Long range shooting

ROCKCRAWL

1 hour ago, ROCKCRAWL said:

Thoughts on .338, 50 Bmg?

I have a rifle set-up for it, but I don’t have access to anywhere here that I can shoot over 328 yards.

I wouldn’t start out with those “expensive to shoot rounds”, unless you have a reason for doing so. I’d start with the .308 Winchester. It can do 1000 yards and a bunch of low-cost practice ammo is readily available.

Do you have somewhere to shoot? What is "long Range" to you?

• Like 2

I'd go with a 50, everyone likes a 50.

My buddy has a M98 Barrett 338 and a 82A1 with BORS, I sourced the ammo for his 338 and I remember buying it and it was 3x the cost of a 50 round.

I didn't think the 338 shot any better than the 50, the 338 gun was lighter and the ammo costed more $$ and the 50 was a heavy bitch and somewhat reasonable priced ammo.

I liked his 50 so much I bought one, since then I've shot a 107 and it's even better.

My buddy and his gun with my son

49489648088_ed51507b77_c.jpg254681_140320319390194_6533757_n by Johnny Rotten, on Flickr

My daughter with my gun

49310882907_413784d872_k.jpgash by Johnny Rotten, on Flickr

I shoot LR 1250 a good bit and beyond 1250 when I have access.  To me the 50BMG is NICE but not the "king" of LR anymore.  The 375/408 Cheytac, 338LM, 416 Barrett and other "big guns" are super nice for "extended" long range. 

If you are looking to go a mile our just out a little past that I say look into 300PRC or 338LM.  My 300wm is fine out to 1760.  I haven't shot my 338LM out to a mile yet but I am sure that it would make that shot easier.

Look into a few gunsmiths, talk to them, and tell them what you want a rifle to do and go from there. Or go off the shelf with a Barrett MRAD, Accuracy International, or other top shelf company.    If you are on FaceBook look to join the extended long range page and ask questions https://www.facebook.com/ELRCentral/       &   https://www.facebook.com/groups/261263037837539/?fref=nf

https://www.jjrockco.com/

https://www.bugholes.com/

https://www.crescentcustoms.com/

https://www.longriflesinc.com/

Save money for a GOOD scope!

Edited by MikeW

What do you consider long range? I regularly shoot 1250 with a 6.5x55 Swede, chambered in a modern Savage. 50bmg, 416, 375 cheytac & similar 'long range' chamberings are fun, but essentially useless. If you just want to clonk steel at 800+, and I hate myself for saying this,  the 6.5cm is kinda hard to beat, value for money wise. It's not the best, but it's a damn good start. 

If I had to start again right now,  I'd be looking reeeeal hard at a 6.5prc

Edited by Handsome Rob
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I'd go with a 50, everyone likes a 50.

My buddy has a M98 Barrett 338 and a 82A1 with BORS, I sourced the ammo for his 338 and I remember buying it and it was 3x the cost of a 50 round.

I didn't think the 338 shot any better than the 50, the 338 gun was lighter and the ammo costed more $$ and the 50 was a heavy bitch and somewhat reasonable priced ammo.

I liked his 50 so much I bought one, since then I've shot a 107 and it's even better.

My buddy and his gun with my son

49489648088_ed51507b77_c.jpg254681_140320319390194_6533757_n by Johnny Rotten, on Flickr

My daughter with my gun

49310882907_413784d872_k.jpgash by Johnny Rotten, on Flickr

I’ve been looking at the 107 pretty hard.  They seem to be a little more reasonable the the M82A1. 

• Moderators

Gotta agree with Handsome Rob. If you’re just looking at the 1k+/- range, 6.5cr is a great caliber to work with. There’s no need to jump into the headache and expense of the ELR guns and calibers if you’re not actually shooting ELR. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Gotta agree with Handsome Rob. If you’re just looking at the 1k+/- range, 6.5cr is a great caliber to work with. There’s no need to jump into the headache and expense of the ELR guns and calibers if you’re not actually shooting ELR. 

I'm sooooooo changing my name to Handsome Rob right now....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Handsome Rob said:

YOU SHUT YOUR DAMN WHORE MOUTH!!! 

That was the first compliment I've had in 10 years! 

Jeez man, I'm sorry. But like I said, I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually for you...

ETA: I think I heard once that .338 LM can be reloaded in a standard size press, while .50 BMG is too big. Which I think is what COUGHcough...Rob was getting at.

Edited by TomInMN
Trying to avert thread drift.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

Jeez man, I'm sorry. But like I said, I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually for you...

ETA: I think I heard once that .338 LM can be reloaded in a standard size press, while .50 BMG is too big. Which I think is what COUGHcough...Rob was getting at.

*cough-cough*...... yeah. Yeah, that's exactly what I was getting at.... honest.

Also,  find me one other Rob in this thread. Does it hurt you that people might actually think I'm handsome? This is why we can't have children.

You are SOOOO jealous. I don't know why I put up with you.  I should've listened to my mother....

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Interesting.

At least one person thinks what Rob looks like is handsome, and at least one person thinks 1000 yards is not long range.

I keep waiting for someone to say "220, 221 whatever it takes".

Why wait? Some guy on here said follow though is important. (Im drawing a blank. I think he's new, never seen his name before. I think it's one of those internet names that doesn't make any sense...)

• Haha 1