SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

My biggest fear right now is that with a re-opening that there will be a sudden surge in the virus and we'll have to start all over again from scratch. 

I think I'll stay hunkered down for a while and see what happens. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

My biggest fear right now is that with a re-opening that there will be a sudden surge in the virus and we'll have to start all over again from scratch. 

I think I'll stay hunkered down for a while and see what happens. 

We’ll know in another week.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Moped said:

We’ll know in another week.

A better sense toward the end of the month I'd posit; infection to symptoms can be as much as 12 days, then on rough average another few days for those sick enough to be hospitalized, then another week or more for those to either recover or die.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I think June is going to be rough. Either the virus will disappear with the arrival of summer or it will start a 2nd wave about 2 weeks after the shutdowns start phasing out. 

I'll continue to take my vitamin D3 and stay away from other people as much as possible. I'm reading too many stories of nasty side effects that linger after "recovery." 

It will be tough to tell. I haven’t seen a graph anywhere for deaths by the day in Tennessee. I would think that would be the number that is least impacted by the number of tests. The number of tests and the availability of tests in increasing daily, so that’s not really a good number for comparison.

You also have too many people involved that want to manipulate the numbers. Like anything, some want them to show more, some want to show less. Finding impartial information is hard. I’ve also heard that hospitals are being pressured to report deaths as Coronavirus if they can tie it to it in any way. I don’t know if that’s true or just more fake news.

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I’ve also heard that hospitals are being pressured to report deaths as Coronavirus if they can tie it to it in any way. I don’t know if that’s true or just more fake news.

Hospitals are financially motivated to report C19 deaths. They get more reimbursement for a positive test. 

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospital-payments-and-the-covid-19-death-count/

On 5/7/2020 at 12:44 PM, bud said:

Davidson County restaurants to open starting Monday 5/11 + bars who serve food, both at 50% capacity. 

Hasta Lunes Senor Manny...

Cannot wait to go to bar and have a drink.. Been drinking much much less since the Pandemic.. And, to be honest, I never felt healthier eating all my food at home, cutting away most durum wheat and pasteurized dairy has made my lungs feel so clean and no allergies.  I just go out for a pizza once a week , because I cannot live without pizza.   

That being said, I just need to sit and have a drink because that is freedom.  Also need to ponder the fact I have lost the business I spent 15+ years building and slaving away for 60-70hrs/week. THe Pandemic has pretty much flatlined our already struggling business and now I will be forced to find a new software job after 15 years of being off the market. Sadly, I hear software job market is in bad shape, many lay offs and it can take over a year to find one now with my resume that is not tip-top.  Going to see if I can just find any work..    Might be just moving into my car in the next few months if I have to.  

Tough times... 

Edited by 4Freedom
  • Admin Team
7 hours ago, 4Freedom said:

Cannot wait to go to bar and have a drink.. Been drinking much much less since the Pandemic.. And, to be honest, I never felt healthier eating all my food at home, cutting away most durum wheat and pasteurized dairy has made my lungs feel so clean and no allergies.  I just go out for a pizza once a week , because I cannot live without pizza.   

That being said, I just need to sit and have a drink because that is freedom.  Also need to ponder the fact I have lost the business I spent 15+ years building and slaving away for 60-70hrs/week. THe Pandemic has pretty much flatlined our already struggling business and now I will be forced to find a new software job after 15 years of being off the market. Sadly, I hear software job market is in bad shape, many lay offs and it can take over a year to find one now with my resume that is not tip-top.  Going to see if I can just find any work..    Might be just moving into my car in the next few months if I have to.  

Tough times... 

What sort of software job are you looking for? The market is still quite strong here in Nashville. 

On 5/10/2020 at 4:11 PM, bud said:

I think the market will be there for you @4Freedom and i'll be pullin for you. Lots of small businesses have been forced to take their talents and change the focus of their business. You can do it. Certain sectors will come back strong and others never slowed down. Your talents will be in demand by someone, just gotta figure out who's short on what. I really do wish you well.

Thank you @bud.. I appreciate your good wishes. I am not so confident our economy is going to rebound and worry things may get worse.  But, I do have a Bearish outlook and been following economists who are more on the bear side of things.  What is a reality, is that the software market has laid off a huge chunk of workers in an already competitive market. I have not been on the software market for over 15 years because I was part of a small family business that I helped build and believed in it too religiously.  I am lacking important web skills and stacks, even though I have been spending the last year studying as much web and modern stacks as I Can, I am playing catch up.   Almost all software jobs in Nashville are web related and want senior or at least 5+ years web experience.  It was tough before the Pandemic , but I am reading getting a software job now is a nightmare.  I am pretty much accepting I will have to do freelancing and just see if I can get any kind of cruddy job.  THe problem is I am partially disabled now from working 70hr + weeks and being stupid.  That's  the problem with entrepreneurial pursuits and software in general it will ruin your body if you spend too much time doing it.   I

17 hours ago, MacGyver said:

What sort of software job are you looking for? The market is still quite strong here in Nashville. 

@MacGyver   At this point, I am desperate to do anything.  Of course, you cannot go into any software job (because of the culture) and show you are sweating, so I cannot even apply for lower level jobs easier because of my 20 years of experience. They expect I am senior web dev, even though all my experience is with application development.   Nashville's software market was very tough even before the Pandemic .  I am told you really need connections in this city.  Maybe has to do with the whole star/music industry mentality.   I don't really know anyone in the state of Tennessee.  The whole time I've lived here I was locked up in my apartment working long hours trying to keep our business alive.  But, the Pandemic did a good job of shutting it down.  Unfortunately, most dental offices are out of business for who knows how long.  I was already planning on leaving , but not so soon.  

I am thinking I may look into going to the Raleigh/Durham area that has the largest tech market in the Southeast and a little cheaper living than Nashville.   I may see if I can find a room in someone's house.  Going to have to store my guns somewhere and get rid of most of my possessions.  

With the lack of web skills and 25% unemployment I am thinking it could take years for me to land any type of corporate job now.  I am planning on putting up a profile on Upwork and advertising freelancing for $15/hr.  Many say I am cutting myself at the knees, but these are tough times and I rather do software for $15/hr than work at Wal-Mart or delivery. 

I am planning on spending a lot of time studying algorithms, data structures and computer science stuff that may help me get a job at the FAANG type companies that generally use this criteria as their entry point rather than stack experience.  Been a long time since i Studied all the mind-bending algorithms and done whiteboarding.    

Edited by 4Freedom
  • Admin Team
22 minutes ago, 4Freedom said:

Thank you @bud.. I appreciate your good wishes. I am not so confident our economy is going to rebound and worry things may get worse.  But, I do have a Bearish outlook and been following economists who are more on the bear side of things.  What is a reality, is that the software market has laid off a huge chunk of workers in an already competitive market. I have not been on the software market for over 15 years because I was part of a small family business that I helped build and believed in it too religiously.  I am lacking important web skills and stacks, even though I have been spending the last year studying as much web and modern stacks as I Can, I am playing catch up.   Almost all software jobs in Nashville are web related and want senior or at least 5+ years web experience.  It was tough before the Pandemic , but I am reading getting a software job now is a nightmare.  I am pretty much accepting I will have to do freelancing and just see if I can get any kind of cruddy job.  THe problem is I am partially disabled now from working 70hr + weeks and being stupid.  That's  the problem with entrepreneurial pursuits and software in general it will ruin your body if you spend too much time doing it.   I

@MacGyver   At this point, I am desperate to do anything.  Of course, you cannot go into any software job (because of the culture) and show you are sweating, so I cannot even apply for lower level jobs easier because of my 20 years of experience. They expect I am senior web dev, even though all my experience is with application development.   Nashville's software market was very tough even before the Pandemic .  I am told you really need connections in this city.  Maybe has to do with the whole star/music industry mentality.   I don't really know anyone in the state of Tennessee.  The whole time I've lived here I was locked up in my apartment working long hours trying to keep our business alive.  But, the Pandemic did a good job of shutting it down.  Unfortunately, most dental offices are out of business for who knows how long.  I was already planning on leaving , but not so soon.  

I am thinking I may look into going to the Raleigh/Durham area that has the largest tech market in the Southeast and a little cheaper living than Nashville.   I may see if I can find a room in someone's house.  Going to have to store my guns somewhere and get rid of most of my possessions.  

With the lack of web skills and 25% unemployment I am thinking it could take years for me to land any type of corporate job now.  I am planning on putting up a profile on Upwork and advertising freelancing for $15/hr.  Many say I am cutting myself at the knees, but these are tough times and I rather do software for $15/hr than work at Wal-Mart or delivery. 

I am planning on spending a lot of time studying algorithms, data structures and computer science stuff that may help me get a job at the FAANG type companies that generally use this criteria as their entry point rather than stack experience.  Been a long time since i Studied all the mind-bending algorithms and done whiteboarding.    

What jobs will you entertain on a site like Upwork? What are your current skills?

I would create a current LinkedIn profile.  I don't like saying that - but having that with a 'hirable' check is going to put you in front of a lot more people.  I'd also sign up for their weekly job posting email.  That'll at least have current leads.

Same with Github.  Get a current profile with "for hire" checked and see if you can't put some work out there - even if it's just a part of projects you're using to study right now.

I might consider a Pluralsight subscription or similar to fill in gaps in what you know.  Likewise Wes Bos has some great video courses on modern web stack type stuff.

Keep your head up.  Happy to chat anytime if it's helpful.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

What jobs will you entertain on a site like Upwork? What are your current skills?

I would create a current LinkedIn profile.  I don't like saying that - but having that with a 'hirable' check is going to put you in front of a lot more people.  I'd also sign up for their weekly job posting email.  That'll at least have current leads.

Same with Github.  Get a current profile with "for hire" checked and see if you can't put some work out there - even if it's just a part of projects you're using to study right now.

I might consider a Pluralsight subscription or similar to fill in gaps in what you know.  Likewise Wes Bos has some great video courses on modern web stack type stuff.

Keep your head up.  Happy to chat anytime if it's helpful.

@MacGyver.. Thanks for all this advice and it is solid.  Ironically, I do have a Linkedin Profile and use to get a lot of recruiters coming after me, although most assumed I was a senior web dev..  I interviewed at Microsoft in Seattle, but got creamed on the whiteboarding , algorithm exams.  Another reason I am planning on spending many sleepless nights relearning (and learning new) algorithms/data structures. 

I need to modify my LinkedIn profile to adjust what I am trying to identify myself as.. I am going to state i am an Back-End/Application Developer. I  am just not ready for interviews yet.  Ironically, I also have a Github page and have some open source projects on there.  I am currently working on two major web projects for my company before I end up leaving it I am hoping will look good on my resume/Linkedin and give me a little more real-life web experience that can hopefully compliment my 20 years of application development background.   

Oh, another funny thing is  I was in the middle of doing my ASP.Net Security Pluralsight course before taking a quick break and making this post :D  I have so many Udemy, PLuralsight and other courses. I have been doing nothing but studying.  Unfortunately, I am running out of money and time very fast and will end up living in my car soon.  It could take me a year or longer to find a software job in this market and if I am broke I will obviously just have to do whatever to put food in my mouth.   Once that happens my future in software will be in question.  Also with a bad back it will be hard to do heavy labor jobs and I hear the government isn't getting tapped out on unemployment.  I am looking at taking out a big loan and seeing how long I can live on it and destroy my great credit.  

I just cannot see with massive lay-offs and soaring unemployment how a guy who was already struggling and unprepared for the cutthroat software market is going to make it.  I've debated about getting a shack up in the Appalachians and trying to rough it out.  I did live in rural Oregon Coast for 6 years and that is where I started my software career with a VSAT connection (eventually upgrading to 700k DSL) in a double wide trailer off the beach.  I was very poor when I started my career.  So, it's not like I am not use to roughing it.     ALthough, I have never had to deal with an economy like this and I am getting older.

Right now I am grinding away many courses and building projects.. My apartment complex will try to force me into another year lease with very high rent and I will just have to vacate.  Not sure if I will stay in Tennessee, might have to go wherever survival takes me.   Don't have any family or friends or anyone , so I am all on my own here.   

My grandparents survived dirt poor in Great Depression somehow.. Hoping I can do the same.  

Edited by 4Freedom

4Freedom: you might try looking into IT contractors. My older son has and is currently working for one.  They work at various places under contract doing all sorts of IT stuff. My son was working at a Cummins turbo factory where everything from machines to inventory and shipping were all computer controlled. The factory where he was working got shut down by the virus. But he still has a job and is getting paid. His bosses tell him that as soon as they get another opening, he'll go back to work.  Although it might be at a totally different place. 

A good contractor has openings in a wide range of skills. I'm sure the right one could find a place that fits your particular talents. 

BTW: check into state dept of education classes. They are low cost and readily available. My son has updated/ upgraded several of his computer certificates by taking night classes. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

How does everyone feel about The State turning over the names and addresses of positive COVID-19 persons to LE and other first responders?

Not happy and not surprised. Desperate times and all that sh eeit

Edited by Raoul
19 minutes ago, Garufa said:

How does everyone feel about The State turning over the names and addresses of positive COVID-19 persons to LE and other first responders?

I don't have a problem with it. A Paramedics deserves to have that information when its available. 

2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I don't have a problem with it. A Paramedics deserves to have that information when its available. 

What else should law enforcement and paramedics be made aware of before answering a call in the grand scheme of things?  Serious question.  I'm just wondering where the former line between privacy and need currently stands, and where it's going.