Any experience with CCR Dusk finish?

Looking for opinions on CCR's Dusk finish; I'm putting together a 2011 and considering nitride, DLC, and maybe Dusk.  It appears to be an NP3 coating that is colored black.  I haven't found much in terms of reviews, other than one comment on a different forum that the coloring wears off quickly.  As far as the NP3, as I understand it that is the most durable finish of all, even better than DLC.  

I already know that CCR is highly regarded for their work; just looking for experience with this particular finish.

• 3 months later...

Well I guess I'll answer my own question in case anybody else is considering Cummings Custom Refinishing. I went by his shop and he had a pistol with his CP II electroless nickel finish on the frame and his Dusk finish on the slide. Both looked great. The Dusk reminded me of the color/sheen of bluing but had sort of a deeper, smokier look. It was very smooth and uniform, as was the nickel finish. 

I ended up deciding on CCR's OD green Cera Hide finish on the frame of the 2011 I'm building and it looks amazing.  I had it back in a week and a half.  He parkerized it prior  to applying the Cera Hide.  It looks flawless and I'm very happy with how it turned out. 

• Like 1

This is it so far.  I did the slide to frame fitting, hand-fit all the other parts and test fired it before I had the frame coated.  I'm going to send the barrel, grip safety,  thumb safety,  slide stop lever, and hammer off to be nitrided.  I was going to nitride the slide but I'm tempted to have it coated in the OD green.

4503.jpeg

Very nice! If possible, show the finished piece as well. I don't usually care for anything approximating OD on a handgun, but I must say this looks pretty good. This shows a smoother, almost satin look in the pic.

I have a Springer 1911 with factory OD on it. Ugly, ugly color. lol But a great 1911.

I got the idea from OD green and black Wilson Combat 1911s that I've seen that I thought looked nice. The CCR OD green definitely has a satin sheen to it. I was able to look at a sample beforehand and really liked it.  He has a "garrison gray" that I was interested in as well but he didn't have a sample in his shop. 

All of the parts I started with were bare carbon steel so there were lots of possibilities for coatings/treatments.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/25/2020 at 9:45 AM, hipower said:

Very nice! If possible, show the finished piece as well. I don't usually care for anything approximating OD on a handgun, but I must say this looks pretty good. This shows a smoother, almost satin look in the pic.

I have a Springer 1911 with factory OD on it. Ugly, ugly color. lol But a great 1911.

Finally done. I got the frame coated by CCR as mentioned and the nitrided parts were sent off to Primary Machine.  It went back together fine and functions with snap caps. If it doesn't rain I'll try a few hundred rounds through it this weekend.  This has definitely been harder than building ARs.

20200821_213354_compress70.jpg

Well I have to say it certainly looks good. Now I hope you get to try it out this weekend.

I'm still undecided on a railed 1911 though. lol I know it has greater function, but I guess in this I'm a hard core old school guy. I still lean towards tradition frame looks.

7 hours ago, hipower said:

Well I have to say it certainly looks good. Now I hope you get to try it out this weekend.

I'm still undecided on a railed 1911 though. lol I know it has greater function, but I guess in this I'm a hard core old school guy. I still lean towards tradition frame looks.

Well technically it's a 2011 since it's a double stack.  That makes a rail more acceptable, right?

• Like 2