JJ Weston (Pieper) Belgium Double Barrel

Recently acquired a JJ Weston made by Henri Piper double barrel. Trying to determine if its got Damascus or Steel barrels. The top of the barrel says " Fine Twist Belgium" and the barrels lock up nicely. Has dual hammers and triggers. Looks to be in great shape with good lockup

Anybody have information on these? As in an accurate year determination. Gunsmiths in the Nashville area familair with them? 

The description sounds like wire twist barrels. You should be able to determine that via visual inspection. If so, I would recommend black powder loads only unless/until someone more knowledgeable than me tells you otherwise.

I have no idea as to the history or timeline of the gun or the manufacturer.

For curiosity’s sake, I’d enjoy pictures.

• Like 1

https://www.gunsamerica.com/930027401/J-J-Weston-SBS-Double-30-Exposed-Hammers-12-G.htm

:shrug:

"Description:Well Used: J.J. Weston Side-By-Side Double-Barrel Exposed-Hammers 12 Ga. Shotgun, 30" Damascus-steel barrels with center rib, bead front sight and dual extractors, unknown choke, steel receiver with exposed double hammers, smooth wood buttstock with FN buttplate and round-knob pistol grip, checkered wood forearm, double triggers. No FFL required for shipment. BUYER MUST ADD 3% IF NOT PAYING WITH A CASHIER'S CHECK OR MONEY ORDER.(VPGS 1895BVZ) Buttstock cracked on left side below lockwork at pistol grip. Marked on both sides of receiver "J.J. Weston". No other visible markings on outside and no visible serial number on outside or inside. No marks on inside of receiver. Bottom of barrels inside receiver marked "E" over "LG" inside oval. Other markings on bottom of barrels are "CR" and "18.2." This may be a Belgium-made shotgun according to one reference source cited below, plus it has a buttplate marked "FN" which is the Belgium manufacturer FN Herstal/Browning. The barrels are Damascus steel and are not safe for firing with modern ammo. We have not test-fired it and will not do so. We do not know for sure how old it is, nor how many rounds have been fired in it. We have no history on it. We found one unknown reference source cited on J.J. Weston Shotguns on The Firearms Forum: "Shotguns with the name J.J. Weston were made by one of two makers, one American and one Belgian and they were not made until 1890 or later. The American maker was the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, CT (1891 to 1931) and the Belgian maker was Henri Pieper of Leige Belgium. The Belgian made guns were imported between 1890 and 1914 when World War one cut off exports from Belgium. The guns were sold by H & D Folsome, a wholesaler who imported guns and owned Crescent Fire Arms as well. The way to tell the difference is to look at the bottom of the barrels under the forearm (handguard). The Belgian made gun will have proof marks consisting of the letters "ELG" stamped in an oval. There will be no proof marks on the American made gun. CAUTION! The gun was designed for the ammunition in use at the time which was black powder. It was not designed for smokeless powder of any kind and in addition if made in Belgium will have damascus barrels. It was certainly not designed magnum shells or steel shot. I dont recommend that it be fired with any kind of ammunition."

I will add that many of these are chambered for 2.5 inch shells. I have shot several of these with Trap loads but no field or high brass stuff. There are people walking around with one eye because they thought these wouldn't blow up and didn't have eye protection on   

4 minutes ago, Sunfish said:

I will add that many of these are chambered for 2.5 inch shells. I have shot several of these with Trap loads but no field or high brass stuff. There are people walking around with one eye because they thought these wouldn't blow up and didn't have eye protection on   

Oh I definitely dont intend to shoot it much and for sure no high brass but i might shoot at a dove or two on opening day just for the thrill. 

Say you did shoot light load 2-3/4s or the 2-1/2s? I saw that RST sells correct length shells. I havent checked the chambers other than sliding a 2-3/4" down in it to confirm it was a 12. 

• 1 month later...

Have it checked by somebody that knows damascus . If you have pitting in the barrel at all I would not shoot it . You could buy some of the sleeves and shoot a smaller gauge shell but they are not cheap .  Any way you go I would not shoot anything heavier than the RST Light 2.5 loads .  Damascus can have damage that you can't see , rust in the twist but not showing on the surface . Piper made a good solid gun with good barrels but they are way over 100 years old . Good Damascus is safe with loads in the pressure range they were intended for but smokeless loads are very rarely in that range and have a totally different pressure curve than the black powder or semi smokeless that was the norm when those barrels were built. If it lets go it will not be in the chamber but most likely 16" to 18" down the barrel where your hand will be on the forearm .  You could buy some brass shells and load with Black Powder or an equivalent load of one of the non corrosive substitutes if the barrels are found to be in safe condition . That's what I'd do as it would be the safest and least expensive in the long run . Briley tubes are great but they are not cheap.

https://www.briley.com/c-238-tube-sets-and-tube-set-accessories.aspx