Remington 7400 30-06

loadedp3at

The 0 6 will take anything in the lower 48 except for grizzlies, although they have been taken with them also. It is my favorite caliber. Are they the best, ?????  Matter of opinion. Your rifle is a good choice for deer hunting.

I had a Weatherby Vanguard , in 30 06, and gave it to my grandson 2 year ago for Christmas. He took 2 with it last fall. I am left with a 7MM 08, and a 308 both Savages. Going to give another grandson the 308 this year. He is 12 and hunts with his dad. I figure he will be able to find the 308 ammo easier and it will be more affordable for a kid.   

Let us know if you have any issues when you get out and put some rounds through it.

I’ve had a chance to get the 7400 in 308 a few times but have always passed because the overlap between my 700VLS bolt and my AR10; there just wasn’t a need or a want. But because I like Walnut and high gloss blue, they are still a possible option before all those guns are gone.

I’ve never had a problem with a Remington Rifle or Shotgun.

Edited by DaveTN
6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I've had a few in the past. Decent deer rifle. I was prone to get in the deer stand and discover I'd left the magazine at home. NOT the fault of Remington or the rifle.

Couldn’t you pull that bullet out of your front shirt pocket and load it? 

• Haha 2

I have one in .270 that my dad got me for Christmas when I was 18. I have Failures to feed failures to eject so I make the first shot count. It has cost me a9 point and a few coyotes. It makes dad happy to see me hunt with it though.

I had a model 742 BDL in 30-06 yrs ago. It was stolen out of my Bronco. Had it for about 10 yrs. Never had an issue with it. Laid quite a few deer & groundhogs to rest.

It was the forerunner of the 7400. Can't say how well made they are today. If possible, run some rounds thru it & see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

They supposedly don't hold up to much shooting; the receiver will get battered up.   The mag design is also finicky, they are very sensitive to magazine height in relation to the bolt, and Remington has a variety of mag catch sizes to adjust this.   They are also not the most accurate rifle out there.

I had wanted one for years, but after working on a couple of problematic ones, I soon counted myself glad I didn't have one.   I still kind of want a Browning BAR, however.

• 3 years later...
On 3/26/2020 at 12:21 AM, KahrMan said:

They are by no means a match rifle. If you want a good handling, quick follow up minute of deer rifle then you can’t beat them. 
I think they are one of the Most under appreciated deer rifles around. 

Agreed, it's an excellent 100 yard and closer deer rifle allowing quick follow up shots when necessary.

On 4/7/2020 at 1:42 PM, ken_mays said:

They supposedly don't hold up to much shooting; the receiver will get battered up.   The mag design is also finicky, they are very sensitive to magazine height in relation to the bolt, and Remington has a variety of mag catch sizes to adjust this.   They are also not the most accurate rifle out there.

I had wanted one for years, but after working on a couple of problematic ones, I soon counted myself glad I didn't have one.   I still kind of want a Browning BAR, however.

Agreed, back in the day they were solid performers, but now hard to get parts magazines, etc...  Like you I would love to get a newer BAR mark III in 30-06 for closer in big timber deer hunting!