get it and nothing seems to be changing their mind. 

There are a few good reasons for not getting it. They just don't apply to folks my age IMO. If I was worried about the long term effects of something that is not FDA approved, and was in a low risk group (like you), it would be much tougher to pull the trigger. Got nothing to do with Trump vs that idiot. Plain old cost/benefit exercise.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

There are a few good reasons for not getting it.

Can't say I've seen any proof of this. My biggest issue with this entire thing is that most of the country never cared about their health before this yet they are suddenly concerned about a vaccine. We probably come into contact with a dozen carcinogens on a daily basis on top of all the other horrible habits we have. No one cares about that but they are concerned about unproven long term effects of a vaccine. It's almost laughable if it wasn't so ridiculous. 

Maybe I take back what I said before. A lot of people don't want the shot because liberal elites are telling them to get it. Fauci is the enemy. It is absolutely political for some. 

 

Edited by Erik88
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

The only people I know, including my own family, that won't get the shot, are conservative. But I agree it may not be a political reason for not getting it. Some folks made up their mind last year they weren't going to get it and nothing seems to be changing their mind. 

I read somewhere that only about 25% of black folks have been vaccinated. Do you you believe the other 75% are conservative?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

I think I would have asked him if the black folks that aren't vaccinated are racist.

Actually, that’s pretty much what he said. I’m certain it wasn’t what he meant.

Link to comment
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Maybe I take back what I said before. A lot of people don't want the shot because liberal elites are telling them to get it. Fauci is the enemy. It is absolutely political for some. 

 

Much of the rhetoric around the vaccine is explicitly political. This has prevented many from doing an honest cost/benefit analysis around the vaccine. Political critters and media outlets of all varieties and stripes engaged in this rhetoric to the detriment of everyone. 
 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I read somewhere that only about 25% of black folks have been vaccinated. Do you you believe the other 75% are conservative?

Vaccine hesitancy is a known phenomenon in the black community that is based on long history of documented malefaction by government health officials. For anyone wondering why that is, I got two words for you, “Tuskegee Experiment”.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Vaccine hesitancy is a known phenomenon in the black community that is based on long history of documented malefaction by government health officials. For anyone wondering why that is, I got two words for you, “Tuskegee Experiment”.

What explains the hesitancy among the conservative population?  As I recall, Operation Warp Speed implemented by the prior, infallible POTUS, fast-tracked vaccine development and distribution.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

What explains the hesitancy among the conservative population?  As I recall, Operation Warp Speed implemented by the prior, infallible POTUS, fast-tracked vaccine development and distribution.

I would place the blame mostly on the politicization of things by the media. Though there is also the general underlying bristling at being told what to do by government officials that aren’t on their team. 
 

With regards to Op Warp Speed, had the election gone the other way, I suspect we would have seen a far more mixed bag of reactions. Like some lefties being suspicious of the “Trump vaccine” and then conservatives spouting rhetoric about getting the jab similar to what gets thrown around about folks resisting the police when there is a questionable shooting and being friendlier to the idea of vaccine mandates. 
 

Of course I’m just a dumb trucker with too much time to think. What do I know?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Vaccine hesitancy is a known phenomenon in the black community that is based on long history of documented malefaction by government health officials. For anyone wondering why that is, I got two words for you, “Tuskegee Experiment”.

Lots of truth here

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I read somewhere that only about 25% of black folks have been vaccinated. Do you you believe the other 75% are conservative?

It’s come as a surprise to a lot of folks, but when you hear conventional wisdom on people of color getting the vaccine, you need to see the actual data.

There’s a lot that many of us assumed was going to happen that largely hasn’t. I am very close to a sister congregation that is predominantly black.  I was having lunch with one of their leaders back in January and he asked me how many folks in our congregation would get vaccinated.  I told him roughly 100%. I posed the same question to him,  and he shook his head and said it was going to be a real uphill battle.  He said that he might be the only person who wasn’t in an assisted living facility to get it.  Family memories of stuff  like Tuskegee makes it hard.

We had lunch back at the end of May, and he me told with tears in his eyes that over 60% had gotten it so far.

Here in Nashville, and largely nationwide, people of color have taken advantage of the opportunity to get the vaccine at a higher rate than was expected.

It was expressed to me that, “as a group, our outcomes from the disease are generally worse than other groups.”

I wonder if recognition of that is driving a lot?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

What explains the hesitancy among the conservative population?  As I recall, Operation Warp Speed implemented by the prior, infallible POTUS, fast-tracked vaccine development and distribution.

May be the perceived overreaction to the whole thing. And when Trump was running the show, NONE of the Democrats where willing to take it, including the geezer in chief.

I agree 100% with Desantis on how this whole thing should have been handled. Focus on the people that are at risk, and STOP destroying the whole economy. Now, MY media hasn't been telling me that he's an idiot. Other media has.

Sure it's been driven by politics because... our politicians and media are totally unethical, and WE are stupid enough to let them do it.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Of course I’m just a dumb trucker with too much time to think. What do I know?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Well, you were once a highly educated manager for Walgreens. Granted, you sizzled a meth head's nuts on the hot pavement in the parking lot, the WALGREENS parking lot at that. But, just a dumb trucker? I think not. 🙂 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
  • Admin Team
4 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Well, you were once a highly educated manager for Walgreens. Granted, you sizzled a meth head's nuts on the hot pavement in the parking lot, the WALGREENS parking lot at that. But, just a dumb trucker? I think not. 🙂 

All these years later, this still brings me so much joy.

Don’t go bitin’ @Chucktshoes and just expect to walk out of there…

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Administrator

Hopefully people are listening to their doctors and not the media, politicians, or the Internet.  My doctor told me to wait because I've had the real deal.  He also told me to get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine if/when I decide to participate in this ridiculously unprecedented clinical trial.

What blows my mind is the staggering amount of "Vaccine Shaming" that is wrapped around this whole issue.  Even if I ever do decide to get vaccinated against COVID-19, I'll probably take it to my grave as a secret.  And hopefully that'll be a long time after the vaccination and from reasons completely unrelated to the vaccine.

This issue isn't just politicized, it's been "socialized" to the point where an alarming percentage of people actually want the government to force their fellow citizens to undergo medical treatment.  FORCE.

 

And here we are participating in an Internet community centered upon the one Constitutional amendment that was designed to keep the government... a government... any government... from doing that sort of thing to you.

 

Weird.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mikegideon said:

There are a few good reasons for not getting it. 

Ok, I’ll finally admit it.  The real reason I haven’t gotten the shot is that somebody with marksmanship skills is gonna have to stick around to shoot all the suckers in the head in a year or two.  

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Ok, I’ll finally admit it.  The real reason I haven’t gotten the shot is that somebody with marksmanship skills is gonna have to stick around to shoot all the suckers in the head in a year or two.  

Never crossed my mind... promise.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Vaccine hesitancy is a known phenomenon in the black community that is based on long history of documented malefaction by government health officials. For anyone wondering why that is, I got two words for you, “Tuskegee Experiment”.

Yep, pretty messed up. Imagine going to sign up to be an awesome fighter pilot and they instead put you into a syphilis study. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Danger Rane said:

Yep, pretty messed up. Imagine going to sign up to be an awesome fighter pilot and they instead put you into a syphilis study. 

Our government at its absolute worst.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Our government at its absolute worst.

Man, here’s the problem. As horrendous as that was, I’m not convinced it was the worst. There’s way too many things vying for that crown. 
 

That’s not saying one should be as cynical as me and view it as mostly irredeemable. I’m just saying never stop fighting to make it better for EVERYONE. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, TGO David said:

What blows my mind is the staggering amount of "Vaccine Shaming" that is wrapped around this whole issue. 

This issue isn't just politicized, it's been "socialized" to the point where an alarming percentage of people actually want the government to force their fellow citizens to undergo medical treatment.  FORCE.

And here we are participating in an Internet community centered upon the one Constitutional amendment that was designed to keep the government... a government... any government... from doing that sort of thing to you.

 

Weird.

Ding ding ding ding winner.  

Link to comment
14 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Like some lefties being suspicious of the “Trump vaccine”

That isn't conjecture, it happened fairly frequently before the election. As if Trump went to the lab to develop the thing.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.