Strutters are Back

pop pop

Daylight broke this morning to reveal about 30 turkey hens and one old tom strutting in my front yard. My wife opened the blinds and "Walla" "old tom" was just outside her window with his tail feathers in full bloom.  Guess another turkey season is not far off. All I can say is, "Come On Spring." 

Weather man said 70 here next week, so it will be camping next week for us. Number one grandson is looking forward to our trip to Pigeon Forge on the 20th.   Cody has Downs and he spends a lot of time with us because both his parents work. He is a great travel partner.

Gatlinburg, Great Smokey Mountains Nat Park, here we come, L/w. Got to get the truck fueled, and the "Wildcat"(5th Wheel RV) cleaned, stocked, fluffed, and ready to roll. Cody did not get to see the new Pirates show, last fall when we were up there, so he informed his Mimi he is looking forward to viewing that when we go next week.  

• Like 3

Yep Pop pop, been seeing toms strutting here and there. Hope you and your family have a very enjoyable trip and great weather. Spring time is my favorite season. It is the renewal of all the flowers and trees and animals that make you want to get up a little earlier the next morning.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, pop pop said:

You tell him E 4. Mt Juliet will know what you are saying, one of these days. 

As a kid a tent was it, even as a young man, we'll up to my 40s a tent was it. I have had enough of "camping", "glamping"(I realy like that new word) or what ever yall want to call it. If I go out of town it is a nice rented room fo me.

21 minutes ago, RED333 said:

As a kid a tent was it, even as a young man, we'll up to my 40s a tent was it. I have had enough of "camping", "glamping"(I realy like that new word) or what ever yall want to call it. If I go out of town it is a nice rented room fo me.

When I was a kid my parents raced freshwater sailboats. We would go out of town for regattas at places like Beaver Lake, Arkansas. We'd pack a heavy canvas family tent that took the entire top of my parent's VW bus and camp. It was a blast. I ended up camping in tents in my early 50's, but soon moved to a travel-trailer because after two back surgeries I'd hurt for days packing up the tent-camping equipment. I soon didn't like the confines of a travel-trailer and upped my game to nice Reflection 5th wheel. Now just a few years later and my wife's knees are so bad that she can't get in and out of it without hurting for days, so we're selling it this spring. :( 

@E4 No More, have you guys thought about modifying the entry so it's easier for her? Maybe something like an expanded metal ramp than pins together and runs parallel to the 5th wheel?

Or maybe a half-dozen of these at different heights?

https://www.campingworld.com/step-stool-aluminum-platform-step-adjustable-height-100841.html?cgid=tools-ramps-ladders#start=5&cgid=outside-rv%2Ftools-ramps-ladders%2Fsteps-ladders%2Fstep-stools

Edited by TomInMN
Additional info
13 hours ago, TomInMN said:

@E4 No More, have you guys thought about modifying the entry so it's easier for her? Maybe something like an expanded metal ramp than pins together and runs parallel to the 5th wheel?

Or maybe a half-dozen of these at different heights?

https://www.campingworld.com/step-stool-aluminum-platform-step-adjustable-height-100841.html?cgid=tools-ramps-ladders#start=5&cgid=outside-rv%2Ftools-ramps-ladders%2Fsteps-ladders%2Fstep-stools

Thanks for the suggestions. I had actually made a 6" step from expanded steel, and a ramp wouldn't work. To give you an idea of how bad she is, I put a 2 x 4 stair with a hand rail at the garage door entrance because it hurt her to make the 6" step into the house. She has no cartilage in one knee, and broke the other knee that didn't heal correctly. The doctor won't replace her knees because she's too heavy, but she can't exercise to lose the weight.

We've resolved ourselves to the fact of not being able to camp anymore. Besides the above, the friends that were our camping buddies moved to Florida. 

E 4, I also have knee problems. Had one replaced 2 years ago. I purchased a set of steps like home steps from a company in Dallas. They were 500. but worth every penny. I collapse them like an accordion and lay them in the door of the RV. They are made from lightweight material and last a lifetime. Shipped to your door. 

Port-A-Deck

RV-CO.com

214-649-9407

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2