Handgun carry in a horse

loadedp3at

Take a look at any old western... OWB holster with stampede string... Rifle n shotgun... Saddle scabbard or thimble...Again, look at old " period " photos... By the way... Horses n mules dont like for ya to shoot across their ears... Be prepared to be bucked off if ya do...  They have to be trained to the shot noise and it aint easy...  Some of my old buddes were horseback bird hunters.   They always dismounted to shoot, and we are talkin about the reason why now.

leroy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/23/2020 at 2:03 PM, loadedp3at said:

Just wondering, revolver or semi and what kind of caliber? Just casual trail riding in the mountains mostly. Feel free to be specific... Barrel length and other.

I'm responding to your original post; don't care regarding any responses or advice given prior to my response. First, your horse has to be prepared for the retort of your gun fire, I would suggest you you look into how to train your horse to handle it. There are multiple resources regarding horse and and rodeo, look into it. I have neither the desire or inclination to do your home work. Second, a single action revolver is your best option due to the fail safes afforded by the mechanism. It will protect you you and your steed in the long run. I believe your inquiry is noble and has merit. Taking advantage of your second amendment right is paramount; doing it atop a horse requires a great deal of preparation and training that I cannot give you. Happy trails and best of luck

https://www.fivestarranch.com/training/mounted-shooting/

here is one of many tutorials for your consideration

Best Regards

Rod

• Like 2

I am wondering how telling about training my horse has to do with the caliber of style of gun people would prefer to have. I did not ask for you to do any homework. Do you know that my horse is use to gun fire and has been shot off of and around? The only thing in the post that relates to the topic is the single action but not caliber. Thanks for the input.

23 hours ago, rodteague said:

I'm responding to your original post; don't care regarding any responses or advice given prior to my response. First, your horse has to be prepared for the retort of your gun fire, I would suggest you you look into how to train your horse to handle it. There are multiple resources regarding horse and and rodeo, look into it. I have neither the desire or inclination to do your home work. Second, a single action revolver is your best option due to the fail safes afforded by the mechanism. It will protect you you and your steed in the long run. I believe your inquiry is noble and has merit. Taking advantage of your second amendment right is paramount; doing it atop a horse requires a great deal of preparation and training that I cannot give you. Happy trails and best of luck

https://www.fivestarranch.com/training/mounted-shooting/

here is one of many tutorials for your consideration

Best Regards

Rod

• Wow 1
1 minute ago, loadedp3at said:

I am wondering how telling about training my horse has to do with the caliber of style of gun people would prefer to have. I did not ask for you to do any homework. Do you know that my horse is use to gun fire and has been shot off of and around? The only thing in the post that relates to the topic is the single action but not caliber. Thanks for the input.

Didn't mean to offend you; if your horse is trained and used to gun fire so be it. The size of the cartridge won't matter to it. I suggested a SA revolver; a lot of SASS riders shoot 38 special loaded down because it's easier to manage while on horse back. If you haven't already, you might try browsing their forum and see what they are shooting specifically. I was a member of SASS many years ago, but never fully embraced it. Best of luck to you.

Regards

Rod

2 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

That is nice. How plentiful is ammo and and how expensive?

This gun runs in the mid 700s I believe.  

With regards to ammo, 45 Colt is very plentiful.  I reload easily and cheaply, but also have a few defensive loads I've bought from the store.  45 Colt is very versatile with a long history.

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming, from your opening post, that you are asking this from a standpoint of practicality and NOT just to look cool..... correct?

I have ridden and shot from horseback for over 25 years and still ride about twice a week.  RULE #1 is.…..

Make sure the horse is broke to gunfire from his back.  If not, the outcome could be worse than the threat of what you are needing protection from. I won't get into tips on breaking them to this but it's crucial.

Once that is accomplished, remember that the horse will not give you as steady of a base to fire from as you would have on foot so the longer the barrel the better.  Sometimes I like to have a rifle slung over my back due to this and it affords best chance of hit.  If you want a side arm for closer protection, most anything you would carry on foot would work.  Personally, I stay away from snub nose revolvers (again, due to short barrel) and go for a bit more barrel.  I have been carrying a Glock 20 (10mm) lately, but that changes based on my mood that day, ha.

Again, remember Rule #1.

Enjoy......

Second the rule # 1 of previous post. My daughter was under her horse while picking it's feet when a man, 200 yards away, opened up with a 45. The horse almost stepped on my daughter. Make sure to train the horse for pistol fire. 

I'll second the .45 Colt. Its a great cartridge and very versatile, especially if you reload. It can go anywhere from mild to wild. Properly loaded its suitable for anything up to and including black bear. 

I'm also a big fan of the .44 Special for the same reasons. However, guns to fit your needs in .45 Colt are much more readily available. 

• 1 month later...

Would it be more practical to to quickly dismount, (and I have no idea what that looks like) and pull a rifle from a scabbard be an option?

The horse is moving, you are moving, your target is most likely moving, getting hits on target in important places with a pistol may be extremely difficult.

Once the gunfire starts, how much more will your horse and threat be moving?

I am clueless, my vast experience with horses and gunfights comes from the silver screen.

If legal, why not a lever action something?

Looks way less threatening to others.

Does have a cool factor.

As it is not a scoped, traditional hunting caliber rifle, so no real hassles from .gov agencies if stopped and frisked.

Another thought, if you dismount and neutralize the threat, would your horse run off from the gunfire? If so, how much walking would you anticipate?

Is it easier to shoot a handgun or carbine from the saddle?

It's looks equally easy for the goods guys as it is difficult for the bad guys, so you got that going for you.

• Like 1

You mentioned black bear and men. 

I would think the Speed Six you mentioned would be just fine. I would probably want it in a hunting type chest rig/holster.

Ideally, I would want a .45Colt Single Action Army with max loads FOR A COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY (255gr LFN @ roughly 1000fps). Along with a Winchester 94 Carbine in a rifle scabbard (vertical near the saddle horn, not horizontal underneath the saddlebags). And if concerned about snakes, one of those muzzleloading double barrel 12 or 20 gauge shotguns with pistol grip only and 6-8 inch barrels in a saddle holster.

Edit to add: 4 3/4” barrel on the revolver for quicker draw, maybe 5 1/2” if you’re ok with a slower draw but longer sight radius. I feel the 7 1/2” would be just too much to carry/draw but would be best for sight radius/power/accuracy. Might keep a 4 3/4” in the holster on your chest and. 7 1/2” in the saddle holster.

Edited by nightrunner

I've known a few people who do carry anywhere and everywhere they can. I generally don't carry my gun anymore since cops here will go out of their way to harass you around here if you do and few if any of them know any of the firearms rules/regulations as they apply to citizens. The local government in my county is of the opinion that only police and other law enforcement agents should be carrying around firearms outside of designated shooting areas so you have to be VERY careful about where you carry your gun. cpstest

Edited by MarkWylie
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 12:59 PM, nightrunner said:

You mentioned black bear and men. 

I would think the Speed Six you mentioned would be just fine. I would probably want it in a hunting type chest rig/holster.

Ideally, I would want a .45Colt Single Action Army with max loads FOR A COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY (255gr LFN @ roughly 1000fps). Along with a Winchester 94 Carbine in a rifle scabbard (vertical near the saddle horn, not horizontal underneath the saddlebags). And if concerned about snakes, one of those muzzleloading double barrel 12 or 20 gauge shotguns with pistol grip only and 6-8 inch barrels in a saddle holster.

Edit to add: 4 3/4” barrel on the revolver for quicker draw, maybe 5 1/2” if you’re ok with a slower draw but longer sight radius. I feel the 7 1/2” would be just too much to carry/draw but would be best for sight radius/power/accuracy. Might keep a 4 3/4” in the holster on your chest and. 7 1/2” in the saddle holster.

On 7/18/2020 at 4:16 PM, A.J. Holst said:

Would it be more practical to to quickly dismount, (and I have no idea what that looks like) and pull a rifle from a scabbard be an option?

The horse is moving, you are moving, your target is most likely moving, getting hits on target in important places with a pistol may be extremely difficult.

Once the gunfire starts, how much more will your horse and threat be moving?

I am clueless, my vast experience with horses and gunfights comes from the silver screen.

If legal, why not a lever action something?

Looks way less threatening to others.

Does have a cool factor.

As it is not a scoped, traditional hunting caliber rifle, so no real hassles from .gov agencies if stopped and frisked.

Another thought, if you dismount and neutralize the threat, would your horse run off from the gunfire? If so, how much walking would you anticipate?

Is it easier to shoot a handgun or carbine from the saddle?

It's looks equally easy for the goods guys as it is difficult for the bad guys, so you got that going for you.

thanks on these two posts. I have since moved up to the 45 acp in a revolver. Still a short barrel though. I need to find a longer barrel gun but just keep trading around on carry guns. The pitbull is a neat revolver though.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...