My friend has Covid 19 symptoms. How can she get tested ASAP?

jgradyc

My friend is a flight attendant who returned from a round trip from Amsterdam Sunday. Today, she started showing symptoms: cough, fever 100.3, and headache. She called her crewmates and some also have symptoms. 

She's been on hold for 2 hours at Vanderbilt as I type this.  Any suggestions on how she can get tested ASAP?

Her symptoms are mild so far, but I'm in self-quarantine until she gets results since we worked out together Monday and Tuesday.

Edited by jgradyc
8 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

We're both in excellent health, but I'm concerned about my wife who is in a high risk category... age and breathing issues.

Your wife needs to stay away from you and other people. Call your doctor immediately. Get tested and have your wife get tested. Do not go out in public until you talk to your doctor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where are you located?  The Vanderbilt Walk-in clinics are conducting the test. I went to the Melrose location yesterday. It did take about 4.5 hours.  If you go, go early. Yesterday they said they tested about 90-95% of the patients. With the symptoms listed and flight travel, I would bet they will test you. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

Thanks, everyone.

So what happened?

A week ago they said 1700 software engineers at Google was working on a web site where you could answers questions and get referred to a place to get tested. Normally I would think that would take 2 or 3 web designers maybe a week.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

So what happened?

A week ago they said 1700 software engineers at Google was working on a web site where you could answers questions and get referred to a place to get tested. Normally I would think that would take 2 or 3 web designers maybe a week.

And right after that announcement Google said they have no idea about that ...

3 hours ago, jgradyc said:

My friend is a flight attendant who returned from a round trip from Amsterdam Sunday. Today, she started showing symptoms: cough, fever 100.3, and headache. She called her crewmates and some also have symptoms. 

She's been on hold for 2 hours at Vanderbilt as I type this.  Any suggestions on how she can get tested ASAP?

Her symptoms are mild so far, but I'm in self-quarantine until she gets results since we worked out together Monday and Tuesday.

If she's a flight attendant, wouldn't her employer have guidance on what to do in this situation?

4 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

If she's a flight attendant, wouldn't her employer have guidance on what to do in this situation?

It wouldn’t hurt to contact the FA supervisor or FA union (unless she works for Delta... no union). Depending on the company, they can have a wealth of resources. I’m a pilot, but my company’s guidance is essentially to self-quarantine and call my doctor. They do offer any assistance as needed though.

She's better this morning and trying to get tested but getting a run around from walk in clinics and the hot lines. She's in line at Vandy Belle Meade Walk In right now. 

This is a total goat rope. Meanwhile, I'm showing no temp and no signs except for burning eyes. I'm disinfecting the house and moving to the basement level today to protect my wife. 

She was on hold on the hot line for FIVE HOURS! The system can't handle the volume. 

Edited by jgradyc
Added on hold on hot line

Update: She was swabbed at Vanderbilt Walk In Clinic in Belle Meade at 8:30 this morning and told results will be in 2-3 days. I strongly suspect she will test positive. 

On the same subject, she is MUCH better this morning. We both take supplements to boost immune system and she upped her dosage when she started to get symptoms.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just called my friend. Other than feeling achy and the occasional cough, she sounds back to normal. That's amazing considering that she was thinking about going to ER 24 hours ago. 

I think this speaks volumes for taking supplements to keep your immune system strong, which she and I do. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jgradyc said:

I just called my friend. Other than feeling achy and the occasional cough, she sounds back to normal. That's amazing considering that she was thinking about going to ER 24 hours ago. 

I think this speaks volumes for taking supplements to keep your immune system strong, which she and I do. 

What supplements do you take?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

What supplements do you take?

First, my friend was almost completely back to normal yesterday afternoon. We talked for 10 minutes and except for one small cough, she sounded fine and said she felt fine. She is 61 and takes even more supplements than I do.

I used to get flu/colds 2-3 times every winter and they would last 1-2 weeks. Now, I get the flu once a year and it lasts for only 2-3 days. I'm 72. 

I take vitamin C, zinc, krill oil, astazanthin, PQQ, echinacea, tart cherry extract, and Lauricidin daily. I get most of these from Life Extension dot com, but zinc, C, and Omega 3 oil (krill oil is a type of omega 3 oil) are available at Walmart.

Edited to say: Are sold at Walmart. I don't know if they are still in stock. I usually buy C and Krill Oil at Costco, but I'm not going there.

Edited by jgradyc

Took 79 hours to get my results. (Tested Wednesday at 17:00 and received results today at 0:37)  Positive (yea). I am not totally surprised I am positive. My wife was tested Positive back on March 11. I have had even less symptoms than she did.

Basically last Wednesday I cut the yard and afterward had that blah feeling you get when you know you are coming down with a cold or a mild flu. My temp was slightly elevated. With the situation of our household, I went in to the Vanderbilt Walk-in to be tested. That took 4.5 hours of waiting during which I slept in the car. By the time they called me, my temp was normal. Since Thursday morning I have felt fine.

Such an odd virus that makes some Folks so sick and some barely notice (fingers crossed nothing changes for me). 

Demographically, I am 50 (51 this coming Saturday ) in decent health. I was treated for Hodgkins Lymphoma back in 2001-2002 but I feel I am fully immune system recovered.

I hope your friend is doing well and continues to do well. Remind them to set up their Myhealthatvanderbilt account to get their results. 

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 7