Background checks

bigun

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT/AP) -- Just as grocery stores have been stripped bare by Americans panicked by coronavirus, guns and ammo have been flying off the shelves too.

The spike in gun sales has had an impact in Tennessee, too. On Thursday, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said the website used to run background checks for firearm sales experienced a delay due to the spike in gun and ammo sales, limited staffing due to the pandemic and a technical issue.

"Today, TICS experienced an uncharacteristic delay in processing transactions as a result of three things: a sharp increase in background check requests in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, limited staff access to TBI facilities as a result of the pandemic, and an approximately one-hour, unplanned outage in the technical connection needed to run these background checks," said a TBI spokesperson.

One store, Indian Springs Armory, noticed the outage and posted about it on social media.

Indian Springs said the service was back online by around 10 p.m.

TBI said they were working to adjust employee schedules to keep up with the demand and to get background checks performed adequately and quickly.

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/568948941.html

• Like 1

Okay thanks. that's what I thought might have happened. Apparently there has been a run on gun stores.. I saw on the news this morning most of them were first time buyers. I guess a lot of the anti-gun people have decided they needed someway to protect their TP

11 minutes ago, bigun said:

I saw on the news this morning most of them were first time buyers.

I’m curious how anyone would know if I’m a first time gun buyer? :confused:

I’d like to see the monthly numbers of BG checks, but from their website it appears they won’t be posted until next year.

Edited by DaveTN

While there may be heavy volume due to the current situations we face, I experienced a 1-2 hr delay in a BG check in Oct or Nov '19.  The dealer stated it had been slow all day long, and he guesstimated a 1-2 hr delay.  It ended up being about 75 minutes IIRC.  There was nothing special going on that day that I remember.  Sometimes, computers just have a work slow down. 

Went to Crossroads Firearms today and bought a Smith M617. Four or so people waiting for checks to come back. I filled the form out and said to call me when it came back. He put it in and got an instant decision for me. Said others were taking a few hours.