My friend has Covid 19 symptoms. How can she get tested ASAP?

jgradyc

On 3/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, Snaveba said:

"Demographically, I am 50 (51 this coming Saturday ) in decent health. I was treated for Hodgkins Lymphoma back in 2001-2002 but I feel I am fully immune system recovered."

Congratulations from one survivor to another! Glad to hear you are doing good.

My tale started 03/2008 and officially ended 05/2010 with the "Remission" word at my Doc's office at Sara Cannon.

Like you say< I feel, and I'm told Immune system in good shape, but since then, I seem to get every bug that wanders thru town. Like jgradyc, take lots of vitamins to go with my BP meds. I can really tell a difference if I go off them for some reason. As in feeling cocky and getting berated by my wife for not keeping up with them. Multi, B complex, C, D3, and fish oil. 

Will be checking into some of jgradyc's supplements as well now.

Edited by hipower
13 hours ago, hipower said:

Congratulations from one survivor to another! Glad to hear you are doing good.

My tale started 03/2008 and officially ended 05/2010 with the "Remission" word at my Doc's office at Sara Cannon.

Originally diagnosed asymptotically in 1999. Did the usual ABVD coarse w/radiation through Tennessee Oncology and Sara Cannon.

I got the call on 9/11 that my latest CT scan showed something, did a PET and found out it reoccurred. Did high-dose chemo with an autogolous stem cell transplant at Vandy in early 2002. Been good ever since.

Glad to heat you are doing well from it as well. 

On 3/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, Snaveba said:

Took 79 hours to get my results. (Tested Wednesday at 17:00 and received results today at 0:37)  Positive (yea). I am not totally surprised I am positive. My wife was tested Positive back on March 11. I have had even less symptoms than she did.

Basically last Wednesday I cut the yard and afterward had that blah feeling you get when you know you are coming down with a cold or a mild flu. My temp was slightly elevated. With the situation of our household, I went in to the Vanderbilt Walk-in to be tested. That took 4.5 hours of waiting during which I slept in the car. By the time they called me, my temp was normal. Since Thursday morning I have felt fine.

Such an odd virus that makes some Folks so sick and some barely notice (fingers crossed nothing changes for me). 

Demographically, I am 50 (51 this coming Saturday ) in decent health. I was treated for Hodgkins Lymphoma back in 2001-2002 but I feel I am fully immune system recovered.

I hope your friend is doing well and continues to do well. Remind them to set up their Myhealthatvanderbilt account to get their results. 

You tested Wedneday at 1700 and got results Sunday at 0037... 79 hours later. She tested Friday at 0930 and still no results as I type this... 103 hours and counting. She checks her Vandy account every 4 hours. 

It makes me wonder how bad it really is in Tennessee when there's a 4-day backlog of test results.

EDITED TO ADD... She's still weak and had a brief relapse this morning, but she's feeling better again now.

Edited by jgradyc
53 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

You tested Wedneday at 1700 and got results Sunday at 0037... 79 hours later. She tested Friday at 0930 and still no results as I type this... 103 hours and counting. She checks her Vandy account every 4 hours. 

It makes me wonder how bad it really is in Tennessee when there's a 4-day backlog of test results.

EDITED TO ADD... She's still weak and had a brief relapse this morning, but she's feeling better again now.

If it makes you fee any better, my daughter was tested on Friday morning as well and still does not have results. She was told 3 days.  I spoke to someone at Vandy today and they are not telling patients 5-7 days.  I hope it is not that much longer. 

I hope your friend continues to improve. We were definitely lucky in our household and it has been mostly mild for us. My wife is still fatigued, but not as much as she was. We all have the odd symptom of a very dulled sense of smell and taste. 

UPDATE: My friend tested on Friday 0830 March 20. Today is March 28 and still no results back yet. All I can guess is that hospital admissions and ER testing is getting priority over walk-in clinics. 

My friend is almost back to normal... an occasional cough and a slight feeling of shortness of breath. 

• Like 1

My daughter still does not have her results either. Once the results are  sent to The Health Dept  they should call to check. It took 3 days for them to call me. The current guidelines are to release the patient from quarantine after 7 days with out symptoms. Fever being the main symptom I believe they are using.

I've talked with several people who were mildly sick and have been tested. 10-14 days seems to be the typical turn-around time.

Which means that all this data people keep throwing around and drawing unsubstantiated conclusions against is at least 2 weeks old.  

I saw a graph the other day that suggested the positive test rate is only 15%.  So 85% of sick people test negative. Interesting. 

Just now, DaveTN said:

What did they tell her when she called them on the phone?

They told her at Vanderbilt that if she didn't have results after 14 days, she could call the test lab directly. I assume she will do that today. Of course, it's Sunday so she might not get a person today.

• Like 1