TN Concealed Handgun Licenses with Covid-19 Outbreak

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the TN Department of Safety & Homeland Security will still be processing concealed handgun licenses and if there will be any delays with the Covid-19 outbreak.  I've been meaning to get my CHL earlier, as I completed the 8 hour class and got my certificate.  But, the lines at the DMV could be over 6 hours and I just was too busy to spend all day waiting at the DMV.  Well, after the outbreak, I decided to go to my local DMV in Lebanon last week  and finally was able to apply for my permit and only had to wait 30 minutes.  Hahah, yeah, sad it took a global pandemic to make the DMV more accessible for me.  I then was able to get into fingerprinting literally right after DMV , because the place I had my appointment scheduled moved me in earlier in case they close due to the pandemic.   Well, it has been about a week now and I checked the online status and they definitely have the application, but says the background check is still pending and so is the application review.

So, does anyone have any idea if I will ever see my permit?  I really regret I didn't get it sooner. I also have 3 other CHLs from other states that are valid, so I did have a leniency period that probably is passed now.  I wonder due to the emergency and new laws of 2020 if my out of state permits may be recognized now?     Anyhow, just would really love to get my TN CHL finally and wondering if anyone has any inside knowledge about the situation with TN CHLs now?  

I have heard other less liberated states have shut down all 2nd Amendment related operations, such as gun stores, processing concealed handgun permits, etc.  I am hoping TN will come through for its citizens in a crucial time like this.

• Like 1

Chill. Nothing is moving quickly because everyone is as jiggy as you are. None of us can begin to guess how the system will work right now. You would be better off in gathering 30 to 60 days of items so you could shelter in place. Just my .02.

• Like 6

Background checks screeched to a halt for 2 ffls here in my area last week. After a little digging they said it was related to the shutdown in Nashville, mayor orders, etc. Whatever it was must have only been temporary. My last renewal took almost a month and that was with nothing going on.

• Like 1

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tdoshscovid19.html

As of yesterday DL facilities were still processing handgun permits. I would assume that means the office that they go to is still working; but you know what happens when you assume.

“The requirement that new Tennessee residents obtaining a Tennessee driver license within 30 days of becoming a resident has been extended to June 17, 2020” No extensions on that requirement are posted for handgun permits. I don’t know if that’s because they haven’t addressed it yet, or if they will.

You can have a gun in your car without a permit. So its anyone’s guess if it became an issue out of your car. As a former cop I would say that would depend on how and why the gun became an issue.

• Like 2

I appreciate everybody here for responding and I am glad to hear they are still doing the processing.  I know other states like Washington, North Carolina, etc stopped doing processing of permits (in NC, some of counties shut down).  I think it is advantageous (only in this situaiton) it is a state agency doing the processing, that just happens to manage Homeland Security, so they won't be shutting down operations.  Of course, nobody can truly know what the outcome will be.

Well, it sounds like even during good times I would still be waiting. I was just reviewing some other posts on the forum in the past where people said their license came in like 9 days.  But, I have read others who said it took weeks.   

Yeah, I know that TN allows you to carry a gun in your car and I have 3 other permits (that are valid, but probably not in TN anymore since I am a resident now), so I kind of slacked on it, as I have bad back  and neck (partially disabled) and waiting for 6 hours in the DMV just wasn't something that was so easy along with juggling a 70hr/work week.  It took 2 attempts (failed the eye exam and had to go to an optometrist where I passed) and 8 hours of waiting just to get my drivers license.  But after pandemic, the wait was reduced to 30 minutes and I give kudos to the fingerprinting place in Mt JUliet that got me in for an immediate appointment.

Anyway, I'll just sit back and wait and hope for the best..   

On 3/25/2020 at 9:51 PM, Raoul said:

Chill. Nothing is moving quickly because everyone is as jiggy as you are. None of us can begin to guess how the system will work right now. You would be better off in gathering 30 to 60 days of items so you could shelter in place. Just my .02.

Ohh,, I am good for about 180 days there or more, even on Toilet paper .. I grew up in the country and just always had the habit of stocking up on food and items.  I was one of the people who was hit by the tornado, as I live along the freeway near Lebanon area.  It just barely whipped by apartment complex, only ripping off some of our metal gates, throwing chairs and bbq grills everywhere and nearly giving me  a heart attack as me and my neighbors prayed in my bathtub as it roared by and shook our building.   So, I am already was in apocalyptic survival mode.  Driving down Leeville Pike today with all the destruction and empty roads felt like I was in a walking dead episode or post-WWIII movie.   

I got an ammo shipment coming tomorrow that I waited weeks before the price gouging. Didn't need any ammo, but figured, what the heck , always could use some more.

RIght now fighting with a business that is struggling because of the pandemic really hit our business bad (as our customers are not going to work and not paying us as much) and I already was in a dying software career.  Now , trying to train myself to see if I can find more work and hoping my decent credit can get me a loan in these rough times.

Thanks again for the input everyone gave me and I am praying for everyone's safety through all these challenges we are facing here.

Edited by 4Freedom
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, 4Freedom said:

I appreciate everybody here for responding and I am glad to hear they are still doing the processing.  I know other states like Washington, North Carolina, etc stopped doing processing of permits (in NC, some of counties shut down).  I think it is advantageous (only in this situaiton) it is a state agency doing the processing, that just happens to manage Homeland Security, so they won't be shutting down operations.  Of course, nobody can truly know what the outcome will be.

Well, it sounds like even during good times I would still be waiting. I was just reviewing some other posts on the forum in the past where people said their license came in like 9 days.  But, I have read others who said it took weeks.   

Yeah, I know that TN allows you to carry a gun in your car and I have 3 other permits (that are valid, but probably not in TN anymore since I am a resident now), so I kind of slacked on it, as I have bad back  and neck (partially disabled) and waiting for 6 hours in the DMV just wasn't something that was so easy along with juggling a 70hr/work week.  It took 2 attempts (failed the eye exam and had to go to an optometrist where I passed) and 8 hours of waiting just to get my drivers license.  But after pandemic, the wait was reduced to 30 minutes and I give kudos to the fingerprinting place in Mt JUliet that got me in for an immediate appointment.

Anyway, I'll just sit back and wait and hope for the best..   

Ohh,, I am good for about 180 days there or more, even on Toilet paper .. I grew up in the country and just always had the habit of stocking up on food and items.  I was one of the people who was hit by the tornado, as I live along the freeway near Lebanon area.  It just barely whipped by apartment complex, only ripping off some of our metal gates, throwing chairs and bbq grills everywhere and nearly giving me  a heart attack as me and my neighbors prayed in my bathtub as it roared by and shook our building.   So, I am already was in apocalyptic survival mode.  Driving down Leeville Pike today with all the destruction and empty roads felt like I was in a walking dead episode or post-WWIII movie.   

I got an ammo shipment coming tomorrow that I waited weeks before the price gouging. Didn't need any ammo, but figured, what the heck , always could use some more.

RIght now fighting with a business that is struggling because of the pandemic really hit our business bad (as our customers are not going to work and not paying us as much) and I already was in a dying software career.  Now , trying to train myself to see if I can find more work and hoping my decent credit can get me a loan in these rough times.

Thanks again for the input everyone gave me and I am praying for everyone's safety through all these challenges we are facing here.

I would only add that learning to reload would fit in nicely with your mindset.. Good luck and hope that business picks up. It's a great joy and a burden being self employed. Been that way for 30 years myself.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Raoul said:

I would only add that learning to reload would fit in nicely with your mindset.. Good luck and hope that business picks up. It's a great joy and a burden being self employed. Been that way for 30 years myself.

Raoul, reloading is on my Todo list!! Attempted to get a reloading setup in the past, but the stress of life and job  and limited finances kind of had me put it off. I even have a bunch of books on reloading.    Oh well, hopefully in the near future in a post-pandemic world. 🙂  I even own a couple guns where reloading would be very advantageous.

9 minutes ago, 4Freedom said:

Raoul, reloading is on my Todo list!! Attempted to get a reloading setup in the past, but the stress of life and job  and limited finances kind of had me put it off. I even have a bunch of books on reloading.    Oh well, hopefully in the near future in a post-pandemic world. 🙂  I even own a couple guns where reloading would be very advantageous.

I recommend a reloading partner. My shooting partner and I reload everything except .22. Funny aside...O'bummer was the best thing that ever happened to me with regards to shooting. My reloading buddy and I picked up all the brass we could and sold it by the thousand. It's possible that at my age we might still have enough components to keep us shooting until my children sell the guns after I pass....lol

• Like 1
On 3/26/2020 at 9:40 PM, Raoul said:

I recommend a reloading partner. My shooting partner and I reload everything except .22. Funny aside...O'bummer was the best thing that ever happened to me with regards to shooting. My reloading buddy and I picked up all the brass we could and sold it by the thousand. It's possible that at my age we might still have enough components to keep us shooting until my children sell the guns after I pass....lol

Raoul, I hope I can make some friends eventually in Tennessee.  Even before the "Quarantine"-ish situation , I was locked up in my house for last 2 years struggling, night and day to save my software career and business. Now, I am working on overdrive , trying to help the family biz dying an even earlier death and wondering if I will even have a roof over my head in the next year.  Having to work and study full time, like 70-80 hrs/week.

I was hoping to get out and meet some people here in Tennessee, as I haven't met even one person after 6 months of living here. Now that we are being forced into a quarantine like /social distancing situation, I doubt I am going to be making any new reloading buddies anytime soon.

I  definitely would not start reloading on my own. I had a bad experience once at a cowboy shoot shooting a guy's reloads and definitely know you gotta watch yourself with them.  He just had eye surgery (and failed to tell me) and I ended up shooting a squib load and he messed up his measurements or something.   I was lucky that gun didn't explode in my face.   I thought them being a bunch of experienced shooters and lending me a gun to use for cowboy shoot I would not have such risks. Haaa!! The old saying never shoot another person's reload is now adopted by me religiously!   

I have a S&W 460 I would love to shoot one of these days.. I was planning on doing trips up to Alaska and liked how gentle it could fire off those .454 rounds.. The .460 rounds were grizzly though, ouch.   Mostly stick to my Ruger Redhawk , as I got no cash to shoot a .454 or .460 round now.   Was a gun I bought just because I Love collecting revolvers.. Hoping one day to get my hands on a Colt Anaconda, tried begging a guy once (when I had the cash) and he refused to sell it to me.   

Hoping to get a nice single stage reloading setup one of these days and reload .460, 9mm and 5.56 rounds to save costs and get some nice custom loads.

To be honest, I have been so busy and struggling financially I haven't done much shooting in years. I've really wanted to get back into it, but now I am worried about even staying alive, I guess I have other priorities.    It's kind of a lonely time for me, but I got lots of software material I will be learning and was planning on being locked up another year anyway.  My life is just continuing on the same way, even though I was all looking forward to getting out and meeting folks.   I am banking on getting this loan and hoping coronavirus will reduce the interest rates.   

Edited by 4Freedom
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just checked my status a couple days ago and it said my application was "APPROVED AND LICENSE WILL SHIP APRIL 20th TO APRIL 27th"..  Hurray!! I am very happy! 😃    That is progress! Yes, it may take a couple months to get it, but considering we are in a Worldwide Pandemic, that is acceptable to me.  Even if TN was Constitutional Carry, having a permit for your own state, especially in a time of crisis is always a good idea if you have to travel for some reason.   

I know it is sad, but I may have delayed getting my permit for sometime due to those 7hr wait times at the DMV.. I sure hope TN does go Constitutional Carry and allow their Sheriff Dept to handle processing like most other states to unload the burden of an already overworked DMV .

Anyhow, that is about the only good thing that came out of this Pandemic for me is not having to wait more than 30 minutes on a Wednesday afternoon at the DMV.  

I am excited when I actually see this thing in my hand..  

Edited by 4Freedom
  • Like 1

It's a miracle, but my concealed handgun license arrived in the mail today!! Hurray!  Nice to know I am all good to go legally for conceal carry. I even have the licensed that allows me to open carry in Tennessee :D I never open carry, except when I go hiking in the rural Northwest or Montana.  Still nice to know you have such a privilege (yes, I know technically a right).

Anyhow, I think I had to wait a total of 30 days since I applied at the DMV...  I have to say not a bad wait considering the crisis we are going through.  Not sure if you can even apply for a new concealed handgun license now.. But, glad I got mine when I did.. Didn't have to wait 8 hours at the DMV either 😃

Is it true that once you have a TN CHL and leaving the state to live somewhere else and move back to Tennessee that they can re-instate the permit you had without having to go through the course , long application wait and such again, as long as you are not past the expiration date?  That is what they told me at the DMV, but would like to confirm with someone who is savvy about the laws.

42 minutes ago, 4Freedom said:

Is it true that once you have a TN CHL and leaving the state to live somewhere else and move back to Tennessee that they can re-instate the permit you had without having to go through the course , long application wait and such again, as long as you are not past the expiration date?  That is what they told me at the DMV, but would like to confirm with someone who is savvy about the laws.

Congrats on getting your permit.

You have an EHCP (Enhanced Handgun Carry Permit), not a CHL.

If it’s not expired I don’t know why you would need to renew it. You would need to have proof of residence in Tennessee to use it. You can renew it up to one renewal cycle without having to take the test again.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Congrats on getting your permit.

You have an EHCP (Enhanced Handgun Carry Permit), not a CHL.

If it’s not expired I don’t know why you would need to renew it. You would need to have proof of residence in Tennessee to use it. You can renew it up to one renewal cycle without having to take the test again.

Thanks Dave!   Sorry, I always get the names wrong, back in Oregon (where I am from) people used to scold me for calling it a permit, because it was an Oregon Concealed Handgun License, since Open Carry is legal without a permit.   So, you know , old habits die hard, but there is reasons for the various names of each states license/permit/etc.

I actually did my handgun carry permit course last year before they changed the laws and there was only the 8 hour course available.  I probably would have done the longer course , anyway, though.   I had a pretty good instructor and I always walk away from each course learning something new.    I just did an 8 hour North Carolina course the previous year, but ended up leaving North Carolina before I could apply for my NC CCHP.  I wasn't in a rush since North Carolina recognized my other three licenses/permits, even being a resident.

Currently, I have a Utah CFP, Arizona CWP and even my Idaho CWL hasn't experied yet.  Sadly, my Colorado CHP automatically was invalidated when I left Colorado.  I like that my Tennessee EHCP is recognized in places like South Carolina and Florida where many permits are not recognized.   It is kind of funny that people with a Georgia WCL (a neighboring state) state cannot carry in South Carolina.  Reciprocity laws drive me kind of crazy at times. 

Edited by 4Freedom