SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

If you think reasonable taxes are theft then why don't you move to a country that doesn't have taxes? Of course, those are mostly Arab countries or places where the tax is replaced with a large fee or "investments" to become a citizen.

As of now I pay more in just road and fuel taxes on an annual basis than the median income in this country. Now, I earn my living on these roads in a vehicle that is harder on them then your average four wheeler. I don’t mind contributing more to their upkeep. I do take issue with the manner in which that financing of the roadways is managed and how much is siphoned off by useless bureaucrats.

I will return to Greg’s question of what is reasonable? “That’s up to society to decide“ is a dodge. So, what percentage of a persons income do you consider to be a reasonable percentage for taxation? What’s the number?

44 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

If you think reasonable taxes are theft then why don't you move to a country that doesn't have taxes? Of course, those are mostly Arab countries or places where the tax is replaced with a large fee or "investments" to become a citizen.

We left “reasonable” a long time ago.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

As of now I pay more in just road and fuel taxes on an annual basis than the median income in this country. Now, I earn my living on these roads in a vehicle that is harder on them then your average four wheeler. I don’t mind contributing more to their upkeep. I do take issue with the manner in which that financing of the roadways is managed and how much is siphoned off by useless bureaucrats.

I will return to Greg’s question of what is reasonable? “That’s up to society to decide“ is a dodge. So, what percentage of a persons income do you consider to be a reasonable percentage for taxation? What’s the number?

The first paragraph I agree with. That's why I say I'm OK with 'reasonable" taxes. It chaps my ass to go into the VA or other government offices and see waste, inefficiency, or lazy people being promoted because they don't work on a merit system. It also chaps my ass when I see someone "pay-in" to the feds then get a tax return of not only that money but also receive thousands of dollars in "earned income" credit because they have kids.

My answer to Greg's question is not a dodge, and you claiming that it's so doesn't make it so. We live in a unique society that elects our leaders who set the taxes. That means society determines our taxes by their collective action. Whether you like it or not, that is what we have to deal with. If you don't like it then the choices are pretty clear: change society or move to a society that you agree with. Good luck changing society because the human collective is pretty damned stupid or just lazy.

20 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Simple: prices go up.

I don't mind paying a reasonable tax for services such as police, fire, and roads. I have problems when the taxes are wasted or directed to those who do not try to be a productive member of society. It chaps my ass to pay tens of thousands of dollars in federal income tax just to have Uncle Sam give it to someone else who doesn't pay taxes. Earned Income Credit is complete Bull 💩 to me.

^^^This post^^^

You were educating me on why tax rates have to go up.

Edited by gregintenn
Just now, gregintenn said:

^^^This post^^^

In what universe does that post advocate higher taxes? The cost for infrastructure and services go up. In other words, it is not static. I was simply answering your question. I never stated that the taxes that I currently pay are reasonable, nor would I ever say that because that's not reality as pointed out by stating some of the things that I see that chaps my ass.

2 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

In what universe does that post advocate higher taxes? The cost for infrastructure and services go up. In other words, it is not static. I was simply answering your question. I never stated that the taxes that I currently pay are reasonable, nor would I ever say that because that's not reality as pointed out by stating some of the things that I see that chaps my ass.

Taxes you pay also goes up even without rate increases. You make more money, you pay more tax. That is the way it is and the way it should be. A rate increase simply means more government. Don’t you believe we already have quite enough government?

9 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Taxes you pay also goes up even without rate increases. You make more money, you pay more tax. That is the way it is and the way it should be. A rate increase simply means more government. Don’t you believe we already have quite enough government?

You are really trying to go out of your way to put words in my mouth, and I'm not sure that debating it on a forum is effective. You asked a question and I answered it. If you don't accept that answer that's your choice, but it doesn't make it true nor any inferences you try to draw accurate.

To answer your last question, I certainly believe that we have a lot of waste in both local and federal government that should be cut-out before raising taxes.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

You are really trying to go out of your way to put words in my mouth, and I'm not sure that debating it on a forum is effective. You asked a question and I answered it. If you don't accept that answer that's your choice, but it doesn't make it true nor any inferences you try to draw accurate.

To answer your last question, I certainly believe that we have a lot of waste in both local and federal government that should be cut-out before raising taxes.

Change “before” to “instead of”, and we are on the same page.

• Like 2

Coronavirus: Armed protesters enter Michigan statehouse

Gun-toting protesters against Michigan's coronavirus lockdown have rallied in the state capitol building.

Buried in the story: :)

It is legal to bear firearms inside the statehouse, and several demonstrators were openly carrying guns in the Senate gallery.

Police checked their temperatures before some were allowed into the capitol, where lawmakers were debating.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52496514

• Wow 1
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Coronavirus: Armed protesters enter Michigan statehouse

Gun-toting protesters against Michigan's coronavirus lockdown have rallied in the state capitol building.

EDIT: Today at Kayleigh McEnany’s first briefing as press secretary, a reporter commented on if Trumps tweet calling them “Very good people”. He said they included heavily armed people, and members of militia groups, and said he wondered if the President was speaking about those specific members that stormed the Capitol when he talked about “very good people”.

Dang man, how do these idiots get in that room?

Tennessee cases jumped 10.8% today.  Thanks TDC.  I care little about prisoners but really?  The State needs to get what they can control in order before they start everything back up they cant’t.

Trousdale is the beginning of some big spikes I’m afraid.

Edited by Garufa
17 minutes ago, peejman said:

My employer added about 60 people to the unemployment statistics this week. 

I honestly don’t think we’ve seen the worst of it yet...and I’m an optimist. 

The layoffs and furloughs are just beginning.

• Like 3