Mossberg Plinkster

Ok here it is. A buddy of mine was squirrel hunting with me last weekend and his Mossberg Plinkster 22 jammed.

The receiver/ejector port has locked open and will not close. I have no idea why, and before I start tearing it apart, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

Thanks for any and all help.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here it is. A buddy of mine was squirrel hunting with me last weekend and his Mossberg Plinkster 22 jammed.

The receiver/ejector port has locked open and will not close. I have no idea why, and before I start tearing it apart, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

Thanks for any and all help.

I guess you mean the semi auto 702 model?

EDIT: I'm sure ya do, now that I reread...I have the bolt model 802 ... never mind.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Astra900

Yeah, pull out on the bolt handle. Pull back gently and pull out on the handle.

The way you lock the bolt open on most rifles like that is to pull back and push in on the bolt handle. It could have slid into lock by accident. It's not unheard of.

Guest tnmale46

The way you lock the bolt open on most rifles like that is to pull back and push in on the bolt handle. It could have slid into lock by accident. It's not unheard of.

x2

I had a plinkster (702 - semi auto 22)... about a year ago. $99 from walmart. Only gun i've returned (yes to Walmart and they took it).

--

Not quite your problem but related as a my thoughts on Mossberg quality vs. the other out there. Mine started by jamming constantly. I ran 500 rounds of everything from CCI to Remington, Federal, everything I could find. Cleaned it, lubbed it, ran it dry, looked for burrs, rubbed my tummy and patted my head while shooting - All the same. I even purchased (2) new mags (Mossberg mags) at $13 each and they all failed equally.

Walmart sent it back to Mossberg for me. Same thing TWICE. (yes, returned twice and got it back twice).

The last straw was when it kept exploding on me. Yes - exploding. atleast 2x it seemed to ignite the round while still in the magazine! Another 2x there were a squid and luckily I caught it and cleared it before firing again.

Since then, I will only by the best in firearms that I can afford. I tried to save $35 by going with a mossberg instead of a Marlin 60. After I complained enough, Walmart (yes Walmart) took it back and I used the $ to get a Marlin.

First it was just annoying to have every 4-5 rounds jam...then it just got dangerous. Just be careful and my advice now to folks is to never settle for 2nd best...get what you want even if you have to save for it. And saving a few bucks on something as important as a gun/rifle/shotgun just isn't worth it. Don't buy something just because they are cheap -often you get what you pay for. Rant off...sorry if I made a tangent on the topic.

I had a plinkster (702 - semi auto 22)... about a year ago. $99 from walmart. Only gun i've returned (yes to Walmart and they took it).

--

Not quite your problem but related as a my thoughts on Mossberg quality vs. the other out there. Mine started by jamming constantly. I ran 500 rounds of everything from CCI to Remington, Federal, everything I could find. Cleaned it, lubbed it, ran it dry, looked for burrs, rubbed my tummy and patted my head while shooting - All the same. I even purchased (2) new mags (Mossberg mags) at $13 each and they all failed equally.

Walmart sent it back to Mossberg for me. Same thing TWICE. (yes, returned twice and got it back twice).

The last straw was when it kept exploding on me. Yes - exploding. atleast 2x it seemed to ignite the round while still in the magazine! Another 2x there were a squid and luckily I caught it and cleared it before firing again.

Since then, I will only by the best in firearms that I can afford. I tried to save $35 by going with a mossberg instead of a Marlin 60. After I complained enough, Walmart (yes Walmart) took it back and I used the $ to get a Marlin.

First it was just annoying to have every 4-5 rounds jam...then it just got dangerous. Just be careful and my advice now to folks is to never settle for 2nd best...get what you want even if you have to save for it. And saving a few bucks on something as important as a gun/rifle/shotgun just isn't worth it. Don't buy something just because they are cheap -often you get what you pay for. Rant off...sorry if I made a tangent on the topic.

My first rifle I ever purchased at 18 was a bolt action Mossberg Plinkster from Dick's and ran a whole bulk pack through it and then I sold it to friend he shot about 100 rounds through it and it broke whatever held the bolt in. So everytime you pulled the bolt back it came all the way out. I felt bad and ended up only making him pay $20 bucks for it.

• 2 weeks later...

x2
WELL????

Sorry it took so long.

He tried what Astra said to do and told me it didn't work.

We went Skeet shooting this past saturday and he brought it along so that I could take another look at it, and......................

Astra's suggestion worked like a charm. I am not sure what he was doing, but I had no problem. And we put a few rounds throught it afterwards.

Thanks Everyone :up:

• 5 months later...
Guest witchdr

I have had a plinkster for about five years and it did jam and have failure to feed the first about 1000 rounds.After this break in period the only problems I have had is the mags can't be left loaded full for long periods of timeor they won't feed,Ionly load 8 rounds if I am going to leave a magazine loaded for more than a few days .This seems to work well

I too have a plinkster 702 bought new last year at academy, For 100 bucks I think it has been pretty good, no issue's thus far...little jamming with one certain mag but walmart had their mags on clearance a while back and I bought 6 for around 10 bucks a piece. I have since scored a marlin model 60 and use it more often than not and the plinkster has been sitting. If I were to buy new I would go with the marlin but the plinkster I have hasn't been a lemon with around 1500 rounds through it!

Mossberg used to make pretty doggone good .22 rifles. So good, in fact, the US Military contracted with Mossberg to make training rifles for our servicemen.

Seems like every gun show I've visited has a few older Mossberg .22s, sometimes cheap even. I was offered an old commercial Mossberg .22 at the last Knoxville show, I think the price was $125. I almost bought it, but I have quite a few already so I passed. It was nice, and had some kind of target front sight insert, I'm regretting passing on it still.

I'd suggest checking into some of the older Mossberg .22lr rifles, back when the quality was infinitely better.