Coronavirus: The cure can’t be worse than the problem!

DaveTN

2 hours ago, TomInMN said:

So you're saying God will punish those who chose to avoid services in order to help mitigate the chances of exposing their fellow congregants to a potentially deadly disease?

I never said anything of the sort. How about reading what I said instead of putting words in my mouth?

If you don’t see any difference in kids on the beach and Christians worshiping at church, I don’t guess I can help you.

Edited by gregintenn
22 minutes ago, Garufa said:

If CNN has to explain what 6 feet for social distancing is in this manner, we've got far bigger issues than Trump, the dems, the economy, etc.

In case you can't figure out what 6 feet is, well just imagine moose antlers.  🙄

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/six-feet-social-distance-explainer-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

But if theres several meese standing together, what do I do 🙄😁😂

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I never said anything of the sort. How about reading what I said instead of putting words in my mouth?

If you don’t see any difference in kids on the beach and Christians worshiping at church, I don’t guess I can help you.

Greg every time I've been to church I shake no less than 10 hands. I'm not sure the virus knows any difference between the beach and the church. Have you guys at least tried to spread people out in the pews and stop shaking hands? I think God would understand worshipping from the house. My mom's church has switched to an online service where the congregation watches from at home.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Garufa said:

If CNN has to explain what 6 feet for social distancing is in this manner, we've got far bigger issues than Trump, the dems, the economy, etc.

In case you can't figure out what 6 feet is, well just imagine moose antlers.  🙄

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/six-feet-social-distance-explainer-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Not surprising that cnn watcher's would need something like this explained to them.

I believe this virus is just getting started and the number of cases is going to sky rocket in the next few weeks. There's no point in planning weeks in advance when conditions are changing on an hourly basis.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

Damn, I glad I'm retired. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Greg every time I've been to church I shake no less than 10 hands. I'm not sure the virus knows any difference between the beach and the church. Have you guys at least tried to spread people out in the pews and stop shaking hands? I think God would understand worshipping from the house. My mom's church has switched to an online service where the congregation watches from at home.

Where 2 are gathered, I am there. 

It'll be disappointing and strange to celebrate Easter at home, but I fully intend to do so. I (we) can see the sunrise and worship anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Four of us got together last Saturday and recorded our service in an empty church building.

Prayers, readings, sermon, communion meditation, even announcements at the end.  We take communion every week, so we got families communion stuff on Saturday if they needed it.  

Our family sat in the living room and listened and took communion together.  Would I have rather been at church? Yes.  But, it worked okay.

We’ll celebrate when we’re together as a church again. But until then we’ll do the best we can.

If anyone needs help trying to pull this off, give me a shout. Happy to help.  

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

The White House’s stimulus package is now 6 trillion dollars.

I can't even begin to imagine what 6 trillion dollars is. What would that look like in, say, adult cats or moose antlers?

Edited by Dihmsab
  • Haha 1
  • Admin Team
32 minutes ago, Dihmsab said:

I can't even begin to imagine what 6 trillion dollars is. What would that look like in, say, adult cats or moose antlers?

Picture a third of GDP.

Or maybe you’d rather picture roughly 9 Bush/Obama era TARP programs put together?

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Garufa said:

Speaking of actual cures I read earlier today that some genius out in Arizona discovered that aquarium cleaner has some form of chloroquine in it.  He did not survive and his wife is now in stable condition.

5 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

We've seen examples of stupid throughout the years on TGO. This is right up there with them .

The guy might not qualify for a Nobel prize, but he's got an excellent chance for a Darwin Award ...

2 hours ago, Dihmsab said:

The diameter of an average grain of table salt is about .3mm.  If you placed 6 trillion grains of table salt side-by-side, then converted the distance to miles, it would stretch just over 1.1 million miles, or about 4 times the distance from the earth to the moon ...

I would like to go on record to say that I am in the "this is total BS" camp.  I don't know why this has been spun so out of proportion, and all over the world at that.  Sure, I know this is a dangerous virus, and that it has been killing folks, but it is still not rising to the Flu numbers or the H1N1, and this happens every dang year.  There is NEVER a rush to get TP or other supplies each year, so what makes this one so special?  My guess is that the MSM, worldwide apparently, and TPTB have decided a crisis was due, and this was as good as any.  I am not saying that you should not take precautions, especially if you are in one of the high risk categories, but nothing more than your standard precautions should be more than adequate.

Flu:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

2019-2020

390,000 – 710,000 Hospitalizations

23,000 – 59,000 Deaths in the US

H1N1: 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Since they found it in 09' (2009 through 2018)

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/burden-of-h1n1.html

936,000 Hospitalizations

75,000 Deaths in the US

COVID-19 (as of 4pm Yesterday)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Total cases: 44,183

Total deaths: 544

Jurisdictions reporting cases: 54 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Omega said:

I don't know why this has been spun so out of proportion, and all over the world at that.  Sure, I know this is a dangerous virus, and that it has been killing folks, but it is still not rising to the Flu numbers or the H1N1, and this happens every dang year.  There is NEVER a rush to get TP or other supplies each year, so what makes this one so special? 

Probably because its new.  As you pointed out, we live with these other viruses year after year, so we have come to accept that some variant of flu will kill 30-50k of us every year.  This virus is something new, people tend to react strongly to new or rare occurrences of anything.  Look at how we empty the grocery stores every time somebody predicts a 30% chance of snow flurries, a forecast that would be considered spring-like in many parts of the country.  The stats on communicability and mortality point out that the current virus is more likely that the flu to kill certain segments of the population, and the speed and unfamiliarity of this disease has raised the fear factor exponentially ...

23 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

Probably because its new.  As you pointed out, we live with these other viruses year after year, so we have come to accept that some variant of flu will kill 30-50k of us every year.  This virus is something new, people tend to react strongly to new or rare occurrences of anything.  Look at how we empty the grocery stores every time somebody predicts a 30% chance of snow flurries, a forecast that would be considered spring-like in many parts of the country.  The stats on communicability and mortality point out that the current virus is more likely that the flu to kill certain segments of the population, and the speed and unfamiliarity of this disease has raised the fear factor exponentially ...

I would agree if this had happened during the H1N1, or heck any of the others.  There will always be a "new" virus, mother nature is out to get us.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Omega said:

I would like to go on record to say that I am in the "this is total BS" camp.  I don't know why this has been spun so out of proportion, and all over the world at that.  Sure, I know this is a dangerous virus, and that it has been killing folks, but it is still not rising to the Flu numbers or the H1N1, and this happens every dang year.  There is NEVER a rush to get TP or other supplies each year, so what makes this one so special?  My guess is that the MSM, worldwide apparently, and TPTB have decided a crisis was due, and this was as good as any.  I am not saying that you should not take precautions, especially if you are in one of the high risk categories, but nothing more than your standard precautions should be more than adequate.

Flu:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

2019-2020

390,000 – 710,000 Hospitalizations

23,000 – 59,000 Deaths in the US

H1N1: 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

Since they found it in 09' (2009 through 2018)

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/burden-of-h1n1.html

936,000 Hospitalizations

75,000 Deaths in the US

COVID-19 (as of 4pm Yesterday)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Total cases: 44,183

Total deaths: 544

Jurisdictions reporting cases: 54 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)

I would love it if the media would put % deaths of our population in US instead of straight numbers. It would help put things in perspective and stop so much of the fear. Also by State and compare percents with Italy, Spain etc.  Media hype is creating more fear than need be.

So far the death rate per capita in the US is miniscule. I understand the need to keep the Hospitals from being over-run from a spike in the bigger Cities of seriously ill but now that the info is out about elderly and high risk, I think the focus should be to quarantine the hell out of that population until we have a vaccine or this dies down naturally, Then get the Economy back in gear ASAP.

I agree with the Prez on this one. The cure is getting to be worse than the virus itself. Another great depression like the 30s with this generation?

I cant imagine the spike in suicides, violence, riots etc. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

I agree with the Prez on this one. The cure is getting to be worse than the virus itself. Another great depression like the 30s with this generation?

I cant imagine the spike in suicides, violence, riots etc. 

On the flip side it might put an end to a lot of the insane SJW BS. It’s kinda hard to make up 47 new genders when you have real problems, like needing to eat. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Omega said:

I would agree if this had happened during the H1N1, or heck any of the others.  There will always be a "new" virus, mother nature is out to get us.

I think some context is necessary on the numbers you posted.  The time frame for the flu is around 7 months, and people routinely know that warmer months bring fewer cases (hope).  Also, we don't know the total number as most folks get the flu and ride it out without going to the doctor.  H1N1 numbers are from 9 years combined data.  Last, these numbers are from cases that have made full recovery or those that have died(completed cases). 

I think they are giving an incorrect evaluation of numbers, in part, to reduce panic.  You should not assume all current cases of CV will recover.  As of right now, the US has had 919 deaths and 361 recovered patients (70% mortality).  World wide, the mortality rate of "completed" cases is above 15%.   Those are significant.  Johns Hopkins has a running number map that could be worth a look, which is where I viewed these numbers.  https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The other side of this is communicability.  You can spread this virus from day 1 of contact with someone else.  No symptoms required.  Symptoms may not show for 14 days (so they say currently).  The flu incubation is 2-4 days and is difficult to spread without active symptoms.   Natural immune response hasn't been established, either. 

are these numbers accurate?  probably as much as any others out there.  the CDC numbers are quite different, but they also don't list mortality for the US and are from 4pm yesterday.  Should all this require the response and panic?  That's up to somebody else.  I'm not a political or health professional.  But i am concerned about the panic, the high risk folks, and the economy.  

• Admin Team

The math is the truth. Here it is:

• Jan. 14  — 0
• Jan. 21  — 1
• Jan. 28 — 5
• Feb. 4   — 11
• Feb. 11  — 14
• Feb. 18 — 25
• Feb. 25 — 59
• Mar. 3   — 125
• Mar. 10  — 1,004
• Mar. 17  — 5,902
• Mar. 24 — 53,478

These are confirmed cases as of each Tuesday here in America. Notice a pattern?

There are still a bunch of unknowns. We don’t know if mortality here will rival Italy’s. There are a lot of variables. People smoke there a lot more than here. They have more ICU beds per capita than we do. Who knows? We won’t until we have time to look back.

But, on the track we’re on - unless you see those numbers start to go the other way -  I expect that by the end of next month - this will rival a war we’ve not seen in a few generations in terms of casualties.

Everyone is likely to know someone who has died. 

We’re still screwing around playing partisan games and trying to assign blame instead of focusing on scaling testing.

That’s the only thing that’s going that is going to let us start fighting effectively. 

• Like 4