Long range shooting

ROCKCRAWL

I regularly shoot distances 400 to > 1000 yards with everything from heavy 5.56 to .50. I will say that bang for buck and less punishing recoil .308 and 6.5cm are my two go too rounds. The question I would ask is how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? Accuracy is consistency so while a larger sexier caliber might seem better on paper, does it matter at the end of the day if you end up teaching yourself to flinch everytime you pull the trigger. Personally I would start with a proven platform such as a weatherby / Rem 700, etc and see what you do up to 400. Then make a new set of decisions from there. You can take an action and re-barrel. You can adjust stock, glass bed, play with optics. It's been my experience that most decent factory rifles can outperform there owners especially while learning the ins and outs of "longer then usual distance" shooting.

• Like 1

I regularly shoot my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1250 yards.  When I purchased the first gen platform I was able to get it (two of them) for $900.  They've come up in price since then but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more economical platform to get started with.  $800 for a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 optic.  Another $60 for the rings.  $300 for an Atlas bi-pod.  That's my platform.  In addition I have the SiCo Omega suppressor, a rear bag, and I'm good with match grade Hornady or Winchester ammo.

I also have a Sig 716 in .308 but I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor RPR bolt gun.

I'm hearing Savage is making a quality economical platform, but I have no first hand experience behind the gun.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2020 at 5:24 PM, Handsome Rob said:

What do you consider long range? I regularly shoot 1250 with a 6.5x55 Swede, chambered in a modern Savage. 50bmg, 416, 375 cheytac & similar 'long range' chamberings are fun, but essentially useless. If you just want to clonk steel at 800+, and I hate myself for saying this,  the 6.5cm is kinda hard to beat, value for money wise. It's not the best, but it's a damn good start. 

If I had to start again right now,  I'd be looking reeeeal hard at a 6.5prc

This.  CM hard to beat and will get you to around 1400 super sonic. Hornady gunner 140gr has been good and is about. 80 per round. 6.5 PRC would be nice, but not enough loaded ammo choices and pricing for my preference. 

I shoot weekly long range (just got back from shooting my 224 valk out to 1100 yards this morning).  The 6.5 Creedmoor is easy mode for starting out, the heavies like the Cheytac or the 50 would be like telling a new driver to go get a ferrari or an F1 car, its ridiculous and would be insane to actually learn on.  

I shoot 6BR and 6.5cm occasionally 224valk or 308 if i want to go gas.  The 6.5cm is nice because you can find an assortment of preloaded match grade ammo, the 224 valk is nice because if you reload it takes 24gr of powder vs 40ish for the 308 and the 6.5s plus cheaper more readily available bullets.  The 6BR for 1000 and under is amazing uses very little powder and crazy brass and barrel life (but you have to reload). The 6 creedmoor is a great cartridge but just like the 243 is a barrel burner.

You should probably get up to speed on reloading if you want to be serious about LR

Also I would invite you to head over to snipershide lots of good information used gear and even online lessons.