New Henry rifle

Grunt67

Took delivery of my first Henry rifle today. Had this on my bucket list for awhile. Model H010, cal. 45/70, 19.3" bbl. Be glad when this crazy weather clears, so & can go shooting.

Comes with open sights; brass bead front, semi-buckhorn rear, adjustable for windage & elevation.

DSCN0063 (2).JPG

Edited by Grunt67
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, owejia said:

Wish some body would make one in the 327 mag in stainless!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if they did at some point. They keep coming out with new configurations all the time. They even have side gates now, which was a surprise.

The side gate version still has the tubular mag also, so you can go at it either way.

3 hours ago, tnhawk said:

Henry rifles are addictive, much like the 1911.

I'll agree on the Henrys', but the 1911s are not for me. Only one I ever shot was in Infantry training. Didn't like it. Lots of folks do tho. Different strokes for different folks, LOL.

I'll stick with my Walther...

3 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

OP we are all waiting on a range report!  😜

So am I. Weather not cooperating. Stand by.........., LOL

Actually, health not cooperating either. Been down with a bad case of allergies. Sinus drainage, cough, chest congestion. I'd do well to hold a rifle still long enough to stay on target. Patience wearing thin, not that I had much to begin with.

6 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

So am I. Weather not cooperating. Stand by.........., LOL

Actually, health not cooperating either. Been down with a bad case of allergies. Sinus drainage, cough, chest congestion. I'd do well to hold a rifle still long enough to stay on target. Patience wearing thin, not that I had much to begin with.

You might get tested (If you can) for Covid-19. Other than the drainage, cough and congestion are symptoms. Any fever, even mild? My wife had barely a cough and a fever less than 100. And she was positive. 

19 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

You might get tested (If you can) for Covid-19. Other than the drainage, cough and congestion are symptoms. Any fever, even mild? My wife had barely a cough and a fever less than 100. And she was positive. 

My symptoms aren't the same as Corona. No fever, Went thru the VA last week. I"m OK. VA screening everybody entering the bldg.

Thanks, tho, appreciate it.

• Like 2
On 3/14/2020 at 10:31 PM, swiley383 said:

We just adopted 2 boys age 2 and 3 plane on getting them 22 golden boys and ordering the engraved receivers with personal inscriptions for both of them.

Congratulations on your growing family!

Inscription suggestion:

"Don't shoot your eye out!"

Well, the long awaited range report.

Took the new Henry 45/70 out to play today. Pics below....

Top pic was with my reloads, Starline brass, Hornady 300 gr HP, IMR 4198 powder 41 grs. At 25 yds.

Bottom pic is Federal Fusion 300gr. HP factory at 25 yds.

I was a bit disappointed in the Federals, supposed to be great, maybe in another rifle, not so much in this one. The shot on the bottom I pulled I think.

I was surprised the reloads did that well, had no idea how they would work. I took the middle ground from the Hornady manual @ 41grs. Think I'll keep it.

DSCN0066.JPG2.JPG

DSCN0065.JPG2.JPG

Edited by Grunt67
  • Like 4