SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, FrankD said:

I thought this myth had been dispelled by experts who researched the cellular structure of the disease and proved it had evolved "naturally".  Not sure where I heard that or of course whether or not it's true, just another factoid.

I didn't say that was true, just that it is a idea being pushed around online. Just one of the many crazy ones. 

• Admin Team
18 minutes ago, FrankD said:

I thought this myth had been dispelled by experts who researched the cellular structure of the disease and proved it had evolved "naturally".  Not sure where I heard that or of course whether or not it's true, just another factoid.

15 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I didn't say that was true, just that it is a idea being pushed around online. Just one of the many crazy ones. 

The DNA sequence is public - and have been widely reported on.  For example - the Financial Times did deep reporting showing no signs of genetic engineering and that the virus appears to have evolved naturally.

I get it that most people aren’t geneticists, and don’t have the scientific background to understand a report like the above.  I might suggest that the inverse is also likely true - that most people don’t have the scientific literacy to be able to speak intelligently about it originating from somewhere else, either.

There’s an old line about every story needing a bad guy - and the administration is certainly doing everything they can do to label this “the Chinese virus” - but when you see conspiracy theories claiming that it originated somewhere else - maybe give it a critical look.

image.jpeg

If they’re trying to get you to shift your focus - what are they trying to shift your focus from?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Sec of State just said that China, Russia, and Iran have launched a disinformation attack on the US. It would follow that they would use a DDoS attack to slow down legitimate news sites.

EDIT: It would also follow that you have many more people who are home and taxing the Internet capacity with increased throughput capacity that residences have now. They are not using the company's MPLS system directly.

I’m no longer having issues getting to theses site. 

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Sounds like Fauci's and Trump's love affair may be on the rocks. :drama:

Yeah, Fauci should know better than to tell the truth.

Trump's litany of  ignorant opining, misleading disinformation, political and press attacks,  and outright lies over the last two weeks (too many to mention) have reached a new low, as they now directly affect the odds of mass death in my country.

But of course I understand it's still mostly Obama's fault.

- OS

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1
  • Administrator

This is a pretty fascinating read on how DARPA (they created this little thing called the Internet... you may have heard of it) has been driving innovation in developing a vaccine for COVID-10 in a fairly risk-free environment.

https://www.biocentury.com/article/304691/darpa-jump-started-technologies-behind-some-of-the-leading-covid-19-vaccine-and-antibody-hopes?fbclid=IwAR3FGXrCfH7nVsoHodUqeybYTXTMOYfFa6FDTQUd5FDqeXtR7sN7RB5sTnQ

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/21/doj-coronavirus-emergency-powers-140023

Not surprising news.

The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies — part of a push for new powers that comes as the coronavirus spreads through the United States.

So much for habeas corpus.

My liberal friend in AZ is distressed with the shelter-in-place directives from .gov

He claims it is nothing short of martial law, just with friendlier language; you will be subject to civil fines and / or house arrest for exercising your right to go out-of-doors.

Just left Kroger, there seems to be ample food stuffs on the shelves.

If we continue with the same level of health awareness, personal hygiene and employers encouraging workers to stay to home if they are sick, we could probably reduce traditional flu from 36 million ESTIMATED cases and 70,000 resultant deaths.

I did read one report where upwards of 99% of folks being tested have traditional flu. 

For myself, I simply will continue to navigate this germ infested planet with awareness and avoid running into burning buildings.

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 1
On 3/20/2020 at 10:08 AM, TGO David said:

My 6-year old daughter announced this morning that her head hurts and her voice (throat) hurts.  Granted, we go through this every Spring due to changing weather and seasonal allergies... but damned if it doesn't make my blood run a little colder just thinking about what else it could be.

We're going to be monitoring her closely.

Sorry to hear this. I hope she's fine today. It's probably just the flu, but you should take comfort in the reports that Covid 19 appears to cause only mild problems for those under age 20 and almost no problems for under age 10.

• Like 2

I've listened to Fauci several times now in press conferences and in news interviews. He needs to change his approach to interviews and require pre-delivered questions. His extemporaneous answers are sometimes not as clear as they should be. 

I also dislike his CYA responses about "unprecedented" blah blah blah. You're the CDC. You have one job. You blew it and now you're playing catch up as best you can. We get it. Just be up front with us. Even now, the CDC responses seem to be walking the line with the reality of this situation.  

• Admin Team
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Fauci comes across as more a Clinton era political hack than a medical expert.

He goes back further than that. He was at NIH during Reagan and Bush. Bush actually praises him for his work on AIDS in an ‘88 debate with Dukakis.

He’s 79.  He’s very much a pro.

He takes some of Trump’s spotlight though - so I doubt he’ll last very long. 

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

My liberal friend in AZ is distressed with the shelter-in-place directives from .gov

He claims it is nothing short of martial law, just with friendlier language; you will be subject to civil fines and / or house arrest for exercising your right to go out-of-doors.

It’s a shame that some people can’t grasp what is going on here, and instead of prioritizing dealing with the problem they want to whine about rights they think might be violated. Your friend is an example of that.

We are on the verge of an economic collapse. Martial law is a very real possibility. It hasn’t been implemented yet because emergencies are being declared and they are letting people move about to meet their basic needs. But Martial law isn’t required for arresting the idiots that seem to think their rights are somehow being violated because they can’t understand what is going on around them. Local law enforcement has the authority to do that without Martial law being declared.

This will end. What our country and our economy will look like is anybody guess.

• Like 1

Cooper just announced that Metro Nashville/Davidson County will shut down all “nonessential business” for 14 days. Shelter in place and social distancing are to be practiced. 
Hope everyone is prepared for what comes next. 

• Like 3

Governor Como of NY just said that masks they were paying .85 for, they are now paying over $7 for due to competing with other states. I thought Trump and Pence went to 3M and they were “On Board” and ready to help?? :confused:

I’d be curious to know if the manufacturer or the supplier is price gouging and how they are getting away with it. Or if Como is just lying.

He is asking that Medical Supply acquisition be federalized. I don’t see where that is necessary to fix the price?? He is also asking that the Army Corp of Engineers build five hospitals in NY. He is asking the President to cut through the red tape. Imagine him asking that.

Edited by DaveTN
10 minutes ago, Tedro2022 said:

Cooper just announced that Metro Nashville/Davidson County will shut down all “nonessential business” for 14 days. Shelter in place and social distancing are to be practiced. 
Hope everyone is prepared for what comes next. 

Actually it was a Safer at Home order. Stressing the need to stay home....

A Shelter in Place order would be more appropriate.

I’m bored......

Edited by Fourtyfive
5 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

Actually it was a Safer at Home order. Stressing the need to stay home....

A Shelter in Place order would be more appropriate.

I’m bored......

You’re right, it was a Safer at Home order. My apologies to all, I had no intention of spreading bad information. 
Guess I’ll start cleaning guns and loading mags and organizing ammo. Been a while since I’ve been in the gun room. 

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Fauci comes across as more a Clinton era political hack than a medical expert.

My problem with Fauci is that he seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself with his Q&A on-air time. The man looks like a comedian ready to deliver a punch line to his audience.

Wait...did I just accidently stumble onto something here? What id he actually is just waiting to drop something extraordinary?

My wife works at Vandy, had last week off. Has to go back to work Tuesday, scary. Her mom lives with us and I take care of my mom up the road. Did I read somewhere if you took care of an elderly person the hospital would give you sick leave?

Edited by Fourtyfive