Coronavirus and gun control

You knew it had to happen. ;)

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/champaign-city-council-gives-mayor-power-to-impose-curfew-seize-private-property/

On March 13, Champaign City Council unanimously approved an ordinance giving the mayor and city manager a broad range of new temporary emergency powers, including the authority to:

Impose a curfew

Bar residents from public buildings

Close all liquor stores

“Require closing of business establishments”

Prohibit the sale of firearms and ammunition

“Order City employees or agents, on behalf of the City, to take possession of any real or personal property of any person, or to acquire full title or such lesser interest as may be necessary to deal with a disaster or emergency”

Ration or shut off public utilities, such as water and power

I'm not a tinfoil hat that sees everything as gun control, but my wife was looking at news from home and told me about this. I have no idea why they would include this.

I saw this earlier today.  It boggles the mind what constitutional violations local municipalities can come up with.

Of course they said they don’t intend to exercise their new self-granted powers.

The banning of firearms and ammo transactions is about par for the course but the seizure of personal property is a massive threat.

I imagine there is going to be a wave of such governmental hysteria sweeping the nation.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I saw this earlier today.  It boggles the mind what constitutional violations local municipalities can come up with.

Of course they said they don’t intend to exercise their new self-granted powers.

The banning of firearms and ammo transactions is about par for the course but the seizure of personal property is a massive threat.

I imagine there is going to be a wave of such governmental hysteria sweeping the nation.

Guaranteed. 

16 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

This is enforceable how?

Because local governments can do whatever they want. Until someone tells them…No. If they stop any of these sales, whether it be ammo, liquor, or whatever; the people would have to file a case in court. By then the issue will be over, and the courts won’t want to hear the cases. All governments have emergency powers, Feds, State, County, City…all of them.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Because local governments can do whatever they want. Until someone tells them…No. If they stop any of these sales, whether it be ammo, liquor, or whatever; the people would have to file a case in court. By then the issue will be over, and the courts won’t want to hear the cases. All governments have emergency powers, Feds, State, County, City…all of them.

Even emergency powers have to be justified, and what will stop cases will be the amount of money the average Joe has to prosecute a case to a higher authority.

In CA they have 7 counties , SF bay area that you can no longer leave your home unless going to DR , Hospital , and short trips to get supplies. No bars  , restaurants with sit in eating , only take out and delivery . Can not be on the streets or they can site you , it is a misdemeanor if caught . Of course the police don't even come out if your car is broken into , and then they tell you " Come down to the Police Dept and file a report."

Everything is shut down , my grand daughter told me it looks like a ghost town .

My youngest asked me if this was " The Purge" . We shall see.

Edited by Capt.Dunsel
4 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Hey guys saw this earlier. It is kind of long, but shows how "those in power" want to flex their muscles. https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/new-orleans-mayor-can-restrict-sale-transportation-of-firearms-and-alcohol/

I thought after Katrina a bunch of states passed laws that during an emergency LE couldn’t mess with firearms transportation. I’m pretty sure TN did, and I thought LA did.

:confused:

10 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I thought after Katrina a bunch of states passed laws that during an emergency LE couldn’t mess with firearms transportation. I’m pretty sure TN did, and I thought LA did.

:confused:

I know they banned outright confiscation, but everything else is at The Man’s leisure AFAIK.  Like NY shutting down the Remington plant as non-essential.

3 hours ago, Garufa said:

Like NY shutting down the Remington plant as non-essential.

Yea tell that to the sheeple that can't find any ammo for their brand new toy!! I heard a guy on youtube that has his ffl said that guns and ammo everywhere were selling way faster than after Sandy Hook.

Edited by Dirtshooter
12 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Yea tell that to the sheeple that can't find any ammo for their brand new toy!! I heard a guy on youtube that has his ffl said that guns and ammo everywhere were selling way faster than after Sandy Hook.

Gee...who's surprised. Crazy happens when it TEOTWAWKI