SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

46 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

So would the flu, pneumonia, and a thousand other viruses floating around. If I am wrong, please correct me.

You have somewhat of an immunity to the flu, etc... this you dont and neither does your 80 year old neighbor.  This has the potential to be a VERY serious event.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t consume a lot of traditional media.

I can’t remember the last time a TV was on in my house tuned to anything of the sort.

But I’ve got friends with terminal degrees in public health and pandemic response who are really worried right now. These are folks who were on the ground in Africa during the Ebola crisis and who worked SARS and H1N1.

I’d trust them with my life - and these are folks who are used to parsing everything through the lens of risk.

There are a lot of folks on here who are more politically conservative than me. That’s great. I love debating big ideas.

But, your media is purposefully misleading you right now. For whatever the reason.

You need to take this seriously - if for no other reason than the country is going to get more liberal if you die.

And, it’s worth noting that here in Tennessee alone - we’ve lost so much capacity in terms of rural hospitals. Where are you going to go when you need treatment?

Bryan, are these friends saying what could be done to contain it at this point? Aside from locking us down like Wuhan and Italy, what other options do we have?

Edited by Erik88
  • Authorized Vendor

So my wife is an insurance agent and woke up with a fever of 101 this morning. Drove herself to Maury Regional and got tested for strep, flu and CV. She was negative for strep and flu. Doc told her they had to call "someone" to administer test for CV and surprisingly they were told to test her. Doc said she was the first person there to be tested. Apparently it will take a couple days for result of CV test.

Note..... my wife is a germaphobe and for the last few days has worn gloves, mask and even goggles at work and they have been constantly wiping down and disinfecting every damn thing in her office and hasn't gone anywhere else yet here we are. Needless to say she won't be going to work on Monday. She should have listened to me right? 

She's home quarantined upstairs.  I'll keep you posted.

• Wow 3
52 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The fact is we ARE in a flu epidemic. It happens every winter. The difference is there isn’t 24/7 news coverage of it and people aren’t freaking out about it.

While it's accurate that the flu kills more every year and the media doesn't give it attention (it's just accepted as a given, like drunk driving deaths), so in broad scope I get what your saying, but there are some key differences as it relates to people on an individual level.

There is a flu immunization available, so Grandma might be able to avoid it (or at least benefit from herd protection) without having to pay extra special attention to social distancing precautions, the flu has a significantly lower mortality rate and ICU resources are generally available when there isn't a pandemic going on at the same time, so even if Grandma gets it she is generally less likely to die,  and the flu has significantly less pre-symptomatic transmission risks.  So it's not an apples to apples comparison as it relates to people on an individual level.

Edited by Refleks
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

So my wife is an insurance agent and woke up with a fever of 101 this morning. Drove herself to Maury Regional and got tested for strep, flu and CV. She was negative for strep and flu. Doc told her they had to call "someone" to administer test for CV and surprisingly they were told to test her. Doc said she was the first person there to be tested. Apparently it will take a couple days for result of CV test.

Note..... my wife is a germaphobe and for the last few days has worn gloves, mask and even goggles at work and they have been constantly wiping down and disinfecting every damn thing in her office and hasn't gone anywhere else yet here we are. Needless to say she won't be going to work on Monday. She should have listened to me right? 

Praying for both of y’all. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

Dang GT. Prayers for you guys. 

29 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t consume a lot of traditional media.

I can’t remember the last time a TV was on in my house tuned to anything of the sort.

But I’ve got friends with terminal degrees in public health and pandemic response who are really worried right now. These are folks who were on the ground in Africa during the Ebola crisis and who worked SARS and H1N1.

I’d trust them with my life - and these are folks who are used to parsing everything through the lens of risk.

There are a lot of folks on here who are more politically conservative than me. That’s great. I love debating big ideas.

But, your media is purposefully misleading you right now. For whatever the reason.

You need to take this seriously - if for no other reason than the country is going to get more liberal if you die.

And, it’s worth noting that here in Tennessee alone - we’ve lost so much capacity in terms of rural hospitals. Where are you going to go when you need treatment?

Even in my 40-49 age bracket - this has 20x the mortality rate of a bad flu year.

Take it seriously y’all.

Since you don’t have news shows on in your house; let me assure you that the conservative media (that would be FOX News) is not taking this lightly and they aren’t purposefully misleading anyone, that I can see.

Those coming up with “This is politically motivated and is nothing to worry about” is not getting that from conservative media, well maybe InfoWars, but not FOX. 🙃

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Bryan, are these friends saying what could be done to contain it at this point? Aside from locking us down like Wuhan and Italy, what other options do we have?

By far the most significant change public officials can make is to tell everyone to they should consider themselves a potential source of infection even if they don't feel sick and even if they're in a low-risk age bracket, and rescind this nonsense that masks don't do you any good.   We don't need to cause panic, but we do need to improve source control (that includes potential source control), and that includes pre-hospital healthcare providers treating every patient as potentially infected even if they called 911 for unrelated reasons (the regular calls don't stop just because there's a pandemic) not just when they have flu-like symptoms.

Masks aren't a pancea by any means as we've discussed earlier,  but if everyone was on the same page regarding best practices it likely wouldn't have even gotten to the point of community spread as long as aggressive and decisive action was taken early, especially considering the lead up and warning we enjoyed this time around.  

People balk at the idea of shutting down flights, schools, and large gatherings early (after all, that's tens of billions to the taxpayer and weeks of lost revenue)....  right up until the alternative is trillions and months.

spacer.png

Edited by Refleks
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, Refleks said:

spacer.png

First of all, I suppose these are US citizens or residents returning from overseas. I would hope people are not just conducting international travel for pleasure right now.

Second. That’s a contagion’s dream scenario.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Snaveba said:

First of all, I suppose these are US citizens or residents returning from overseas. I would hope people are not just conducting international travel for pleasure right now.

Second. That’s a contagion’s dream scenario.  

Yep. Every one of those folks should consider themselves as a probable case of infection and head straight for a home based quarantine. 

6 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Lower Broadway is being closed immediately:

ETLLdqlXQAUrgXw?format=jpg&name=medium
All bars and restaurants in Ohio are being closed. 

Bout damn time.  I hate it for those business owners and their workers, but it needed to happen.  The amount of people that party on Broadway, then go back home miles away within our state, and to other areas all over the country as well, is contagion defined.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 3
  • Admin Team
43 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

Prayers for y’all. Summertown isn’t that far. If y’all need something, give me a shout. 

• Like 3
  • Admin Team
23 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Since you don’t have news shows on in your house; let me assure you that the conservative media (that would be FOX News) is not taking this lightly and they aren’t purposefully misleading anyone, that I can see.

Those coming up with “This is politically motivated and is nothing to worry about” is not getting that from conservative media, well maybe InfoWars, but not FOX. 🙃

I think this is what had my hackles up, Dave:

Sorry for the Twitter link - I couldn’t find one on YouTube.

Mind you, I understand the underlying sentiment - this is going to be really hard on small business owners. But, this is bad advice - and is contrary to what public health advocates are asking. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

The only options left are the extreme ones - self enforced social isolation would be best - but we’ll likely see more states do like Ohio and just close everything this week.  

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

28 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’m surprised he let them use his name.

10 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I don’t have a single decent word for those two jackasses but I do know where they can stick a couple dozen of those bottles before giving the rest away.

The state Atty General stepped in after Gov. Lee declared a state of emergency which activated the anti-price gouging measures. The stockpile is being “donated”.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1239238799273623554