Sign in to follow this  
4Freedom

TN Concealed Handgun Licenses with Covid-19 Outbreak

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the TN Department of Safety & Homeland Security will still be processing concealed handgun licenses and if there will be any delays with the Covid-19 outbreak.  I've been meaning to get my CHL earlier, as I completed the 8 hour class and got my certificate.  But, the lines at the DMV could be over 6 hours and I just was too busy to spend all day waiting at the DMV.  Well, after the outbreak, I decided to go to my local DMV in Lebanon last week  and finally was able to apply for my permit and only had to wait 30 minutes.  Hahah, yeah, sad it took a global pandemic to make the DMV more accessible for me.  I then was able to get into fingerprinting literally right after DMV , because the place I had my appointment scheduled moved me in earlier in case they close due to the pandemic.   Well, it has been about a week now and I checked the online status and they definitely have the application, but says the background check is still pending and so is the application review.

So, does anyone have any idea if I will ever see my permit?  I really regret I didn't get it sooner. I also have 3 other CHLs from other states that are valid, so I did have a leniency period that probably is passed now.  I wonder due to the emergency and new laws of 2020 if my out of state permits may be recognized now?     Anyhow, just would really love to get my TN CHL finally and wondering if anyone has any inside knowledge about the situation with TN CHLs now?  

I have heard other less liberated states have shut down all 2nd Amendment related operations, such as gun stores, processing concealed handgun permits, etc.  I am hoping TN will come through for its citizens in a crucial time like this.

• Like 1

By their rules they have 3 months (best memory)  before the pandemic was generally running 3 weeks.  They haven't suspended processing AFAIK, but the FBI may be the hold up.  Just wait it out.

• Like 1

Chill. Nothing is moving quickly because everyone is as jiggy as you are. None of us can begin to guess how the system will work right now. You would be better off in gathering 30 to 60 days of items so you could shelter in place. Just my .02.

• Like 5

Background checks screeched to a halt for 2 ffls here in my area last week. After a little digging they said it was related to the shutdown in Nashville, mayor orders, etc. Whatever it was must have only been temporary. My last renewal took almost a month and that was with nothing going on.

• Like 1

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tdoshscovid19.html

As of yesterday DL facilities were still processing handgun permits. I would assume that means the office that they go to is still working; but you know what happens when you assume.

“The requirement that new Tennessee residents obtaining a Tennessee driver license within 30 days of becoming a resident has been extended to June 17, 2020” No extensions on that requirement are posted for handgun permits. I don’t know if that’s because they haven’t addressed it yet, or if they will.

You can have a gun in your car without a permit. So its anyone’s guess if it became an issue out of your car. As a former cop I would say that would depend on how and why the gun became an issue.

• Like 2

I appreciate everybody here for responding and I am glad to hear they are still doing the processing.  I know other states like Washington, North Carolina, etc stopped doing processing of permits (in NC, some of counties shut down).  I think it is advantageous (only in this situaiton) it is a state agency doing the processing, that just happens to manage Homeland Security, so they won't be shutting down operations.  Of course, nobody can truly know what the outcome will be.

Well, it sounds like even during good times I would still be waiting. I was just reviewing some other posts on the forum in the past where people said their license came in like 9 days.  But, I have read others who said it took weeks.   

Yeah, I know that TN allows you to carry a gun in your car and I have 3 other permits (that are valid, but probably not in TN anymore since I am a resident now), so I kind of slacked on it, as I have bad back  and neck (partially disabled) and waiting for 6 hours in the DMV just wasn't something that was so easy along with juggling a 70hr/work week.  It took 2 attempts (failed the eye exam and had to go to an optometrist where I passed) and 8 hours of waiting just to get my drivers license.  But after pandemic, the wait was reduced to 30 minutes and I give kudos to the fingerprinting place in Mt JUliet that got me in for an immediate appointment.

Anyway, I'll just sit back and wait and hope for the best..   

On 3/25/2020 at 9:51 PM, Raoul said:

Chill. Nothing is moving quickly because everyone is as jiggy as you are. None of us can begin to guess how the system will work right now. You would be better off in gathering 30 to 60 days of items so you could shelter in place. Just my .02.

Ohh,, I am good for about 180 days there or more, even on Toilet paper .. I grew up in the country and just always had the habit of stocking up on food and items.  I was one of the people who was hit by the tornado, as I live along the freeway near Lebanon area.  It just barely whipped by apartment complex, only ripping off some of our metal gates, throwing chairs and bbq grills everywhere and nearly giving me  a heart attack as me and my neighbors prayed in my bathtub as it roared by and shook our building.   So, I am already was in apocalyptic survival mode.  Driving down Leeville Pike today with all the destruction and empty roads felt like I was in a walking dead episode or post-WWIII movie.   

I got an ammo shipment coming tomorrow that I waited weeks before the price gouging. Didn't need any ammo, but figured, what the heck , always could use some more.

RIght now fighting with a business that is struggling because of the pandemic really hit our business bad (as our customers are not going to work and not paying us as much) and I already was in a dying software career.  Now , trying to train myself to see if I can find more work and hoping my decent credit can get me a loan in these rough times.

Thanks again for the input everyone gave me and I am praying for everyone's safety through all these challenges we are facing here.

Edited by 4Freedom
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4Freedom said:

I appreciate everybody here for responding and I am glad to hear they are still doing the processing.  I know other states like Washington, North Carolina, etc stopped doing processing of permits (in NC, some of counties shut down).  I think it is advantageous (only in this situaiton) it is a state agency doing the processing, that just happens to manage Homeland Security, so they won't be shutting down operations.  Of course, nobody can truly know what the outcome will be.

Well, it sounds like even during good times I would still be waiting. I was just reviewing some other posts on the forum in the past where people said their license came in like 9 days.  But, I have read others who said it took weeks.   

Yeah, I know that TN allows you to carry a gun in your car and I have 3 other permits (that are valid, but probably not in TN anymore since I am a resident now), so I kind of slacked on it, as I have bad back  and neck (partially disabled) and waiting for 6 hours in the DMV just wasn't something that was so easy along with juggling a 70hr/work week.  It took 2 attempts (failed the eye exam and had to go to an optometrist where I passed) and 8 hours of waiting just to get my drivers license.  But after pandemic, the wait was reduced to 30 minutes and I give kudos to the fingerprinting place in Mt JUliet that got me in for an immediate appointment.

Anyway, I'll just sit back and wait and hope for the best..   

Ohh,, I am good for about 180 days there or more, even on Toilet paper .. I grew up in the country and just always had the habit of stocking up on food and items.  I was one of the people who was hit by the tornado, as I live along the freeway near Lebanon area.  It just barely whipped by apartment complex, only ripping off some of our metal gates, throwing chairs and bbq grills everywhere and nearly giving me  a heart attack as me and my neighbors prayed in my bathtub as it roared by and shook our building.   So, I am already was in apocalyptic survival mode.  Driving down Leeville Pike today with all the destruction and empty roads felt like I was in a walking dead episode or post-WWIII movie.   

I got an ammo shipment coming tomorrow that I waited weeks before the price gouging. Didn't need any ammo, but figured, what the heck , always could use some more.

RIght now fighting with a business that is struggling because of the pandemic really hit our business bad (as our customers are not going to work and not paying us as much) and I already was in a dying software career.  Now , trying to train myself to see if I can find more work and hoping my decent credit can get me a loan in these rough times.

Thanks again for the input everyone gave me and I am praying for everyone's safety through all these challenges we are facing here.

I would only add that learning to reload would fit in nicely with your mindset.. Good luck and hope that business picks up. It's a great joy and a burden being self employed. Been that way for 30 years myself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Raoul said:

I would only add that learning to reload would fit in nicely with your mindset.. Good luck and hope that business picks up. It's a great joy and a burden being self employed. Been that way for 30 years myself.

Raoul, reloading is on my Todo list!! Attempted to get a reloading setup in the past, but the stress of life and job  and limited finances kind of had me put it off. I even have a bunch of books on reloading.    Oh well, hopefully in the near future in a post-pandemic world. 🙂  I even own a couple guns where reloading would be very advantageous.

9 minutes ago, 4Freedom said:

Raoul, reloading is on my Todo list!! Attempted to get a reloading setup in the past, but the stress of life and job  and limited finances kind of had me put it off. I even have a bunch of books on reloading.    Oh well, hopefully in the near future in a post-pandemic world. 🙂  I even own a couple guns where reloading would be very advantageous.

I recommend a reloading partner. My shooting partner and I reload everything except .22. Funny aside...O'bummer was the best thing that ever happened to me with regards to shooting. My reloading buddy and I picked up all the brass we could and sold it by the thousand. It's possible that at my age we might still have enough components to keep us shooting until my children sell the guns after I pass....lol