Coronavirus: The cure can’t be worse than the problem!

DaveTN

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I sell Ethernet switches and Software-Defined WAN devices. Neither would really help with VPN bandwidth into the businesses from increased number of WFH employees. The latter could with load-balancing multiple MPLS and broadband connections to their VPN concentrators, but understandably, now is not the time for business to do something radical to their infrastructure unless they were absolutely incapable of sustaining it now. 

And I couldn't stomach Pelosi and Schumer's BS either.

I am so glad you clarified that. I have to admit that my first thought when you said “networking sales“ was “Amway?“ 😆😆

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I got suckered into that crap by my high school music teacher when I was 18. :( 

My wife has spent thousands of dollars trying to make some direct sales makeup thing happen. The only reason I don’t raise too much of a stink about it is because she leaves me alone about my gun purchases. 

• Haha 3
17 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

My wife has spent thousands of dollars trying to make some direct sales makeup thing happen. The only reason I don’t raise too much of a stink about it is because she leaves me alone about my gun purchases. 

Mine got into Tupperware.  I have been courted for many a "business" which I have turned down when I realized that the business model was nothing more than a pyramid scheme.  Any deal which has you making money off the people you bring in is destined to lose you money in the end.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I sell Ethernet switches and Software-Defined WAN devices. Neither would really help with VPN bandwidth into the businesses from increased number of WFH employees. The latter could with load-balancing multiple MPLS and broadband connections to their VPN concentrators, but understandably, now is not the time for business to do something radical to their infrastructure unless they were absolutely incapable of sustaining it now. 

And I couldn't stomach Pelosi and Schumer's BS either.

I know a huge company that only still has people at the office because their inbound connections cannot handle several thousand VPN connections at once to the main location. Issue is as much as what backbone providers will provide in this area as having the hardware to load balance. 

CenturyStink is impossible to get decent service from. Charter and Comcast are a bit better, but can't provide that kind of bandwith. I guess they could move upstream to Level 3, but not sure how much you need before they even talk to you. Fiber in this area is way behind unless you are in a new industrial park.

• Moderators

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/30/river-church-pastor-rodney-howard-browne-arrrest-warrant-coronavirus-social-distancing/

I think this fits in well in the cure vs the disease question. The smart thing absolutely would have been to cancel services. I also suspect that hubris and self aggrandizement were strong motives in holding the services. At the same time, prosecuting someone for holding religious services makes me very, very uncomfortable. That’s dangerous territory to be treading into. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

I know a huge company that only still has people at the office because their inbound connections cannot handle several thousand VPN connections at once to the main location. Issue is as much as what backbone providers will provide in this area as having the hardware to load balance. 

CenturyStink is impossible to get decent service from. Charter and Comcast are a bit better, but can't provide that kind of bandwith. I guess they could move upstream to Level 3, but not sure how much you need before they even talk to you. Fiber in this area is way behind unless you are in a new industrial park.

Yes, much of it is about location and the capacity of the providers. The idea of SD-WAN is to load balance different connections, and ideally, broadband connections from different providers altogether. The whole "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" school of thought. It is well suited to keep minimal traffic on important MPLS links and use the broadband for cloud services.

Level 3 I don't personally hold as better from a technical sense. Those A-holes used to be one of my customers and would have me do their switching solutions. When I applied for the actual position that was always asking me for help they ignored my application. :mad:

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/30/river-church-pastor-rodney-howard-browne-arrrest-warrant-coronavirus-social-distancing/

I think this fits in well in the cure vs the disease question. The smart thing absolutely would have been to cancel services. I also suspect that hubris and self aggrandizement were strong motives in holding the services. At the same time, prosecuting someone for holding religious services makes me very, very uncomfortable. That’s dangerous territory to be treading into. 

I agree the smart thing would have been to cancel but I also and way more concerned about the possible prosecuting.  We are starting to slide on a very slippery slope.  As stated earlier the "Essential" business listing is a relative joke.  We either need to shut down everything or just deal with the consequences.  After reading 3 or 4 essential business list from states, counties, etc I just shook my head.  

• Like 3