Sig P320 Announcement

Dustbuster

Interesting, love my 320's no issues.

Dear Valued Customer,

Although plaintiffs have not proven their claims, SIG SAUER has reached an agreement to resolve a class action lawsuit alleging that P320 pistols manufactured prior to August 8, 2017, have the ability to fire when the pistol’s slide and barrel are in an unlocked condition. The plaintiffs in this lawsuit claim that the inclusion of a mechanical disconnector in the design of the P320 pistol after August 8, 2017, a feature which is also included in the free Voluntary Upgrade Program (VUP) provided to all owners of P320 pistols manufactured prior to August 8, 2017, prevents the P320 pistol from firing in this condition.

SIG SAUER denies plaintiffs’ claims. By entering into this agreement, SIG SAUER is not admitting that any of plaintiffs’ allegations have merit, and plaintiffs have not proven their claims. In fact, it is SIG SAUER’s position that the design of the P320 pistol – both pre-upgrade and post-upgrade – prevents the P320 pistol from firing in an unlocked condition. SIG SAUER has conducted extensive testing of both the pre-upgrade and post-upgrade P320 pistols to confirm its position that the pistol will not fire with the slide and barrel in an unlocked condition.

In late 2017, SIG SAUER implemented an upgraded design of the P320 pistol to enhance the safety and performance of its P320 model pistol. All P320 owners who purchased a pistol prior to the design change are able to have their P320 pistols upgraded through the P320 Voluntary Upgrade Program (VUP). The upgraded design and implementation of the VUP was designed to further enhance the drop safety of the P320 model pistol. Although the P320 pistol met and exceeded all U.S. safety standards, it was discovered during additional testing beyond those standards that in some cases, under very specific conditions, the P320 pistol could discharge if dropped at a specific angle. Additionally, as part of this design upgrade, a mechanical disconnector was added to the P320 pistol to enhance trigger feel and consistency, as well as to prevent a “dead trigger” condition when the trigger has been pulled with the slide retracted. Although this disconnector serves as a redundant safety against the pistol firing in an unlocked condition, it is not its primary function and is not necessary to prevent such occurrences.

The SIG SAUER P320 pistol continues to meet and exceed all industry safety standards, and it is safe to carry and use in both the pre- and post-upgrade versions, when handled in accordance with the operator’s manual. However, to avoid the uncertainty and high costs of further litigation, SIG SAUER has reached an agreement to resolve this case. The forms attached below describe the rights which current and past P320 pistol owners may have under the terms of this agreement. If this agreement is finally approved by the court, these individuals may be entitled to certain benefits, including continued availability of the P320 VUP free of charge, a lifetime warranty against specific kinds of damage to the firearms, and a potential refund of amounts previously charged to repair firearms or replacement of unrepairable pistols. Please review these documents carefully to determine whether you may be eligible to submit a claim for such benefits.

NOTE: IF YOU CURRENTLY OWN A P320 PISTOL THAT WAS MANUFACTURED PRIOR TO AUGUST 8, 2017, AND WHICH HAS NOT GONE THROUGH THE VOLUNTARY UPGRADE PROGRAM, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SUBMIT A CLAIM FORM TO HAVE AN UPGRADE PERFORMED. SIG SAUER ENCOURAGES YOU TO VISIT THE VOLUNTARY UPGRADE PAGE TO DETERMINE WHETHER YOUR FIREARM IS ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE, AND TO INITIATE THE UPGRADE PROCESS.

Completed claim forms can be submitted to: hartleyagreement@sigsauer.com.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, TomInMN said:

Every time I get excited about a 320, I remember this and their handling of it.

I want to like Sig more than my remembering those things will let me...

Just about every manufacturer has a skeleton of some sort in their closet.  Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Sig... you name it.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Just about every manufacturer has a skeleton of some sort in their closet.  Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Sig... you name it.

Speaking of, I won't buy Smiths new, either.

What are Ruger and Glock's stories? I've heard that Bill Ruger was pretty adamant that guns are only for hunting, but I don't really have any knowledge of that myself.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

Speaking of, I won't buy Smiths new, either.

What are Ruger and Glock's stories? I've heard that Bill Ruger was pretty adamant that guns are only for hunting, but I don't really have any knowledge of that myself.

S&W isn't the same company as it was years ago.  Literally.  They became an employee-owned entity then became part of a conglomerate and now are semi-sorta spun off from that.  Any sins of their past are now firmly rooted in the past, committed by people who have zero to do with the modern incarnation.

Bill Ruger proposed magazine capacity bans in 1989 and became known as the Benedict Arnold of gun control.

Glock's problems are mostly in the past (unless you have a G44 that has fallen apart) and centered upon the company's previous hesitance to acknowledge reliability problems with the G22 and G23 that they ultimately acknowledge after coming up with corrective actions.  That and Gaston Glock's family problems are a bit of a train-wreck, but that never really bothered me too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, TGO David said:

S&W isn't the same company as it was years ago.  Literally.  They became an employee-owned entity then became part of a conglomerate and now are semi-sorta spun off from that.  Any sins of their past are now firmly rooted in the past, committed by people who have zero to do with the modern incarnation.

Bill Ruger proposed magazine capacity bans in 1989 and became known as the Benedict Arnold of gun control.

Glock's problems are mostly in the past (unless you have a G44 that has fallen apart) and centered upon the company's previous hesitance to acknowledge reliability problems with the G22 and G23 that they ultimately acknowledge after coming up with corrective actions.  That and Gaston Glock's family problems are a bit of a train-wreck, but that never really bothered me too much.

I agree on Smith & Wesson. Even though I am a Smith & Wesson fan boy and will continue to buy them; their customer service certainly is not anywhere near what it used to be.

S&W’s has always argued their sins of the past were from when the Brits owned them; they are still putting internal locks on guns. And they are still putting crappy triggers in the M&P’s, but they are selling like crazy….

S&W is good though about giving the customer what they want in product and options. Sure, there will always be someone whining about something, but they have a better selection of options than most.

They have recently had a lot of problems with that Shield EZ. Instead of stopping production until they find out what’s going on, they keep pumping them out. I also believe they are playing fast and loose with the “Performance Center” name. That name used to mean something special; not anymore.

Ruger appears to be doing a lot. Bill Ruger is dead and the company is being run by businessmen with new ideas. Most of the new stuff they are doing are guns I’m not interested in, but I did recently buy a new Mark IV and a Blackhawk Convertible.

I don’t buy foreign guns, so I don’t know much about what Glock is doing. But I did find myself looking at the new SIG P365XL due to expanded capacity. But with their limited warranty and issues I have seen on this forum with SIG; I decided to stick with the Shield in that size.

• Like 1