No Ammo....

Ammo is up 90.00 per 1000 from S G Ammo this morning. I could purchase 9 MM for 179. 00 per thousand before Covid. Now it is 269.00, this morning, plus 16.00 shipping. 

I was a good boy scout though, Raoul. Don't need any. S G got all you want to pay for. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

After all this BS blows over the prices will come back down, no one needs to panic as there will be ammo available just like toilet paper.

It’s worth mentioning that we are heading into a Presidential election.  If thing start going south for Trump then we’re going to see crazy prices for quite a while to come.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

It’s worth mentioning that we are heading into a Presidential election.  If thing start going south for Trump then we’re going to see crazy prices for quite a while to come.

Yeah, if a communist dem is elected all bets are off. Hope& Pray it never happens.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, AuEagle said:

Yeah, if a communist dem is elected all bets are off. Hope& Pray it never happens.

Just having a democrat running for President is enough to set many off on a hoarding spree.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I load .45 ACP   For 1000 Rounds (Approx)

1000 Primers $30.00

1 Lb Unique $25.00  6.5 Gr per load.

1000 200 Gr SWC from Bulletworks  $80.00

Brass Free as I have thousands of cases.

About .13 1/2 cents per.

Edited by AuEagle
On 3/28/2020 at 11:08 AM, Snaveba said:

Well, as an example, Tula 9mm steel case was typical 8.99 or less a box of 50.  Sometimes even 7.99 per box. CTD has it currently at 11.60/box. However, the Tuesday before last (March17) when everyone was freaking out, CTD had it listed for $34/box. 

A good example of why I stopped buying from ctd  many years ago.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

There's a whole bunch of reasons feeding into the shortage:

• Demand is at tenfold levels for normal years as a result of COVID and civil unrest; it's also an election year which feeds demand. Around four million new gun owners are also feeding into this.
  • The major four manufacturers produce about 8 Billion rounds a year for the US consumer market. Production has been disrupted by COVID and requirements for social distancing in facilities. 
  • There is a shortage of raw materials. Even though mining was designated an essential business, production is down so brass, lead, copper etc are more expensive and in shorter supply. 
  • Primers are still pretty much hand made and it is not a short process to train people to do it so this is a big issue.
  • Trucking is also down about 5% so moving material around the country is also feeding the problem.
  • Manufacturers have ramped up shifts where possible but don't want to invest into new production lines for what is potentially a short term problem. There are really only two makers of large scale ammunition production equipment and it is not cheap.

This situation really is a perfect storm and is unprecedented. On the plus side, if Trump wins, we should expect normality to return sometime around summer of 2021. If Biden wins it could be a lot longer, if it ever does return.

There's a very good YouTube video which goes through this in a lot more detail but I can't find the darn thing right now. Will try find it and post.

EDIT - Found it! This is long but well worth a watch: 

Edited by MikeF1000
  • Like 3

Firearms maker Remington Outdoor Co. has agreed to sell its ammunition business out of bankruptcy to South Carolina-based investment firm JJE Capital Holdings LLC for $65 million plus the assumption of liabilities, subject to better offers.

The JJE offer came in the form of a stalking-horse bid, setting a floor on the sale price for Remington’s ammunition business, which the company has been marketing while in chapter 11. Remington filed for bankruptcy protection in July and has been open to selling its ammunition and firearms operations to pay off its debt.

The proposed deal outlined in papers filed Tuesday in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Decatur, Ala., covers the design and manufacturing of ammunition sold under the Remington and Barnes Bullets brands and includes production facilities in Arkansas and Utah.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remington-agrees-to-sell-ammunition-business-including-barnes-bullets-for-65-million/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Firearms maker Remington Outdoor Co. has agreed to sell its ammunition business out of bankruptcy to South Carolina-based investment firm JJE Capital Holdings LLC for $65 million plus the assumption of liabilities, subject to better offers.

The JJE offer came in the form of a stalking-horse bid, setting a floor on the sale price for Remington’s ammunition business, which the company has been marketing while in chapter 11. Remington filed for bankruptcy protection in July and has been open to selling its ammunition and firearms operations to pay off its debt.

The proposed deal outlined in papers filed Tuesday in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Decatur, Ala., covers the design and manufacturing of ammunition sold under the Remington and Barnes Bullets brands and includes production facilities in Arkansas and Utah.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remington-agrees-to-sell-ammunition-business-including-barnes-bullets-for-65-million/

Good grief! I think even I could manage to turn a profit with a well known and respected gun and ammo manufacturing business right now.

• Administrator

I recently bought some ammo in bulk via a friend at a national distributor.  I paid maybe $75 more per 1000 rounds this month than I did back in February.  He told me that Winchester and Fiocchi prices were up nearly 30%, however.  I say this for two reasons:

1. There is still ammo in the supply pipeline.  Where it quickly disappears is at the retail level because people are panic-buying.  Remember when morons depleted the national supply of toilet paper earlier this year?  Same damn thing.

2. The major price increases are also happening at the retail level.  Some retailers are taking advantage of the panic and they are easy to spot (Cheaper Than Dirt?).  Reasonable retailers are just implementing reasonable price increases because they are paying more themselves.  We may see overall significantly higher prices in the future, though, because eventually the ammo that is still reasonably priced at the wholesale level will start going up in price as well.

Last point:   This is the next big problem.  The ammo manufacturers are already feeling it.  We'll see it reflected in retail soon.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/great-primer-shortage-2020/383204

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TGO David said:

Last point:   This is the next big problem.  The ammo manufacturers are already feeling it.  We'll see it reflected in retail soon.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/great-primer-shortage-2020/383204

This is the component I can not make, reuse brass cases, lead for boolits, no worries, hell I can make black powder. Primers for modern center fire ammo is a nogo right now. I do have a fair supply of primers to reload for a bit.

That said I do have the means to make black powder caps, so I could still fire my black powder arms.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Remember these times friends and stock the hell up when prices come back to reality so you won’t be searching the next time (there’s always a next time).

Yep! And now is a great time to buy other things.  Magazines, accessories, even some guns.  People are focusing so much on ammo right now that some retailers are offering smoking-good deals on the other stuff.

• Like 6
  • Moderators

While I’ve still been purchasing ammo (at reasonable prices because I refuse to pay panic prices) I’ve also picked up a bunch of target stands, shot timer, a SIRT gun, dry fire mag, and some electronic targets because I’m going to get serious about my shooting. It’s past time to stop shooting and start training. I’m going to make the ammo I do use count for more than turning money into noise. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Remember these times friends and stock the hell up when prices come back to reality so you won’t be searching the next time (there’s always a next time).

I did that the last time we went through all of this crap. And the time after that. And the time after that. Before the 2008 election of Hussein. After Sandy Hook. After the San Bernardino Muslim shooters. After the Pulse nightclub shooting. After Parkland..... Now I don't care what happens, I'm set. Just under 100 pounds of rimfire for starters. If my house catches fire, you'll hear about it on Fox and CNN. And they'll see the smoke from L.A.

V0FUP1p.jpg

• Like 2