SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, broox said:

This is something I don't understand. How is GM gonna make ventilators?  I can't imagine the assembly line changes and training and supply line logistics that have to be worked out. I would think it would take a month of work before they  made one ventilator.

These are certainly different times but how did GM, a jukebox company, a couple of typewriter companies, a postal meter company, and several other random companies produce over 6 million M1 Carbines in three years?

The need is now apparently, but manufacturers can adapt if need be and are capable of doing so...assuming American workers are capable of it.  Like I said, these are different times than the 1940’s.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
30 minutes ago, Garufa said:

If I was in that position maybe, but I’m not so GM can suck it.  There’s not a corporation in this country that can’t tighten their belt a bit...top down.  They’ll probably get a big fat government check anyway to keep them in business in the NEXT stimulus bill if it’s not already in this one.

Oh I agree. I'm not for the package signed off on today but many seems to think it will help. I thought the breakdown Erik posted showed a good chunk going to the auto mfg industry but I could be wrong.

50 minutes ago, broox said:

This is something I don't understand. How is GM gonna make ventilators?  I can't imagine the assembly line changes and training and supply line logistics that have to be worked out. I would think it would take a month of work before they  made one ventilator.

It may take a month....or more. GM is partnering with Ventec Life Systems to build these. 

Everyone that needs ventilators right now has them; there is no shortage of ventilators.

No one can possibly know how many will be needed, or if there will be enough available.

5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Has anyone else noticed a decline in the liberal lunacy outrage lately or is it just me?  

Stay alert fellas.  

Trump said what a good job Gavin Newsom, Andrew Cuomo, and Bill de Blasio was doing, and how he’s getting along well with them.

qu5ulRQ.gif

2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Has anyone else noticed a decline in the liberal lunacy outrage lately or is it just me?  

Stay alert fellas.  

There does appear to be a lull but it cant last long. Seems I read something about remote voting ? Is that something we have to look forward to ?

6 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

There does appear to be a lull but it cant last long. Seems I read something about remote voting ? Is that something we have to look forward to ?

How else are folks supposed to vote?  This pandemic might just be milked long enough that people actually think it’s a good idea.  Goodnight America.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

For Congress, yes. I can’t believe its 2020 and they don’t have that ability now.

Wow! I take a few days away from this doom & gloom thread and y'all have added over 5 pages to it! :eek:  Think y'all have beaten this horse enough? :confused:

OK, this is just my opinion. Take it for what its worth. :rolleyes:

Look, aside from the numbers and actual hard facts, everything else is nothing more than theory, supposition, conjecture and plain old guessing. Sure, they had contingency plans in place just in case something like this was to happen. But it was all based on those faulty computer models already mentioned. They were also based on budget needs at the time they were written, So following up got pushed to the side. In short, we got caught with our pants down.

As they say, no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy. :shake:  Well, we're well past first contact and now the battle has turned into a grade A cluster ****.  This is new ground. None of us were even born yet the last time this happened (1918). Its a learn as you go situation.  The lessons here are really hard. 

We have a bunch of politicians in charge. We've all known for many years that ALL politicians are thieves, liars, lazy and generally don't have a clue. Besides, they don't play well with others. Especially the other side of the aisle.  Now, all of a sudden, you expect them to actually do their jobs? Hell, most of them are still looking out for themselves. CYA is the order of the day. Sure, lots of big talk in front of the cameras. That's what they do best. But privately, I'm betting many of them are pooping their pants. :eek:

I've said before, mistakes have been made. And they will continue to be made on a daily basis. But at least they're trying. So far, I think the powers that be are doing a fairly decent job considering what they're up against. Trump is far from the best president we ever had. But I believe that he and his administration actually do care about the American people and are doing the best they can. 

As for me, there isn't much I can do about the situation. So instead of moanin' and groanin', I'm just gonna take precautions, hunker down at home and ride it out as best I can. 

How do you eat a sh!t sandwich? One bite at a time. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Only speaking for myself;

Worst case, I die. Going to Heaven and have adequate life insurance.

I get horribly I'll and require hospitalization or homebound illness. Got insurance and sick time.

Layoff or furlough. The spike in unemployment reveals part of the solution. Employers and states are working together to quickly process with "no search" exemptions if you are returning to your current employer.

My retirement may or may not be extended. Oh well, been working since 14, planned on 15 more. If I am healthy and enjoy what I do, why not a few more years of investing my time, talent, and treasure. Only down 25%, many of my peers at -30% so I'm ahead of the curve.

Mortality rate for CV is about 5 per million. I like my odds when coupled with prudent and common-sense lifestyle choices.

I understand protecting the public health and folks unable or unwilling to follow .gov guidance, but NY delaying elections and the RI National Guard going door to door rounding up suspected New Yorkers is concerning.

I am concerned about what we don't know got included in the stimulus. Read some reports of funds for the Kennedy Center, Planned Parenthood and some New Green Deal being slipped into earlier versions. I perceive some of the debt waiver stuff is wide open for abuse.

I am hopeful we continue with a heightened awareness of good hygiene and employers encourage sick employees to stay home to see the overall impact on traditional flu.

Edited by A.J. Holst
15 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

Mortality rate for CV is about 5 per million. I like my odds when coupled with prudent and common-sense lifestyle choices..

based on current numbers the current world wide death rate is 4.7% (which rounds to 5 deaths per hundred or 50,000 per million)

The US statistical death rate is 1.75% or almost 2 per hundred.

While I totally believe that there are many more folks who have been infected than are included in the current statistics, To get to a death rate of 5 per million, we would need the total world wide cases to actually be about 6.8 billion (almost the world population) 

I think there is easily an order of magnitude more cases in the world (6.8 million over 680,000) but that only gets the per death rate to 0.47% which is 5000 per million

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Now for some sad news. 

Joe Diffie died after testing positive for Coronavirus  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/joe-diffie-country-singer-dead-obituary-974556/

Thats sad for sure.  He was only 61.  Wonder if he had any underlying complications? Smoker? Not that any of that really matters just helps understand.  As someone with a chronic lung condition (asthma) I really don't want to test my luck with this

• Like 4